1 1
wmw999

Only some bones are sacred

17 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Shit. I just sat down with some popcorn to watch this and you turn the TV off. 

it would've been a short one anyway, i have to go rescue my son's car that broke down last night.  18 and learned a hard lesson:  listen to dad when he tells you to make sure you have a charger for your phone in the car.  phone was dead and he had to walk 3 miles to call me last night.  i could've gotten to him in 30 minutes had he texted.  too bad i had already started a beer.  aaa took significantly longer.

On 5/2/2021 at 4:31 AM, lippy said:

Occasionally I'll pop over to Foxnews.com to try to balance out my news consumption.  The most racist, sexist hate speech I've ever come across has been in the Fox News comments section.

I agree the comments section is pretty bad at fox. But check out breitbart if you want to take a deeper dive sometime.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:42 AM, sfzombie13 said:

power is what makes it racism.  you need to research a little more on this subject, as i had to.  i had the same arguments you have now, it took a long time for that to sink in to me for some reason.  what you are describing in all of those communities is prejudice, not racism.  unless they are in their own land, such as asians in china acting in a racist manner towards white folks, or black folks in zimbabwe discriminating against asians.  you don't have to agree with the people who wrote the article i linked to in the comment, but that does not make it any less true.  without the teeth, it is the same as any other prejudice.

What? No. The definition of racism isn’t ‘prejudice that has consequences’. That makes no sense. 

A white guy who hates all Asians is just as racist if he lives in China as if he lives in Europe or North America.

2 hours ago, jakee said:

A white guy who hates all Asians is just as racist if he lives in China as if he lives in Europe or North America.

Exactly.  SF would have us believe that as soon as he lost his power to negatively impact Asians, he is no longer racist.  Of course he really is; he's just able to do less damage without power.

7 hours ago, billvon said:

Exactly.  SF would have us believe that as soon as he lost his power to negatively impact Asians, he is no longer racist.  Of course he really is; he's just able to do less damage without power.

dude, i don't care if you believe it or not, that's what it is.  it took me years to accept it, and not until i had a particular discussion one time did it click.  prejudice is  in everyone, but racism is only there if the power to oppress is there with it. 

10 hours ago, jakee said:

that is the definition of prejudice, not racism.  the guy in china that hates asians can't do anything about it systemically, just individually.  it makes perfect sense.  everyone is prejudiced, some towards skin color, some towards other things.  not everyone is racist, even if it is whites hating on blacks.  that would depend on the circumstances surrounding it.

why is it so hard for folks to accept that things change?  one time, giving someone the finger meant "go to hell".  sometime that changed to "fuck you".  not many recall the go to hell part, and some have argued with me that it wasn't true. 

40 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

dude, i don't care if you believe it or not, that's what it is.

Dude, when your argument devolves to "this word means what I want it to mean; both common usage and the dictionary is wrong" - it's not that great an argument.

Just saying.

that is the definition of prejudice, not racism.

That is the definition of a prejudice.  That particular prejudice happens to be racism.  There are a lot of them out there.

if it were my idea, i would see your point.  i didn't make this shit up, i am repeating what i have learned from others.  i didn't agree with it when i first heard it, but when it was explained to me, i got it.  it makes sense now.  again, your call to learn it or not, i am not able to explain it to you, just point out that you're wrong.  it's part of the reason that it will probably never get fixed.

7 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

dude, i don't care if you believe it or not, that's what it is. 

That's not what it is. You're just redefining words.

that is the definition of prejudice, not racism.  the guy in china that hates asians can't do anything about it systemically, just individually.  it makes perfect sense.  everyone is prejudiced, some towards skin color, some towards other things.  not everyone is racist, even if it is whites hating on blacks.  that would depend on the circumstances surrounding it.

When racism is made systemic, it's systemic racism. That's why we use both words - to clarify which form of racism we're talking about. It doesn't mean other types of racism aren't racism.

why is it so hard for folks to accept that things change?  one time, giving someone the finger meant "go to hell".  sometime that changed to "fuck you".  not many recall the go to hell part, and some have argued with me that it wasn't true. 

Sounds to me like both of those are the same thing, and that you just really like having pointless semantic arguments.

3 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

sfzombie13: You are arguing with people who advocate thought control as well as behavior control.

Nahh.

He's arguing with people who don't think words should be redefined to what one wants them to mean.

And as far as 'behavior control' and 'thought control', the worst offenders throughout history on those little gems have been...

Organized religion.

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Nahh.

He's arguing with people who don't think words should be redefined to what one wants them to mean.

And as far as 'behavior control' and 'thought control', the worst offenders throughout history on those little gems have been...

Organized religion.

No argument here. I am not a fan of organized religion.

"No Religion

Just Jesus."

