9 9
jeanneretjerome

Altimeter for Garmin Fenix 5 & 6 for FREE

It's run on Epix 2 but sadly no option to keep the screen non-dimmable during freefall and under the canopy fly. Maybe it's possible to add the function to keep the screen full brightness ON(on the Amoled watches). And one more suggestion: Could be convenient to have the possibility to rotate the screen. For 90 degrees for example like this. A bit easier screen reading when the arms are on the risers. Great app anyway! Thank you.

photo_2022-05-25_10-36-12.jpg

Great app, thank you!  Seems to work really, really well on my Fenix 7s and stay very close to my Viso, even in freefall.  The only issue I'm having is that nothing is logging in the connect app.  It shows the activity and a tiny amount of mileage and that's it.

Does it require the phone to record live (keep my phone on me during the jump), or will it update after(if I jump without the phone)?  

The only other thing I'm thinking is that I might be killing the app before it finishes.  I've been clicking back 4 times and that seems to be the only way to exit. Wondering if that's correct?

Thanks for your effort on this! Great work!

Hello, thanks both for your feedback and idea!

- To log data: you need to start the recording function by pushing the Select button. You will see a blue bug indicating the direction to the DZ and distance to DZ. At the next connection with your iPhone Garmin App, data will be transferred.

- To exit the App, you need to push 3x in a short time. This specificities has been added after users experiencing unvoluntary App exit. 

- I will check the screen brightness, I believe this is set in the standard Garmin menu. You should be able to get it to max power during App, but again I will see if I can add something in my program.

- Excellent idea for the screen rotation. I will check if that is not too complex to be implemented.

I add the manual for your review.

Be safe.

JJ

Altimeter App Manual.pdf

16 hours ago, jeanneretjerome said:

Hello, thanks both for your feedback and idea!

- To log data: you need to start the recording function by pushing the Select button. You will see a blue bug indicating the direction to the DZ and distance to DZ. At the next connection with your iPhone Garmin App, data will be transferred.

- To exit the App, you need to push 3x in a short time. This specificities has been added after users experiencing unvoluntary App exit. 

- I will check the screen brightness, I believe this is set in the standard Garmin menu. You should be able to get it to max power during App, but again I will see if I can add something in my program.

- Excellent idea for the screen rotation. I will check if that is not too complex to be implemented.

I add the manual for your review.

Be safe.

JJ

Altimeter App Manual.pdf 330.23 kB · 0 downloads

Fantastic, that was what I needed.  I figured it was something easy, and the manual is helpful as well!  Thanks again for the app and if I find anything that might be helpful, I'll be sure to let you know.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:59 PM, jeanneretjerome said:

It should work with Epix. I did not yet have the time to test it.

Connect your garmin to your PC and copy this file into the Garmin/app folder and it should be ok. You should see an altimeter app into the Garmin. 

be aware you need to be outside to use. During the initiation, the Garmin will get a position fix, which will be assumed to be the dropzone.

BarometricAltimeter.prg 26.68 kB · 4 downloads

Any news about Epix?

I want to upgrade my Fenix 6 and trying to figure out if it will be Fenix 7 solar sapphire or Epix....

Hi Jerome, 

in the ConnectIQ store both of your apps (Responsive and accurate Altimeter (barometric); Altimeter and Variometer)  do not show the Epix2 as a compatible device. 

As it works so great with the Fenix 6, I am looking forward to using it on the Epic soon :-)

To all others here: The app works great! Using it since it's early days Jerome is very responsive in taking feedback and integrating it into updates.

New version supporting D2 watches. I also added the recording time on the screen.

For the Instinct, I tried but with the b/w screen, the quality is very poor. I did however compile the file. The soft is attached. You need to copy it to the Garmin directory of the watches. But, frankly, I cannot do more for Instinct. Sorry. 

BarometricAltimeter.prg

Thanks for the feedback. Any idea for improvement? And did you connect to your phone to review the data like opening g and warning for aad trigger conditions? 

I received some good ideas i.e. rotating screen and connection to earplug to provide glide and speed info, but often Garmin does not provide the technology, but we never  know.

Be safe,

Thank you for creating the app!!   

I have one suggestion: can the altitude offset be set higher and quicker, for example 1000m above ground - for basejumping exits for example.  At the moment it would take very long because the numbers are cycling through pretty slowly

15 hours ago, jeanneretjerome said:

Thanks for the feedback. Any idea for improvement? And did you connect to your phone to review the data like opening g and warning for aad trigger conditions? 

I received some good ideas i.e. rotating screen and connection to earplug to provide glide and speed info, but often Garmin does not provide the technology, but we never  know.

Be safe,

Hi.

I used it for another 10 jumps yesterday, Compared it against my viso for 3 Jumps - EXCELLENT!!!  

Here is some improvement I think will be nice:

1. The most important for me is the option to start the app not on the ground...

Just to skip the GPS calibration and calibrate it to zero or to higher altitude  manually.

2. The option to invert colors so it will be easier to read.

3. I will be happy to be able to cancel the GPS for better battery life.

4. the option to stop and resume later (jus like Garmin's activities)

I got the data on my phone, I couldn't see all the data on the phones app so I opened Garmin connect on the web and it is all there, looks very accurate data.

Thanks 

Gilead

With more than 400 people using the App and many requests for additional functions, I had to develop a Pro Version. The Pro Version will cost around 15$ and will be released soon. However, the standard version will still be available and free of charge. I tried to avoid this but the time to develop new functions is quite severe.

The Pro Version has the following additions:
- Set altitude manually;
- Switch Background color white/black;
- Dropzone location is saved in the App. So the App will not re-acquire a dropzone GPS location at each start of the day. The possibility to initiate the DZ location is also available.

The Data transfer to the Garmin Connect mobile application for data review like glide, speed, position, altitude, g, AAD warning alarm... are still available.

A short video to present the main changes. 

AltiPro.pdf

I developed the altimeter App for skydiving, both are great products, but I would recommend the Fenix, especially the solar with sapphire model. The amoled is great but too much consumption. I cannot comment on the sensors of the Epix, but the Fenix sensors are very well suited for skydiving (refresh freq, precision...). Enjoy Christmas.