1 1
wmw999

Only some bones are sacred

3 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Thank you. I and my friends are at peace. We are prepared for the very remote worst. We are focusing on communal care. We are at that stage and we are drawing closer together. 

Our biggest question right now is, how long will they let Biden stay in office before tossing the ball to Kamala?

Who is "they"?

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Who is "they"?

I’ve only made it to season 3 in the Biden fan-fiction so far so I may be wrong, but I believe the current plot has it that Joe is too senile to run the show himself, and so at any time his handlers may decide to take the power away from their puppet and give it to (competent but evil) Kamala because CONSPIRACY!!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lippy said:

I’ve only made it to season 3 in the Biden fan-fiction so far so I may be wrong, but I believe the current plot has it that Joe is too senile to run the show himself, and so at any time his handlers may decide to take the power away from their puppet and give it to (competent but evil) Kamala because CONSPIRACY!!!!!

Dude, you can be such a jerk. You're supposed to announce SPOILER first.

6 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Our biggest question right now is, how long will they let Biden stay in office before tossing the ball to Kamala?

"I have simply lost interest in issues like why Trump supporters stormed the Capitol, which police officers they beat, where they defecated and what they vandalized and looted.  It simply does not affect me.  And the desecration of those children's remains?  I do not pay any attention to things that don't affect me.  It is a non issue.

But didja hear about how Harris is going to take the USA once the Deep State ousts Biden?  I saw it on the Internet!  This is BIG NEWS that I am quite informed about, and that affects me very much!"

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 1:22 PM, jakee said:

And the streak continues. You never miss an opportunity to showcase your ignorance. It’s impressive!

If systemic racism were such a problem, why wasn’t it addressed when we had an African American; President, AG and Secretary of Homeland Security and a Democrat controlled legislature?

On 4/27/2021 at 11:22 AM, jakee said:

And the streak continues. You never miss an opportunity to showcase your ignorance. It’s impressive!

24 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If systemic racism were such a problem, why wasn’t it addressed when we had an African American; President, AG and Secretary of Homeland Security and a Democrat controlled legislature?

While the "Patriots have their 17th straight season with 10+ wins, passing the 1983-98 49ers for the longest streak in NFL history. Here in SC we have our own winning streak.

29 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Because it permeates every aspect of society including the ones the Federal government has no direct control over and it’s actually a very complicated issue that can’t be easily fixed by any single new law?

(edited)
23 minutes ago, jakee said:

Because it permeates every aspect of society including the ones the Federal government has no direct control over and it’s actually a very complicated issue that can’t be easily fixed by any single new law?

But not even one attempt to address it in eight years?  From Obama’s inaugural address, “

That we are in the midst of crisis is now well understood.  Our nation is at war against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred.  Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age.  Homes have been lost, jobs shed, businesses shuttered.  Our health care is too costly, our schools fail too many -- and each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet.
These are the indicators of crisis, subject to data and statistics.  Less measurable, but no less profound, is a sapping of confidence across our land; a nagging fear that America's decline is inevitable, that the next generation must lower its sights.

Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real.  They are serious and they are many.  They will not be met easily or in a short span of time.  But know this America:  They will be met.”
No mention of systemic racism. Not only did he do nothing to fix it, apparently he was unaware of its existence. In fact I don’t recall the words “systemic racism” ever crossing his lips.
Edited by brenthutch

15 hours ago, gowlerk said:

That's nice. But I was more concerned about your wife who you were saying was having some health issues. I don't think very much or worry about Biden's health.

Thanks for asking. My wife is still under cardiac care from a stent emplacement last August and has residual bi-lateral pneumonia from Covid last October. She is strong in the Lord and His Holy Spirit and continues to co-manage our church food bank as well as our home.

48 minutes ago, jakee said:

it’s actually a very complicated issue 

“It’s complicated” is what folks say when faced with facts that run counter to their narrative.  More from Obama’s victory speech.

“If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

It's the answer told by lines that stretched around schools and churches in numbers this nation has never seen; by people who waited three hours and four hours, many for the very first time in their lives, because they believed that this time must be different; that their voice could be that difference.

It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled — Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of red states and blue states; we are, and always will be, the United States of America.”

No mention of systemic racism, in fact quite the opposite.

28 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Thanks for asking. My wife is still under cardiac care from a stent emplacement last August and has residual bi-lateral pneumonia from Covid last October. She is strong in the Lord and His Holy Spirit and continues to co-manage our church food bank as well as our home.

