JoeWeber

Ingenuity set for first flight tomorrow.

39 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

This is what MAGA really is. But yeah, they’d better avoid Martian houses. A raygun shot would end the party real quick.

https://spacenews.com/nasa-reschedules-ingenuity-first-flight/

I have it on the best authority that it was not a software problem. In fact, SETI received a sternly worded letter from the local HOA (Hole Owners Association) demanding flight path pre-approval and establishing no fly SOL's. For those of you who don't subscribe to my service I will be posting slightly delayed updates here on Speakers Corner. In the meantime, so that we stay in good graces with our neighbors, everyone would be well advised to avoid stepping on worms.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Go USA! We haven't even met a Martian yet and already we're flying drones over their houses. I hope they come out of their holes totally pissed off.

We've been driving cars over their holes for decades.

I would think the idea of a drone flying overhead, instead of cars on the ground would be an improvement.

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

We've been driving cars over their holes for decades.

I would think the idea of a drone flying overhead, instead of cars on the ground would be an improvement.

Cars go by our houses all day long and we deal with it but when your asshole neighbor fly's his drone above your pad with a camera it's a different thing. What, do you think Martians aren't as good as you? Are you some kind of planetist?

Just now, JoeWeber said:

Cars go by our houses all day long and we deal with it but when your asshole neighbor fly's his drone above your pad with a camera it's a different thing. What, do you think Martians aren't as good as you? Are you some kind of planetist?

The cars drive by on the public street. That's fine.
If someone flies a drone above the street, that's fine too.

If someone flies a drone low over my yard, that's a problem.
I wouldn't be terribly pleased if someone drove a car across my lawn either.

But there ain't no damned road signs on Mars. We've just been driving our cars anywhere and everywhere we damned well please.

I kind of doubt that any of the Martians took offense, given that the cars didn't get damaged by angry Martians.

Just now, wolfriverjoe said:

The cars drive by on the public street. That's fine.
If someone flies a drone above the street, that's fine too.

If someone flies a drone low over my yard, that's a problem.
I wouldn't be terribly pleased if someone drove a car across my lawn either.

But there ain't no damned road signs on Mars. We've just been driving our cars anywhere and everywhere we damned well please.

I kind of doubt that any of the Martians took offense, given that the cars didn't get damaged by angry Martians.

There you go again. Roads are made by the travel of vehicles. Over time easements are created. But that does not make the first car track any less valid.

11 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

At 0.6% of Earth's atmospheric pressure and 38% of the gravity, that's going to be a fast spinning drone rotor.

This is why it blows my mind when I think about what they are trying to accomplish. I’d love to see the specs on those rotors. Interesting they went with a coaxial design although not surprising, given space limitations. Probably more reliable than a quad setup as well.

14 hours ago, headoverheels said:

At 0.6% of Earth's atmospheric pressure and 38% of the gravity, that's going to be a fast spinning drone rotor.

Yep. 2537 RPM's. Ingenuity's first flight was a success. It is now official: Amazon Prime delivery is available at the Jezero Crater.