TampaPete

Thoughts on reserve ride

I'm confused. If one line was outside of the slider why would it keep the slider from coming down? It wouldn't interfere until the slider was all the way down to the riser.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

DBCOOPER

I'm confused. If one line was outside of the slider why would it keep the slider from coming down? It wouldn't interfere until the slider was all the way down to the riser.

That's pretty much what's happening in the video, slider can't make it the last couple inches so he chopped. (That's what I'm seeing anyway, 1"×2" YouTube on my phone, paused it for a few frames and can clearly see one line separate.) A 180 or 360 twist in the line group just lookes like a twisted riser, not exactly what's going on here.

***Front riser 360 reserve landing.[/quote
..........................................................................................

Scary and pointless.
Scary because he did a radical turn just before landing an unfamiliar canopy.
Pointless because he had such a long "runway" to land on.
Doubly pointless because his only problem (that I could see)!was a closed end cell.

From what I know, on VKs you don't assist the stuck slider with rears, but with fronts. In fact, because of the design of the VK, you are pushing the slider back up by using rears.
If the slider is installed correctly (?), then that was part of his problems, on both cutaway #4 and #5.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

DBCOOPER

How slack/unaware do you have to be, to pack the canopy with a line outside the slider?
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I actually don't see any lines outside of the slider grommets. I can see how it looks like there was one (or more) when viewed on a small phone, but when I looked at the video on my large work computer screen all of the lines are inside of the grommets. There is a huge amount of slack below the grommets on the right side of the slider, however. That was likely caused by the right end cells failing to inflate and being folded under the rest of the canopy.

sammielu

Slider incorrectly installed. Right front riser line group has at least one line not going through the slider ring, slider can't come down to get out of the way and canopy cant completely open on that side.

I don't see any lines not going through a slider grommet:

[inline slider1.jpg]

Also, the slider does come all the way down to the front risers for a brief moment:

[inline slider2.jpg]

mxk

***Slider incorrectly installed. Right front riser line group has at least one line not going through the slider ring, slider can't come down to get out of the way and canopy cant completely open on that side.

I don't see any lines not going through a slider grommet:

Also, the slider does come all the way down to the front risers for a brief moment:

There are two separate vids. The first one (malfunction 4) shows a line that seems to be outside the slider. The second one (malfunction 5) shows the lines to be OK.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

sammielu

Slider incorrectly installed. Right front riser line group has at least one line not going through the slider ring, slider can't come down to get out of the way and canopy cant completely open on that side.

Nope. You're looking at tension knots. The lines are going through the rings as they're supposed to.

-----------------
Original Poster. This is my feedback regarding what I see on the video.

Prior to the cutaway:
The tug on the risers wasn't doing a thing. The canopy wasn't in a high G spiral, there were no line twists, and there was a lot of altitude. If the canopy isn't trying to make you pass out and you have altitude, clear the brakes and give it a few full flares to attempt to clear the tension knots. If it failed, then arch and perform the emergency procedures. There was no attempt to use the toggles.

I've seen several cutaways in the past few years where the cutaway was completely preventable. Clearing the brakes would have fixed the issue on some of the issues. A prime example: Brake release on opening. Spiraling a couple times while pulling equally on rear risers... and then cutting away.

I don't know when this basic action was forgotten by many people but it clearly has been.

The reserve ride:
Looked good to me. A swoop landing under a reserve is no big deal either.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Nope. You're looking at tension knots. The lines are going through the rings as they're supposed to.

Hookitt nailed it as far as what is the issue...Tension knots.

With the VK, the way the slider stops are positioned are the issue. It makes certain lines be slack during the initial inflation stage, which can become entangled to other lines.Watch other videos of them inflating and you will see this.

I have seen the same thing on some of the earlier JFX's.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I've seen a VK tension knot cutaway a couple weekends back, however when reviewing the video, the jumper specifically commented on how you need to work fronts on VK to tension the slacked lines and prevent knots from forming. Wouldn't that be a part of the issue here?
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

I've seen a VK tension knot cutaway a couple weekends back, however when reviewing the video, the jumper specifically commented on how you need to work fronts on VK to tension the slacked lines and prevent knots from forming. Wouldn't that be a part of the issue here?

Yes, but changing the slider stop locations is the key I think. Simply adding one at the "A" lines fixed the JFX's that I have dealt with.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com