I'm glad to hear that she has been able to make some recovery. I wish her and you good health.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Fair question. The answer probably starts with introspection. What could they have done to affect change in you?

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Fair question. The answer probably starts with introspection. What could they have done to affect change in you?

Why do I need to be changed?  What have I done to systemically oppress anyone?  In my 57 years on this planet not one of my minority friends, teachers, military brothers, college professors, associates, coworkers, subordinates, peers, bosses or neighbors has ever even mentioned it.  Is it one of those things that no one can see, measure or feel, but it is secretly there?  Apparently Obama thought Americans’ penchant for large SUVs was more of a problem than systemic racism as he mentioned the former and not the latter.

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

Why do I need to be changed?  What have I done to systemically oppress anyone?

See how quickly you dismiss the idea of even looking at yourself and are relying on other people to tell you. That is why systemic racism is so incredibly difficult to change. You aren't even willing to consider it exists, while at the same time demanding to know why it wasn't changed.

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Why do I need to be changed?  What have I done to systemically oppress anyone?  In my 57 years on this planet not one of my minority friends, teachers, military brothers, college professors, associates, coworkers, subordinates, peers, bosses or neighbors has ever even mentioned it.  Is it one of those things that no one can see, measure or feel, but it is secretly there?  Apparently Obama thought Americans’ penchant for large SUVs was more of a problem than systemic racism as he mentioned the former and not the latter.

"Racism only exists with racists. Others look for character." ~Unknown

6 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

See how quickly you dismiss the idea of even looking at yourself and are relying on other people to tell you. That is why systemic racism is so incredibly difficult to change. You aren't even willing to consider it exists, while at the same time demanding to know why it wasn't changed.

If you were to tell me what is was and how I am responsible for it (even a little) I would welcome that conversation.  Mind you I am not saying racism does not exist, it does.  I just don’t see the systemic part. (Unless you are talking about how the welfare system destroyed the black nuclear family, then we are in full agreement).  

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If you were to tell me what is was and how I am responsible for it (even a little) I would welcome that conversation.  Mind you I am not saying racism does not exist, it does.  I just don’t see the systemic part. (Unless you are talking about how the welfare system destroyed the black nuclear family, then we are in full agreement).  

This conversation has been had multiple times with you. If you had shown even a hint at a willingness to be more than a troll, maybe it would be worth it.

27 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

"Racism only exists with racists. Others look for character." ~Unknown

Brenthutch, a frequent right wing poster on this forum: "Mind you I am not saying racism does not exist, it does."

Does that make him a racist?

13 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

This conversation has been had multiple times with you. If you had shown even a hint at a willingness to be more than a troll, maybe it would be worth it.

Give me just one example.  Should be easy as you have “multiple times” to choose from 

13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If you were to tell me what is was and how I am responsible for it (even a little) I would welcome that conversation. 

Ever told a black person "you're so articulate?"   Ever tried to defend yourself by saying something like "hey, I never owned slaves!"  Ever claimed that white privledge doesn't exist or explained that you have black friends?  Used phrases like "I don't see skin color" or "all lives matter?"  Complained because of an advantage you perceive blacks having?

Ever remained silent when OTHER people said those things?

Then you carry some responsibility for the systemic racism that still exists in our culture.

This is not an attack on you, and it does not mean you are racist.  It means that you are OK with not pushing back against racism.  I have done the same thing in the past.  I am trying to get better about it, but there are still times when I will hear the "I'm not racist, I have a black friend" and just let it pass.

• Like 2

Just now, gowlerk said:

Racism is a subset of tribalism and exists in all of us.- Ken Gowler

And at a more fundamental level - homophily exists within all of us.  We evolved to have it.  Being uncomfortable around people who look different, people who look sick or injured, people from far away with strange ways of talking or acting, people who aren't part of "our tribe" used to be a lifesaving feeling.  It warned us that we were in the presence of someone who might do us harm.   We see it in four year old children, we see it in educated "woke" people, and we see it on both sides of the political spectrum.

That can turn into racism if you are not careful - because people of other races look different.  No one is evil for feeling that way; almost everyone does.  Where the evil comes in is in not recognizing that for what it is - and not combating it in your daily life.

• Like 3

(edited)

It becomes more tricky when one adds the additional layer of culture and behavior. If I disagree with the treatment of religious minorities, homosexuals and women in some parts of the Muslim world by some Muslims, does that make me islamophobic?  

*I understand Islam is not a race but the comparison is still valid 

Edited by brenthutch