Bokdrol

Inexperienced jumper with digital alti

Question

Yesterday I was JM on a load at my local DZ in the UK. I have my JM1 ticket but am neither coach nor instructor. During the flightline gear check (pre-boarding gear checks for all jumpers are mandatory on the flightline in the UK) I noticed a jumper with a very nice digital alti. Probably an ALiX. It had a good visual dial and was registering a flat line as we were at GL. I checked the jumper and established that he was A licence with 36 jumps. Furthermore he hadn't jumped previously with this particular piece of kit on it's own without having any back-up ie a standard  barometric visual type alti. I explained to him that, as he was trained using a standard visual alti and was relatively low on jump numbers, I would like him to wear a backup unit on this lift and until he had signoff from an instructor. In an emergency he would be looking for his hard deck on an unfamiliar device.  To his credit he trotted off quite happily and got his backup Alti-2. We checked them both on the flight at 5k and the ALiX reading was good.  So my question is this - was I being an overcautious and officious knobend or not?

3 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

was I being... cautious ?

Of course you were. That's why you're there. Good job!

• Like 1

I think you were right, it was a change of kit and he needed to have the ability to adjust.

One thing though some DZs in the UK now have students using digital altis from jump 1 now

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 6:17 AM, Bokdrol said:

So my question is this - was I being an overcautious and officious knobend or not?

No. Anytime there's a change in the gear, one should either use a backup, or significant ground training, or both until fluent. In skydiving, has "overcautious" ever been or ever need to be a subject of discussion. If anyone ever think that you or another is being a "knob-end" about safety; tell them to get back with you after reviewing the Incidents or Blue Skies forum.   

~ former S&TA 

• Like 1