1 1
Phil1111

Evangelicals against Covid Vaccines

It seems as if evangelical Christians are at it again. Peddling anti-science from the pulpit and trying to ship their congregations into the afterlife.

"In Pew's latest survey conducted in mid-February, 45 percent of white evangelicals said they definitely or probably would not get vaccinated. That compares with 30 percent of all Americans and 33 percent of Black Christians — Black Protestants, rather"

At Pastor Tony Spell's Sunday sermon this week, he preached a different kind of message than usual to his congregants: Don't trust COVID-19 vaccines.  "I'll just tell you today, if being anti-mask and anti-vaccine is anti-government, then I'm proud to be anti-government," Spell, who has made a national name for himself protesting COVID-19 rules in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, told Life Tabernacle Church congregants."If you have a 99.6% survival rate, why do you want somebody to contaminate your bloodstream with something that may or may not hurt you?"

"evangelicals have even linked coronavirus vaccinations to the “mark of the beast” – a symbol of submission to the Antichrist found in biblical prophecies, Revelation 13:18....As a scholar of religion and society, I know that this skepticism among evangelicals has a background. Suspicion from religious conservatives regarding the COVID-19 vaccine is built on the back of their growing distrust of science, medicine and the global elite.

Those who identify as Christian nationalists believe they are God’s chosen people and will be protected from any illness or disease.

Christian nationalists tend to place vaccinations within a worldview that generally distrusts science and scientists as a threat to the moral order. This was seen in the response of many on the religious right to guidance on masks and social distancing as well as, now, vaccines....evangelicals are under the mistaken impression that vaccines were developed using fresh fetal tissue and are immensely troubled by that fact."

"There are certain sections of the Christian right that believe that they are part of the fight of good vs. evil."

The fear among many right-wing evangelicals is that global leaders are making decisions without biblical input and against the will of the Christian God. ...

Trump — whose supporters largely see him as a Washington outsider — has used his platform to help perpetuate falsehoods about the coronavirus. He initially called the coronavirus a hoax and has been inconsistent in his messaging about masks — both in his words and actions, repeatedly appearing in large public gatherings without face coverings.

He's also, at times, dismissed the deadliness of the virus, saying it will disappear quickly.

Trump has long been a skeptic of vaccines"

Just now, gowlerk said:

Everyone who does not get vaccinated will sooner or later come into contact with and be infected by the virus. No comets needed.

True, but 49 out of 50 will survive.

Survival rate for the comet passengers was 0 for 39.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

At Pastor Tony Spell's Sunday sermon this week, he preached a different kind of message than usual to his congregants: Don't trust COVID-19 vaccines.  "I'll just tell you today, if being anti-mask and anti-vaccine is anti-government, then I'm proud to be anti-government," Spell, who has made a national name for himself protesting COVID-19 rules in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, told Life Tabernacle Church congregants."If you have a 99.6% survival rate, why do you want somebody to contaminate your bloodstream with something that may or may not hurt you?"

Perfect encapsulation of the selfishness of the evangelical religion. Nothing to do with how you can be a better person and live up to Jesus's standard or whatever - just how you can game the system to make god help you.

9 hours ago, ryoder said:

Hey, if 40% of all us y'all's aren't vaccinated and if 60% of those not vaccinated are Trump voters and if 2% of those 60% will die from Covid and even if you count kids as y'all's you don't need to carry the aught to see how well that might work out in 2022. Soros?

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

. . . you don't need to carry the aught to see how well that might work out in 2022. Soros?

That's IT!  That's the liberal's plan!  Soros makes a deadly vaccine.  (Or was it Gates?  Not important.)  They give the vaccine out to conservatives and it kills them, and then they can start the New World Order with mandatory sex changes, gay marriage and microchips!  There will be no one to defend Real America, guns and the Confederacy.

But conservatives aren't taking it!  They are wisely refusing it!  So they stopped the New World Order.  If there's no New World Order in ten years you can thank patriotic heroes like Tony Spell, Donald Trump, horns guy and that demon-sperm doctor.

11 hours ago, ryoder said:

But the price for all the needed Comets would be pretty high. Far more cost effective to let the problem sort itself out. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

39 minutes ago, billvon said:

That's IT!  That's the liberal's plan!  Soros makes a deadly vaccine.  (Or was it Gates?  Not important.)  They give the vaccine out to conservatives and it kills them, and then they can start the New World Order with mandatory sex changes, gay marriage and microchips!  There will be no one to defend Real America, guns and the Confederacy.

But conservatives aren't taking it!  They are wisely refusing it!  So they stopped the New World Order.  If there's no New World Order in ten years you can thank patriotic heroes like Tony Spell, Donald Trump, horns guy and that demon-sperm doctor.

Yep. It just take noticing one or two things and the whole nefarious plan just jumps into focus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billvon said:

That's the liberal's plan!  Soros makes a deadly vaccine.  (Or was it Gates?  Not important.)  They give the vaccine out to conservatives and it kills them, and then they can start the New World Order with mandatory sex changes, gay marriage and microchips!  There will be no one to defend Real America, guns and the Confederacy.

So, there is a plan. What happened to the whole, "I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat" thing. Now, you guys got all organized and shit? It would explain a lot. :) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

So, there is a plan. What happened to the whole, "I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat" thing. Now, you guys got all organized and shit? It would explain a lot. :) 

Organized? In the sense that we're all on the same planet, I suppose.

57 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Yep. It just take noticing one or two things and the whole nefarious plan just jumps into focus.

That's how most whack job theories start. Take three random facts, assemble with prejudice.

Wendy P.

In my church there is controversy about taking the vaccine. Many have taken it, including my wife and I, but some refuse. Those refusing are not vocal with their reasoning. It comes across as, mostly, the government is not going to tell me what to do. To me that is very weak and not very enlightening. 

Some of us have had the virus and some of those have died or still suffering long term effects. My wife is in this situation. To date we have had 8,254 infected and 214 deaths. I would guess around 50% of the seniors are vaccinated. Getting an appointment is a stumbling block.

Personally, I think it is better to be as safe as possible than to be as sick as possible.

• Like 8