riggerrob

Mirrors to help pilots spot

Bob_Church

"I have given 90 degree corrections in the past. "

We had a pilot at the airport (not a dz) that wanted to learn to fly jumpers to help out at the air shows. The first time he took us up the wind was coming straight down the runway. A couple of days later he took us up and used the same flight path, figuring "hey it worked last time," and I finally got to say "90 right!"
Even with regular pilots that have a little jump experience I've learned to navigate completely differently. Since the pilot we usually use seems physically unable to do a correction of less than 30 degrees I get him going in the general direction but set it up so that I can give one big correction that puts me over the spot. Since I can't control the direction of approach I just make sure I'm ready to go as soon as he is over it.

Many moons ago we were in the plane with an old time skydiver who was also a professor at a top university. He was extremely precise in his corrections, and wanted to spot one day. We were at altitude but about 10 miles from the DZ when he stuck his head out the door and started giving the pilot corrections. TBF there was a fair bit of scattered cloud so it wasn't the easiest day to spot.

Anyway, the boys in the back of the plane began adding up his corrections...."10 degrees left", "20 degrees right" etc until he finally gave the pilot the cut.

We got out and opened about 2 miles from the DZ, and later in the bar we figured that the total of his corrections came to more than 360 degrees.....caused bit of a laugh at the old gentlemans expense.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

JohnMitchell

Since the pilot we usually use seems physically unable to do a correction of less than 30 degrees

:S Not a very good pilot, in my book, sheesh. :D

To paraphrase many many other people under various circumstances "I get to altitude with the pilot I've got, not the pilot I want."