JumpCO

Questions About Log Books

Specially-printed logbooks are available from USPA, CSPA, BPA, Cypres, Para-Gear and a dozen other dealers. As long as they contain all the important data: date, place, type of airplane, type of parachute, altitudes, distance from target, instructor's signature, etc. they are valid records.
A notebook is not quite as good a record, because it does not have specifically-defined lines for data and you might forget to write down something important.
The challenge comes when you apply for your next USPA license or rating and USPA headquarters staff cannot read the scribbles in your note book.

JumpCO

So I jumped a different dropzone for my first time last week and they called me out for not having the official USPA log book. I just use a notebook and put all of the same information in with signatures. Does it matter?

What is "an offical USPA logbook"?

The SIM covers what info needs to be logged (sec 3-1-C), but I'm unaware of any format requirements.

I'm on my third one. The first was the little student one (paper cover, stapled together, maybe 10 pages). Not the blue one from Paragear, but the same thing with a cover custom to the DZ.

2nd one was the one by Precision Freefall that the major dealers sell. 2 jumps per page, maybe 200 pages(?). I ran out of space at a boogie, and simply used blank paper to log a few more jumps. I used the same format, just without the lines on the paper.

Currently using the one that came with my CYPRES. It is somewhat flexible. I use the "2 jumps per page" format from the last one, but it is set up that something like 10 jumps per page can be logged, just no room for a narrative (each jump would go into a column with the pertinent info).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Jerry is right. As long as you have a written record of your jumps with all needed info, it should be fine. Remember anyway that for license purpose and for some DZs, your logbook with signatures is important. If you go at Perris Valley for instance, they will look at your logbook and they will even take a photocopy of at least the last pages.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

>Does it matter?

As others have said "no", it doesn't matter. As long as the pertinent information is there.

Even an aircraft log entry - which is an FAA required document - can be written on a loose piece of paper or a "restaurant napkin". It just has to have the required information and be retained for the correct amount of time.

The next time someone gives you grief about your "personalized" log book you might want to mention this and ask why they would have a more stringent requirement than the FAA.