patworks

Life experiences are what then IS

Golly, First i was impressed by the bredth and depth of the new Skydiving-Encyclopedia i was impressed that ISIS hacked us, then . . . Lately im awed by my Skydiving Research and only drafted. Neat stuff. Severral are heretofore unrefealed or were incorrectl. Kewl. Hey, Dumbfounded that i am CeNSORED. (Already been outcast.) Hoping to be able to tunnel fly. Astounded by the Million-hits in 2016. Enchanted about tomorrows.

Ours.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

He's been talking like that probably since before you were born. He was one of the very earliest people to start to develop relative work into something besides "let's see if we can get close enough and slow enough to pass a baton." He was one of the earliest free fliers, long before it was called free flying.

He's earned the respect of every skydiver, whether or not they realize. He's changed the sport, and for the better. Now he's putting together a trove of information so that it can be shared with the future. Kind of like how people are always wondering "I wonder what they were thinking then?" Well, he's trying to make sure that's answered at least some of the time.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

CrashProne

Maybe lay off the green a little bit...

Dude... Look at the license #s!!! 4 digit D# !! Talking smack is fun but be careful. You really don't want a verbal spanking from the skydive community. I'm really lucky to be friends with a 3 digit D# jumper and his insight and stories are incredible. I personally would love to meet this dude!!
Whale oil beef hooked

Agreed!
Pat talks fast - but if you can follow - you will learn something every time you chat with Pat.
The other issue is that Pat is more of a "zen" skydiver than a "nuts and bolts" skydiver (Dan Poynter and most riggers).
I like Pat's approach to filling in "what-were-they-thinking?" behind modern practices and regulations because most regulations are written in blood, but people quickly forget the bloody lesson (crash in Perris 1992), and by the time regulations are published, the rules cannot be understood by reasonable men.
Then lawyers find loopholes and the rule gets mangled beyond recognition.
The only thing I fear more than airplane crashes is lawyers.

We are fortunate to have people like Pat Works who fill-in-the-details of what-were-they-thinking way-back-when.

barefut

***Maybe lay off the green a little bit...

Dude... Look at the license #s!!! 4 digit D# !! Talking smack is fun but be careful. You really don't want a verbal spanking from the skydive community. I'm really lucky to be friends with a 3 digit D# jumper and his insight and stories are incredible. I personally would love to meet this dude!!

You may have already. And not even know it.

Really.

Sitting around a fire at SDC Summerfest and Pirate brings this fella around, introduces him as "Pat."

Nice guy, has a few beers and some very pleasant conversation.

I don't find out until two days later who it really was.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

No offense intended, just a little joke about the incomprehensible nature of the original post! I am regularly in the company of some other 4 digit D's, and if any of them start talking like that, I'll make the same joke to them, then ask for an interpreter.

Maybe after I've been around a couple more years it'll start to make sense...

At any rate, please excuse my irreverent sense of humor. Admittedly, it's not that uncommon for me to be the only one laughing!

patworks

Golly, First i was impressed by the bredth and depth of the new Skydiving-Encyclopedia i was impressed that ISIS hacked us, then . . . Lately im awed by my Skydiving Research and only drafted. Neat stuff. Severral are heretofore unrefealed or were incorrectl. Kewl. Hey, Dumbfounded that i am CeNSORED. (Already been outcast.) Hoping to be able to tunnel fly. Astounded by the Million-hits in 2016. Enchanted about tomorrows.

Ours.

I just read Parachuting: The Art of Freefall Relative Work http://works-words.com/NSM-WIKI/WP/wordpress/wiki/skydiving/skydiving-and-parachuting-books/parachuting-the-art-of-freefall-relative-work/ the other night at work. Someone had left a bunch of books at our DZ, I opened the cover and saw that Pat had signed it :) Its a great read! Thanks Pat! I love your website and reading about the history of skydiving. I will send you a PM

Back in the early 80s during my fourth malfunction I would have bounced without Pat's advice. While the USPA was saying "always look at your handles before you pull them" he had written "if you have to look you'll get killed when you get ground rush." After I read that I always practiced without looking. I was at Z-hills and me and some one I'd just met took a 2 way to 1500 feet then I had a total. Going through a grand at terminal was just like he'd warned. While my eyes were hypnotized by ground rush my hands did what I'd kept practicing and got a my reserve out. I was head low and terminal when the 20 foot SAC opened. I woke up under canopy, but I woke up.

