SICness

Having problems with line twists on deployment

Hey all,

I currently jump a Safire 2 179 at my local DZ that I rent from their shop. I weigh about 145-150 without gear. The past several jumps I've been having problems with line twists after deployment and I can't figure out what's causing it. I make sure to pack everything as symmetrically as I can and I always pull stable without any turning. Upon deployment the canopy comes out of the deployment bag just fine but kinda maintains it's compact shape. It's starts to shake around a bit as it begins to inflate but then immediately goes into a twist of 2-3 rotations while completely inflating. I'm then forced to kick my way out of the twist. Luckily I'm pulling at a decent altitude to clear things up before my hard deck. It's just become such an issue lately with that happenening on nearly every jump. I talked with a couple knowledgeable people and they suggested things like making sure I'm leaving enough line slack above the risers when doing my line stows and pulling stable. Nothing has worked. Will have someone watch my pack job next week to see if anything is going on there, but it sounds like I'm doing everything right so not sure what's going on.

Anyone have an idea of what I could be doing wrong here?

This is probably not the problem but keep it in mind. The canopy may be way out trim which could potentially cause the problem. I had line twists on a Heatwave about every fourth jump. When relined, problem solved. Anyway, if you could rent a different canopy, maybe you could rule this out.

Given that OP has 14 jumps, I don't think that's gonna happen. OP: You might know this already, but please don't strap a camera to yourself before you hit 200 jumps.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

mathrick

Given that OP has 14 jumps, I don't think that's gonna happen. OP: You might know this already, but please don't strap a camera to yourself before you hit 200 jumps.

I didn't look at the stats for this jumper. Absolutely don't jump with a camera. Maybe you can pack the parachute and let someone else with a camera jump and film the opening.

I noticed a few things during my early deployments that made my canopy twist up. 2 times was very bad, if I would have any higher wingload I would probably have to chop it.

So cut to the chase, I noticed the canopy twisted up on me because of the following reasons:

1st both times my tuck tab came open which induced a bit of a turn during my riser deployment.

2nd I tried to control the opening by pulling the risers apart and "catching" the canopy to make it open on heading.

3rd I looked at the canopy during deployment and didn't relax enough.

4th my deployment was too sudden I tended to jerk my body which induced a rocking motion during the pull... slow down.

There can always be a gear factor but for me it was mostly human error. So after I fixed all of theese problems my deployments suddenly became absolutely wonderful. On heading, soft openings, no fuss... except for that one time because of a packing error, nothing serious.

You have given us a few hints that can help. First of all, this is rental gear. So in all likelihood the harness does not fit you well. You state that you are 150 lbs, but not your height. In any case, sometimes rental gear has adjustable main lift webs. If this one does ensure that they are adjusted correctly. And especially that they are evenly adjusted on both sides. If they are not adjustable, carefully consider just how badly it fits you. Most likely the harness is far too long for you. This makes it very easy for one legstrap to side down. This would nearly gaurantee opening problems. Since you are loading the canopy lightly it is taking a little longer to open, which gives it more chance to spin up.

If you can't find gear that fits, try making an effort to load the harness evenly on opening. You can do this by being stable and square in the harness when you deploy. Then as you get to line stretch and the harness loads and begins to stand you up, stab both your legs evenly toward the ground and try to feel the harness taking up your weight. Don't just lay there in the air letting you deploying parachute throw you around. Take control of it through your harness before the canopy even opens.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

try making an effort to load the harness evenly on opening. You can do this by being stable and square in the harness when you deploy. Then as you get to line stretch and the harness loads and begins to stand you up, stab both your legs evenly toward the ground and try to feel the harness taking up your weight. Don't just lay there in the air letting you deploying parachute throw you around. Take control of it through your harness before the canopy even opens.

Right on - this is an oft-neglected part of having good deployments, and can't be stressed enough.

I also notice that you are able to accurately describe the behaviour of your canopy as it snivels and opens - which suggests to me that you are actively looking up at it! Try relaxing and looking straight ahead at the horizon; it will help you remain square in the harness through deployment.

Also concentrate on maintaining a flat and level (or at least symmetrical) torso during your reach and throw. This can be harder than you think, and is worth a little practice (even in the wind tunnel, if you like that sort of thing).
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?