base615

VFX slider on Katana?

Hello comrades.

I have a removable slider to VFX2 specs (75cm wide by 64cm deep) on my Crossfire 3 129 which was off-the-recordish recommended by NZA but I’d like to use it on my Katana 120. Anyone tried this?

The Katana specs are 80cm by 52cm so slightly wider by shallower and about 15% smaller overall. Based on past experience with custom Sabre sliders, I’d imagine the extra depth would slow the openings down but it could also provide for less predictable openings - something the Katana already provides in spades lol. My assumptions may be wrong.

I’ll get my test pilot on by doing some hop and pops initially anyway but just interested if anyone has any experience with this?

19 minutes ago, Binary93 said:

Don't have direct experience with these, but I'd like to add the slider type ("square" vs "domed") to the conversation. Not all sliders are the same, I would guess that CF3 has a domed slider, not so sure about Katana.

Unsure mate. My slider was made by a local rigger rather than coming from NZA.

3 hours ago, base615 said:

Hello comrades.

I have a removable slider to VFX2 specs (75cm wide by 64cm deep) on my Crossfire 3 129 which was off-the-recordish recommended by NZA but I’d like to use it on my Katana 120. Anyone tried this?

The Katana specs are 80cm by 52cm so slightly wider by shallower and about 15% smaller overall. Based on past experience with custom Sabre sliders, I’d imagine the extra depth would slow the openings down but it could also provide for less predictable openings - something the Katana already provides in spades lol. My assumptions may be wrong.

I’ll get my test pilot on by doing some hop and pops initially anyway but just interested if anyone has any experience with this?

A ) Yes, you will become a test jumper.

B ) PD only makes a few sizes of slider across the whole range of canopy sizes and types they produce. So it is not something that is extremely well "tuned" to each product. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigL said:

I used a Removable 96 JFX2 slider on my KA107 for about 150 jumps. The RDS for the JFX was bigger than the stock KA slider.

I think the openings got worse. Always firm, with some slammers.

Cool, thanks mate

Update on this for anyone looking to reference in the future. 

I’ve had this slider on my KA120 for about 30 jumps and have had nothing but awesome openings, terminal and sub-terminal. The openings are improved massively over the stock slider. The only minor issue is having it usually stop a few inches above my soft links but a little bit of front helps push it down so I grab it without much of a headache 

https://youtu.be/HW3cdNfIi7Q

• Like 1