Pat Works : SCS #1

Honor the pioneers. They risked everything and taught us how to fly.

Few experiences more enlightening or enjoyable than listening to D-69 share his stories of the early days. (He qualified for his D license with that first group of single digit jumpers from Orange /PI...preferred the designation "69.")

CrashProne

At any rate, please excuse my irreverent sense of humor. Admittedly, it's not that uncommon for me to be the only one laughing!

Damn pilots! :D:D

How you doin' today, CP?B|

Yeah, Pat was one heck of a guru back in the day, helping pioneer a lot of the stuff we take for granted today. He's actually a former engineer and very technically savvy, but he likes to get pretty zen from time to time, realizing that skydiving can be a pretty spiritual experience for many. I'm glad to see him still writing. :)

Bob_Church

Back in the early 80s during my fourth malfunction I would have bounced without Pat's advice.

That is a fundamental principle you touched on. The USPA and most skydiving instruction teaches safety. Pat Works preaches survival. He understood that sooner or later you'll find yourself outside the boundaries of "safety", where the rules won't save you. At that point you have to be prepared to survive. Thanks, Pat, for the good lessons. B|

WOW! Very. Having a fellow traveler treck with and lead makes my heart big.

You point out that knowledge of anything makes everything real soon.

You help explode our mind. 4th of July air show.

Your kind words help fill a hole in me. I thank thee
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Golly. You held up a mirror foreign to me. Translated in words i speak, i relish such dumbfounded. Air bird, I sing. Your words reflect what I write to accrue: the History of the Fine Traditions of me and you. Sky people
we are the everything that will be when we learn to see.
Admire your foresight XO

Well Shit Howdy. Folks here went and pulled my head out of my ass for me. Smiles, giggles, reflection in mirrors illuminates depths i'd avoid. Reality check. THANK all y'all fr the images. Revealing + welcome here & now anyhow. XO, OX all.
Share living. Save life. Fertile soil. Plant seeds. Expect astounding results. :-)

Good points Bob Church!
At the start of the process, we drill rigid "religious" emergency procedures into students to help them survive their first hundred skydives.
Hopefully - later on - they listen to a guru (like Pat) who teaches them more zen concepts for reacting to malfunctions. e.g. "Continue pulling handles until your goggles fill with blood."
Zen concepts do not replace original procedures, rather they expand jumpers' minds and help them consider more options.

A few years back (amazing how much time that can cover, isn't it) we had a jumper come into the hangar talking about how close he'd just come to cutting away. His right toggle had stuck in the toggle keeper and he couldn't break it free. It finally came out on his one last tug. I told him that the trick to that was to reach above to the top of the riser and hold that while tugging on it with the other hand. He said he couldn't, his canopy was pretty small and anytime he released the left toggle it went into too much of a spin. I said that at that point you hold the left toggle with your teeth. You may still have some turn but not enough to be a problem. He said, and I kid you not, "put the toggle in my *mouth*" and made it clear he would never even consider it.
I just lowered my head and walked away.

patworks

... I am a fellow fool trying to laugh .... ep. the post was gibberish babble rap. Me letting excess mind gas escape Brain fart

I've visited the encyclopedia and spent half a day reading. I realized I'd already read more than a few of your stories, but now I can link a name and a character to them. I also figured out that sometimes it helps to let my mind slip into 'poetry mode' so as to find the flow...

I hope you're having a great day, and I look forward to the possibility of being properly introduced someday.

As for me? The sun is shining and I think I'll throw my rig in the saddlebags and go jump with JohnMitchell!