1 1
Nicovj

Device to record altitude vs time precisely on a graph?

Question

Hello,

For highschool, I have to do an investigation on a chosen topic. I decided to look at the rate of descend of a parachute depending on size of the canopy. I was wondering if there were devices (made for skydiving) that precisely recorded altitude and time and that the data could then be collected after jumping in order to plot a graph of altitude vs. time. I know they use this technology for skydiving but I can't find which device they use and if it's useful/applicable and precise enough for canopy piloting. 

I have heard that the protrack 2 can maybe do that but I am not completely sure of that information. What do you think and what do you guys recommend?

Blue skies, Nicoals

5 answers to this question

(edited)

there's several devices that will allow you to graph the canopy flight Dekunu One and Fly-sight are just 2

Edited by Squeak

On 5/12/2021 at 8:29 PM, IanHarrop said:

like this? 

Screenshot 2021-05-12 122756.png

Yes, this is what I am looking for. Which device was used? Is there a way of knowing the uncertainities?

(edited)

Aon X2 altimeter has a similar feature that may be applicable to what you are looking for. 

https://www.aon2.co.uk

Here's a screenshot of my canopy flight. The altimeter can downloads the info (XML file) into Google Earth and may be viewed in 2D / 3D / Graph. 

IMG_2975.PNG

Edited by Rio Santonil

On 5/14/2021 at 8:03 AM, Nicovj said:

Yes, this is what I am looking for. Which device was used? Is there a way of knowing the uncertainities?

This graph is from Jumplog which is Paralog's online product. You'll actually get much more details and graph options from the desktop product Paralog which you have to have to get Jumplog. I am using an Alti-2 Atlas to log my jumps. Paralog supports a number of logging devices. Checkout paralog.net for more information.