LBobRife

Motorcycle + Rig?

Hey guys,

I know plenty of people ride bikes to the dz, but it looks like most tail bags are too small for my rig + helmet + misc gear - has anyone found one that works? Or improvised a setup that gets the job done (is safe to ride with). Tips, pictures, etc. greatly appreciated.

I ride a cruiser with a sissy bar and a luggage rack. Rig and jumpsuit go into a soft T-bag which goes on the passenger seat. Helmet is on the luggage rack in its case. When I didn't have a luggage rack, I used a cargo net to bungee the helmet behind. Ugly, but it worked OK. I secured the helmet bag to the sissy bar also, obviously. I can post pictures another day if this is confusing.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Kinda depends on the bike.

I have a Katana, and I've ridden a half hour or so to the DZ. I use a Square One gear bag. It has the backpack straps. I put it on my back, but have the straps lengthened out enough so that the weight of the bag is on the passenger area of the seat, not my shoulders. It works nicely, although I wouldn't want to go more than an hour or so that way.

Other people do different things on other types of bikes.

AggieDave (who isn't around much anymore) went to Nationals on a Vulcan. Gear bags strapped to both the front and back of the sissy bar. He had a couple different rigs, and all the gear and such for the entire stay.

Thread here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4081069;search_string=Motorcycle%20nationals;#4081069

Post #21 has the pic of the fully loaded motorcycle.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

LBobRife

Hey guys,

I know plenty of people ride bikes to the dz, but it looks like most tail bags are too small for my rig + helmet + misc gear - has anyone found one that works? Or improvised a setup that gets the job done (is safe to ride with). Tips, pictures, etc. greatly appreciated.

get a stash bag from any base manufacture it will fit your rig helmet and suits and is super light and cheap

squirrel.ws
apexbase.com
baserigs.com
asylumbase.com
adrenaline base has nice stuff but in euro longer shipping don't know the site
BASE 1519

I have panniers on my bike, rig goes in one side, helmet and other gear in the other. I have a gear bag that I'd put everything in if I couldn't fit my stuff in the panniers. Kinda depends on the size of your rig of course.

I've ridden that from SoCal to Eloy and back a couple of times using a tail bag for anything extra I needed.

Amusing how motorcycle panniers are designed more for "styling" than luggage. Most look like after-thoughts slapped on after-the-fact with bubble gum and binder twine.
Hah!
Hah!
For example, dirt bike and rough touring bikes always sport aluminum boxes.
Meanwhile, Harley-Davidsons usually have small, leather saddle bags.
The only "integrated" panniers are the full-width, low-rider panniers currently fashionable with the cruising crowd.

Half of production panniers are too shallow to hold a full-face helmet. What were they thinking?

Back when I rode my Yamaha to the DZ, I put small bits in a huge tank-bag (that I sewed myself) while my rig and jumpsuit went into a large gear-bag bungee-netted to the rear seat. I needed an after-market, steel-tube, luggage-rack (that over-hung the tail-light) to lash down everything gracefully.

Thanks for all the replies!

My bike is an SV650, so there's limited rear seat surface area; I could theoretically strap my rig down long-ways (as opposed to across the back) in a bag, with the helmet bungee-netted on top of that.

Alternatively, a side-ways tail bag could work if it's big enough. I'm looking at this bag from Wolfman: http://wolfmanluggage.com/products/beta-plus-rear-bag, but I'm worried it will hang down too low and contact the tail pipe - no bueno.

For those of you suggesting actually wearing a bag on my back, it sounds like the right move is to put the weight on the seat as opposed to the shoulder straps, right? If that's the case, is the fact that the bag is then looser not an issue w/ shifting around? I have a great backpack that fits my rig and it has a waist strap as well that I use when traveling, but a) I'm an hour and a half from my DZ and b) I'd be worried about the bag shifting weight around unless I tightened the straps (putting the weight on my shoulders, and probably leading to some discomfort after an hour+ of riding).

As for a BASE stash bag - having done my fair share of hiking with one on my back, I think I'll avoid that. They definitely shift around, and those straps are not built for comfort, that's for sure.

Thoughts?

