shveddy

Holy Motherhucking Shitake (Luke Aikens no parachute project)

Greig474

After watching that video i'm concerned that when he jumps tomorrow the net will force him into a position where he breaks his neck. Am I just being silly?

Not if he flips over at the last second or so and lands on his back, which is the plan.

skydiverek

***Maybe I just missed it... where's this going to be held?

California, USA. At the same time, he says he will NOT have ANY parachute on him. So, did they get the FAA exemption to do that?

Answer: Since he is not wearing a parachute, this is not a skydive and this part 105 does not apply. In fact, the FAA is not sure what to do with him. For now, the concept of not posing risk to persons or property on the ground as a result of throwing objects out of an aircraft in flight is the only rule that applies. Luke did get approval to pull low with a BASE canopy (2 parachute system) for his training.

Daily updates:

https://www.facebook.com/Luke-Aikins-998360006849439/?fref=ts
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

So, if he wasn't wearing a parachute, how come he was doing practice pulls on the way down? How do we know he didn't have a base rig underneath that floppy shirt... Oh,, and won't the FAA yank the pilot's license for letting someone exit his plane without a dual parachute rig?

05BlackWRX

He's wearing a parachute after all. I wonder how long he knew this. He said he found out 24 hours ago but you'd think the decision would have been made before a day in advance.

Edit: maybe that was to add some drama cause now he doesn't have to wear it

Maybe you owe him an apology for running you mouth before knowing the facts.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

HapHazard

So, if he wasn't wearing a parachute, how come he was doing practice pulls on the way down? How do we know he didn't have a base rig underneath that floppy shirt... Oh,, and won't the FAA yanks the pilot's license for letting someone exit his plane without a dual parachute rig?

You are awfully quick to questions the man’s integrity. Once again no facts.

mjosparky

***So, if he wasn't wearing a parachute, how come he was doing practice pulls on the way down? How do we know he didn't have a base rig underneath that floppy shirt... Oh,, and won't the FAA yanks the pilot's license for letting someone exit his plane without a dual parachute rig?

You didn't answer the questions...

HapHazard

******So, if he wasn't wearing a parachute, how come he was doing practice pulls on the way down? How do we know he didn't have a base rig underneath that floppy shirt... Oh,, and won't the FAA yanks the pilot's license for letting someone exit his plane without a dual parachute rig?

You didn't answer the questions...

I don’t have the answers. I also have no reason to doubt him.

HapHazard

So, if he wasn't wearing a parachute, how come he was doing practice pulls on the way down? How do we know he didn't have a base rig underneath that floppy shirt... Oh,, and won't the FAA yank the pilot's license for letting someone exit his plane without a dual parachute rig?

Take a look as he is hugging his wife after landing.
They do a 360, and I see no evidence of a rig.

And do you really think they didn't talk to the FAA about this???
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

FB1609

I also wondered about the practice pull, maybe it would just be fun to do one with no rig on...where is that thing?

The man has 18,000 jumps! You think he may have some muscle memory for that? I only have 4000 jumps and 2400 have been tandems I have found myself checking the drogue release on a jump or two with my regular rig. LOL!

steveOrino

Iago

I personally don't care if he had one hidden or not....

If he had one hidden he had me convinced he didn't have one. I watched it live. And I've watched it about 20 times on youtube. I don't see it
https://youtu.be/fWOOoXtiXiA

You have to admit the practice touches were a little comical. For me it broke the stress of watching it for oh, about two secs, then it was back to fingers crossed. One can clearly see when they get to him in the net there are no handles where he was doing practice touches.

And like you said, even if he did have on a chute, in the end he didn't use it and landed like planned. But some just can't bring themselves to appreciate the accuracy and accomplishment that Luke did today.

Personally I would think a chute on that landing would have been a hazard for his back. I also think the "he has to wear a chute, now he doesn't" was just part of the show. You know how TV is. Have to make something dramatic even if it's pretty dramatic to begin with.

1001001sos

***The man has 18,000 jumps! You think he may have some muscle memory for that?

Just a little bit

I think it is reasonable to think that the muscle memory was not from his 18,000 regular jumps, but from the practice jumps for the stunt. He did the real thing just like he practiced it, which likely included doing practice pulls. Just a thought.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

I think it is reasonable to think that the muscle memory was not from his 18,000 regular jumps, but from the practice jumps for the stunt. He did the real thing just like he practiced it, which likely included doing practice pulls. Just a thought.

You're probably right. But whatever the reason for it, it gave me a sec of comic relief watching this extremely experienced skydiver do practice pulls. Then I remembered there were no handles to be touching and the reality of what my eyes were seeing set back in.

What an awesome achievement. Right up there with Felix Baumgartner and Alan Eustace setting jump altitude and speed records. The biggest difference in these achievements for me though is in Luke's case when I heard about it I had no desire to do it myself. In Felix's case I wanted to do the same thing he did until I actually saw it and saw how violent of a spin he got into during part of that jump. Then I decided, nope, not for me.

We've got to see some amazing things in the world of skydiving over the past few years.

What could be next?

So did he or did he not have a rig?

I was thinking perhaps the practice pull was to signal the other jumpers that Luke is going for it. The other option might have been to abort land together with one of the assistants if he didn't do this signal.

Would be weird if he did it just from muscle memory.

FB1609

I also wondered about the practice pull, maybe it would just be fun to do one with no rig on...where is that thing?

Dude, after 18,000+ jumps, you'd think it would be an automatic reflex to do practice EPs and pulls on every jump... That's the way I look at it.

nolhtairt

***I also wondered about the practice pull, maybe it would just be fun to do one with no rig on...where is that thing?

Dude, after 18,000+ jumps, you'd think it would be an automatic reflex to do practice EPs and pulls on every jump... That's the way I look at it.

Personally, I think he was just playing around, like "look Ma, no chute"!

While that was a hell of a jump, I'm not entirely convinced that he didn't have a base rig under the jumpsuit. It looks like there may be one (a pretty flat spot or two on the back of what appears to be a loose fitting jumpsuit but I don't see how the canopy would deploy through the jumpsuit.).

Who knows, may just be reinforcements for the huge brass balls it took to do the jump.

I'm curious how they got the word that he didn't have to jump with the rig on, the FAA doesn't tend to make that kind of call last minute.

Did anyone see the VASI/PAPI type lights? I didn't see them in the video, but the logic made sense to me.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

While that was a hell of a jump, I'm not entirely convinced that he didn't have a base rig under the jumpsuit. It looks like there may be one (a pretty flat spot or two on the back of what appears to be a loose fitting jumpsuit but I don't see how the canopy would deploy through the jumpsuit.).

Who knows, may just be reinforcements for the huge brass balls it took to do the jump.

Something else that occurred to me:
If I was going to be hitting a net at terminal velocity, some dense padding on my back might be welcome.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.