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

No argument here. I am not a fan of organized religion.

"No Religion

Just Jesus."

25 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

^.^:D:rofl:

Right.

Sure you're not. 

"The Johnson Amendment is a provision in the U.S. tax code, since 1954, that prohibits all 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations from endorsing or opposing political candidates. Section 501(c)(3) organizations are the most common type of nonprofit organization in the United States, ranging from charitable foundations to universities and churches. The amendment is named for then-Senator Lyndon B. Johnson of Texas, who introduced it in a preliminary draft of the law in July 1954.

In the early 21st century, some politicians, including President Donald Trump, have sought to repeal the provision, arguing that it restricts the free speech rights of churches and other religious groups. These efforts have been criticized because churches have fewer reporting requirements than other non-profit organizations, and because it would effectively make political contributions tax-deductible.[1] On May 4, 2017, Trump signed an executive order "to defend the freedom of religion and speech" for the purpose of easing the Johnson Amendment's restrictions."

'Unholy' Examines The Alliance Between White Evangelicals And Trump. a NPR feature.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Nahh.

Organized religion.

Certainly not Mao, Pol Pot, or Stalin.

7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Organized religion.

Real gems like: Treat others as you would wish to be treated, don’t  kill, don’t steal, respect your parents and don’t bang your neighbors wife.  Some real nasty ones there. 

15 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Real gems like: Treat others as you would wish to be treated, don’t  kill, don’t steal, respect your parents and don’t bang your neighbors wife.  Some real nasty ones there. 

There's this strongly recurring theme with you, Brent. You appear to believe that listing a few good things any person or organisation has ever said or done somehow proves that they have never said or done anything bad.

You do it over and over again, despite how glaringly obvious the flaw in your logic is. It doesn't make you seem very smart.

1 minute ago, jakee said:

There's this strongly recurring theme with you, Brent. You appear to believe that listing a few good things any person or organisation has ever said or done somehow proves that they have never said or done anything bad.

You do it over and over again, despite how glaringly obvious the flaw in your logic is. It doesn't make you seem very smart.

The irony is that you believe listing a few bad things a person or organization has ever said or done somehow proves they are bad despite any good they have done.  You do it over and over again despite how glaring obvious the flaw in your logic is.  I will reserve judgment on your intellect, however it is clear you have no capacity for detecting irony.

8 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

sfzombie13: You are arguing with people who advocate thought control as well as behavior control.

i don't think anyone is calling for thought control and i'm not arguing, just stating a fact.  everyone knows that language changes, and it does so when it needs to.  ask anyone about the 2d amendment to verify that.  i don't particularly care if anyone accepts this as a fact either.  it's ok to be wrong, but in this case, it will never allow the problem to be solved if it cannot be accurately defined.  this is part of the definition, and some can't even accept that there is a problem at all.  i almost said, "good thing i'm white", but that does nothing to help anyone else.  i've always been ok and always will.  i have friends who need help though.  and i also care about all people, not just the ones who live in the us and look like me.

50 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The irony is that you believe listing a few bad things a person or organization has ever said or done somehow proves they are bad despite any good they have done.  You do it over and over again despite how glaring obvious the flaw in your logic is.  I will reserve judgment on your intellect, however it is clear you have no capacity for detecting irony.

Two problems there bud. First, you can't just say that I do it without and have it be true. You need examples.

Second, the thing you just said I do is not the same thing in reverse as the thing I said you do. Even the way you have specifically chosen to phrase your claim makes it quite clear that the same logical flaw does not necessarily apply.

It is ironic that in attempting to demonstrate a non-existent irony, you have only further demonstrated your lack of understanding of either irony or logic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Can't really state that religion is responsible for those morals.  Confucius came up with the golden rule five centuries before Jesus allegedly lived, and the others are probably knocked off of the 42 principles of Ma'at.

4 hours ago, jakee said:

Two problems there bud.

Just a word here. Once you start calling him "bud", it is clear that he has gotten the best of you and you are losing your shit. Which is his main goal. I've got nothing to say about the rest of your exchange with him, I have not and will not read it.

(edited)

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

????

Two problems there Brent. First, you can't just say that I do it and have it be true. You need examples.

Second, the thing you just said I do is not the same thing in reverse as the thing I said you do. Even the way you have specifically chosen to phrase your claim makes it quite clear that the same logical flaw does not apply.

It is ironic that in attempting to demonstrate a non-existent irony, you have only further demonstrated your lack of understanding of either irony or logic.

Edited by jakee

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Just a word here. Once you start calling him "bud", it is clear that he has gotten the best of you and you are losing your shit. 

What a strange interpretation. Either way, fixed it for for you.

14 hours ago, jakee said:

Examples please.