Hey guys, looking at a used crossfire 2 don 2016 with 50 jumps. I’m at about 450 jumps rn and on the 129 I’ll be loading it at 1.4 Just looking into if there’s a big difference between the crossfire 2/3. I’ve read the 3 is a little more aggressive and dives more than compared 2 that have a slightly flat glide characteristic atleast to the newer 3. Just looking for more insight and some other opinions on the topic and if it’s worth the money to buy this basically brand new crossfire 2 129 over looking into grabbing the 3?

any info helps thanks peeps!

I’m not a good enough canopy pilot to say anything actually helpful in terms of the different flight characteristics. But I did a few hundred jumps on a CF2 129 and about 250 so far on the CF3 109. 

For sure the CF3 is a bit more ground hungry and sensitive on toggles but how much of that is the 2 vs 3 and how much is the downsize. 

What I would say is that you could flip a coin and you’d be stoked with either canopy. I’ve found them both extremely consistent and reliable regardless of how you pack them and stand up landings are easy in all conditions. 

You’ll pay more for the 3 but it will also be worth more when you flick it on to the next owner. If the CF2 is a good deal I wouldn’t hesitate too much, unless you’re like me and need to have the latest :)

You should make your decision on the type of canopy piloting you'd like to do.

The CF2 is not suitable to learn HP turns, the recovery arc is too short. Nice and safe everyday canopy designed for the non-swooper.

The CF3 is fine for learning HP turns. It's most peoples introduction wing for doing 90's etc.

3 hours ago, BigL said:

You should make your decision on the type of canopy piloting you'd like to do.

The CF2 is not suitable to learn HP turns, the recovery arc is too short. Nice and safe everyday canopy designed for the non-swooper.

The CF3 is fine for learning HP turns. It's most peoples introduction wing for doing 90's etc.

I haven't flown a CF2 but is it really that much shorter than the 3? I start my 90s on my CF3 (129) at 360 ft but with my Katana 120 I'm starting at 500ft. I love the CF3 but it still has a pretty quick recovery arc.

The CF2 is known for that, and that was my experience when I borrowed a 119 for a few loads.

The CF3 dives more from what I've seen, still quick but fine to learn 90's on.

I liked the Katana the most and that's the way I went.