shveddy

Holy Motherhucking Shitake (Luke Aikens no parachute project)

Beatnik

Might be the first time it is intentionally planned but not the first time this has been done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Alkemade

Stewardess Vesna Vulovic, 33,333ft fall, no parachute
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulovi%C4%87

Ivan Chisov, 23,000ft, didn't open his chute
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Chisov

Alan Eugene Magee, 22,000ft, lept from a ball turret with no chute, went through a glass roof of a train station.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Magee

Juliane Diller (born 10 October 1954 in Lima as Juliane Margaret Koepcke), 10,000ft, fell strapped into the seat of a jet liner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke

Sometimes it's just not your time to go.

LukeAikins

If you can make stuff you always wanted to do happen without money then good on ya. Most people need sponsors to do stuff the right way plus to make a living. Gary with his wingsuit and boxes and Allen with his Google I have mad respect for. But my favorite is people talking trash that don't know me.
I am just giving you shit to each his own.
Luke

Luke.. DUUUUUDE

I know you.. I will watch;)

Well, he won't be the first one to do it successfully if he makes it. The other dude in England did it gliding his wingsuit into a giant football field size pile of empty boxes stacked like 6 or 8 high a few years ago.

Maybe he can be the first in the USA

nolhtairt

Well, he won't be the first one to do it successfully if he makes it. The other dude in England did it gliding his wingsuit into a giant football field size pile of empty boxes stacked like 6 or 8 high a few years ago.

Luke will be the first one to do it WITHOUT a wingsuit.

skydiverek

***Well, he won't be the first one to do it successfully if he makes it. The other dude in England did it gliding his wingsuit into a giant football field size pile of empty boxes stacked like 6 or 8 high a few years ago.

Luke will be the first one to do it WITHOUT a wingsuit.

Maybe its time to put up bounce bingo bets... :P

jumpwally

Was the POV video ever released,,i never saw it....

I don't think he has done it yet. It would have been all over the news with Red Bull sponsoring it.
can someone bring us up to date on this>
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

councilman24

Your right, I don't know you and my comment was much more at Red Bull's PR program than at you. Its effective but I still don't like it. I'd say the same thing about any extreme sport stunt that Red Bull sponsors. They leave a bad taste in my mouth. Pun intended.

Skydiving needs all of the promotion it can get. The Red Bull Air Force brings in a lot of customers to a DZ near you.

grimmie

***Your right, I don't know you and my comment was much more at Red Bull's PR program than at you. Its effective but I still don't like it. I'd say the same thing about any extreme sport stunt that Red Bull sponsors. They leave a bad taste in my mouth. Pun intended.

Skydiving needs all of the promotion it can get. The Red Bull Air Force brings in a lot of customers to a DZ near you.

Rich, skydiving has been trying to go mainstream for years. I don’t think it fits. But then I am old school.

skydiverek

***Maybe I just missed it... where's this going to be held?

California, USA. At the same time, he says he will NOT have ANY parachute on him. So, did they get the FAA exemption to do that?

Daily updates:

https://www.facebook.com/Luke-Aikins-998360006849439/?fref=ts

If he uses an airplane, then the FAA needs to be involved.
I assume there is a process to get exemptions from FAA rules, like taking a special assumption of risks etc. If Red Bull does something like that, one thing I am assured : that all the caveats are covered, and all legal Ts are crossed and lawyers' Is are dotted.
But still, it needs to be cleared with the FAA, parachute or not.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

******Maybe I just missed it... where's this going to be held?

California, USA. At the same time, he says he will NOT have ANY parachute on him. So, did they get the FAA exemption to do that?

Daily updates:

https://www.facebook.com/Luke-Aikins-998360006849439/?fref=ts

If he uses an airplane, then the FAA needs to be involved.
I assume there is a process to get exemptions from FAA rules, like taking a special assumption of risks etc. If Red Bull does something like that, one thing I am assured : that all the caveats are covered, and all legal Ts are crossed and lawyers' Is are dotted.
But still, it needs to be cleared with the FAA, parachute or not.

I think the whole point of skydiving without a parachute is called "FREEDOM"... not "FAA regulations"

I think the whole point of skydiving without a parachute is called "FREEDOM"... not "FAA regulations"

You think wrong. Be careful what you wish for. While the FAA can be a pain in the butt at times the regulations you mention are what allow you to do what you love. Without them you can bet some local politician would make it illegal.

It would indeed be interesting to know how he dealt with the FAA.

I'm no expert on the FAR's, but I suppose it might be like a stuntman jumping from a helicopter into an airbag: He isn't technically skydiving. That is, for the FAA he is not 'conducting a parachute operation'.

If he went out and linked up with someone else with a parachute, as in a typical 'no parachute jump', they would be in trouble.

He couldn't wear a regular non-TSO'd BASE rig as emergency backup, although a certificated emergency parachute could be acceptable -- just as a pilot is allowed to wear one for emergency use. (I don't know how easy it is to get exceptions from the FAA. Gary Connery did get permission in the UK to wear a BASE rig on his wingsuit & cardboard boxes jump I believe.)

FAR Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Hi Di0,

then the FAA needs to be involved.

After Rod Pack made his chuteless jump in California ( 1 Jan 65 ), the pilot was fined
$10,000 ( as I think I remember reading ).

Writing in SKYDIVER magazine, Lyle Cameron said that they simply should have made the jump in Mexico.

Jerry Baumchen

mjosparky

******Your right, I don't know you and my comment was much more at Red Bull's PR program than at you. Its effective but I still don't like it. I'd say the same thing about any extreme sport stunt that Red Bull sponsors. They leave a bad taste in my mouth. Pun intended.

Rich, skydiving has been trying to go mainstream for years. I don’t think it fits. But then I am old school.

We flew the Red Bull Airforce into the Miramar Airshow a few years ago. The next three weekends saw an increase in tandems at the DZ.

Any positive exposure people have to jumpers leads to more advertising for the sport.