The hard bags on my HD Road Glide will swallow a pretty big load, but not sure they're up to the challenge of my huge rig stuffed with a 210 main and 218 reserve... I guess I'll go give 'er a try.

Another option would be strapping it to the sissy bar then covering it with a drawstring type rain cover (like those you find stowed in the bottom pocket of a hiking backpack).

Edited to add: Uh, no. Helmet and gear bag fit just fine, but that rig is huge and not going to work. Next possibility to explore is stashing my rig at the DZ and just hauling the remainder of my gear back and forth.

LBobRife

...For those of you suggesting actually wearing a bag on my back, it sounds like the right move is to put the weight on the seat as opposed to the shoulder straps, right? If that's the case, is the fact that the bag is then looser not an issue w/ shifting around?

That's what I did. I really didn't have any shifting issues. The bag sat fairly well on the seat, and I didn't ride aggressively. It was also a big bag, and a stepped seat (passenger sits about 4" higher than driver) so the straps weren't extended all that much to get the bag low enough.

It was also about a 30 min ride. Much more than an hour and I don't think I'd be comfortable with it, even with the weight on the seat. Currently about 2 hours from the DZ, including having to go through Milwaukee, and I haven't tried taking the cycle there.

You could always try loading up the bag and taking a short ride around your neighborhood to see how you like it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Wearing it on your back is dangerous and not safe for several reasons.... Watch the bungees too. They have been know to stretch and come loose, whipping the container under the rear wheel. One of the simplest and least expensive is a gear bag strapped to the rear seat or side bags if you have them. There are some very good bungee type of straps (Rok) that are secure and will not come loose if used correctly.
Dano

danornan

Wearing it on your back is dangerous and not safe for several reasons....

Like what? Not being snarky, and certainly willing to listen.

Note: I'm not talking about wearing an open rig on my back, I mean the rig and all the gear in a gear bag. I know that a "bare" rig is a bad idea.

Putting extra weight on your back is fine if everything goes your way and nothing unexpected happens on your ride. Has that ever happened ? The problem on a motorcycle is that unexpected things occur all the time and your center of gravity is off, along with the swinging momentum. 30 + pounds can make a big difference. A small back pack worn close, is OK as many use it for hydration.

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough without adding more to the equation. I too have thought about putting my gear on my back for a ride to the DZ, but strapping it to the back of the seat changes very little to weight and balance.
Dano

I had to make a couple of sudden stops and a few swerves with it on my back. Yes, it changes the balance issue, and the swing is there. Expecting it to handle the same is foolish.

It was more stable and predictable than a passenger. Especially an inexperienced one.

I've ridden for a long time, and carried a variety of things both on my back and strapped to the motorcycle. I have a good understanding of how the different weights in different places affect the handling.

I find it quite comfortable to wear my rig on my back. No gear bag necessary. My rig is freefly friendly at 250+ mph exposed to the wind while skydiving. I think 60 or 70 mph behind me on my bike is not much risk. As far as weight and balance, sheeesh. Makes no difference.

>I find it quite comfortable to wear my rig on my back. No gear bag necessary. My
>rig is freefly friendly at 250+ mph exposed to the wind while skydiving.

A premature deployment might be bad.

If you wear a rig on your back while on a bike, wrap it with something so a pulled pin or loose handle will not result in the sudden appearance of a canopy (and a view of your bike as it continues down the road without you.)

billvon

>I find it quite comfortable to wear my rig on my back. No gear bag necessary. My
>rig is freefly friendly at 250+ mph exposed to the wind while skydiving.

A premature deployment might be bad.

If you wear a rig on your back while on a bike, wrap it with something so a pulled pin or loose handle will not result in the sudden appearance of a canopy (and a view of your bike as it continues down the road without you.)

Slightly off topic:
You know, I've wondered about people attempting this as a stunt. Ride a bike up a ramp, off of a big jump and deploy. Or even better: using a motorcycle that has built in gyroscopic control to prevent the bike from falling over after you launch.

LBobRife

Hey guys,

I used a Givi Maxia 50L top case on a rack for one rig / jumpsuit / helmet / etc, adding an airline legal carry-on on the passenger seat under a cargo net for a second.