brenthutch

CNN, the most trusted name in news

CNN stock is currently at $124. Down from a high of $310 in June 2018. About back to a value of $110 in April 2016. From Sept '96 at $67 to $115 today.

Fox Corp data for the same dates is $37.50, $33 and $22. From Sept '96 at $6 to $37.50 today.

Neither of these are publicly traded as they are subsidiaries of larger companies, CNN of AT&T and Fox news of 21st Century Fox.

59 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Neither of these are publicly traded as they are subsidiaries of larger companies, CNN of AT&T and Fox news of 21st Century Fox.

In that case the where did the price come from and why is it meaningful?

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I remember when Col Oli North wrote in his book. "We did what any good intelligence agency did; we turned on CNN." Over the past 30 years, journalism has shifted towards more opinion-based content that is heavy on argumentation and less on objective news coverage. They all chose a lane. FOX, OANN, MSNBC, etc. etc. I'm not sure what your point is - they're all guilty of influence and all have a market that listens. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I remember when Col Oli North wrote in his book. "We did what any good intelligence agency did; we turned on CNN." Over the past 30 years, journalism has shifted towards more opinion-based content that is heavy on argumentation and less on objective news coverage. They all chose a lane. FOX, OANN, MSNBC, etc. etc. I'm not sure what your point is - they're all guilty of influence and all have a market that listens. 

Somehow it is news that CNN did everything it possibly could to show the world what a negative thing the Trump regime was in order to help bring about its end? Shocking. 

(edited)

Don’t you find it a little disturbing that a major news network  is bragging about being a propaganda outlet and making up news stories?  Remember when Trump was derided for claims of “fake news”?  Well there it is.  Now that they have vanquished the orange man and folks are getting burned out on COVID coverage, they are moving on to climate change.  More fake news.

”The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

H.L. Mencken

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Don’t you find it a little disturbing that a major news network  is bragging about being a propaganda outlet and making up news stories?  Remember when Trump was derided for claims of “fake news”?  Well there it is.  Now that they have vanquished the orange man and folks are getting burned out on COVID coverage, they are moving on to climate change.  More fake news.

”The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

H.L. Mencken

I was reading that and thinking, maybe I've underestimated Brent. Then I saw it was a quote.

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Don’t you find it a little disturbing that a major news network  is bragging about being a propaganda outlet and making up news stories?  Remember when Trump was derided for claims of “fake news”?  Well there it is.  

There it isn't. What did that video show that CNN made up? Having a bias isn't the same as lying.

Can tell me what CNN has done over the past year that even remotely compares to Fox's 'Election Fraud' lies? Or does simply doing it not count if you haven't dug up someone on candid camera bragging about doing it?

• Like 1

That Trump had a neurological disorder. 

Needing two hands to raise a glass of water to your mouth, hands shaking while making the effort, is a clear indication of a neurological disorder.  Unclear what the disorder is, of course.

(edited)

That is not a bias it is an agenda.

Why does it sound like trumpettes have just learned the word "agenda" and think it makes them sound ominous?

When two or more people have a common goal, also known as an agenda, they usually form what is called an organization. So when you say an organization like CNN has an agenda, then you better fucking specify what it is because that's the entire fucking point of having an organization in the first place.

Edited by olofscience

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

True.  I don't watch MSM anymore, but we have to live in a world of people who do.

Airdvr, "mainstream media" is defined to "other" the media. To keep entirely away from mainstream media means to stick with the fringe sites that say whatever it takes to get attention. Mainstream media is one of the places that regularly has the information to educate oneself about what's going on. Just consider each source when you read between its lilnes.

I don't watch evening news or anything like that, but I do read the local paper, and the Sunday NY Times, and listen to a lot of NPR. And anyway, anything important will be in DZ.com...

Wendy P.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Needing two hands to raise a glass of water to your mouth, hands shaking while making the effort, is a clear indication of a neurological disorder.  Unclear what the disorder is, of course.

What about the inability to form a coherent sentence or the inability to negotiate a flight of stairs? Or how about claiming hundreds of millions of Americans have been killed by guns in the last ten years?  Or how about forgetting how many states there are in the US? (Obama)