parkex

Twin Otter Pilot Pay

Hey Guys!

tried do do some research on this and other forums on twin otter pilot pay, but couldn't find anything recent or very concrete.

What is the going rate for Twin Otter jump pilots? I'll be sitting in the left seat and will be doing this on the side of my corporate job. Have a ton of turbine/jet experience.

Looking for a reference point when i start negotiating my salary.

Hours are sun rise to sunset and this is a fairly busy drop zone.

Thanks!

$20 a load. That's a start. After you've proven yourself, that's when I think a reasonable DZO might talk salary.

And if people knew who you were, they'd be more likely to hold a conversation.

Stating "I have a ton of turbine/jet experience" means very little in this industry. This is as different from corporate flying as corporate flying is to flight instructing. I've met some jet jockeys that are able to figure it out really well, and I've met some that don't get it at all.

The biggest thing you can do to be successful is when showing up for training, suspend the idea that you know anything at all. Be very receptive to that idea, and you have a chance to do well.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Not going to get many great answers from skydivers but there are a couple of diver drivers on here. The website that you seemed to brush off is run by Chris Schindler who is a longtime corporate and jump pilot. I'm sure you can find contact information but he's very active on this site and will probably chime in at some point.

Pay isn't great and most jump pilots are in it because they're social with the skydiver industry and crowd. From what I've seen it's more about the relationships than the money. I don't think many places offer a salary.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Some operations pay by the head. (~$1.25)

Some offer a guaranteed minimum or show-up fee. If you don't fly you still get something for sitting around. If you do fly you get paid beyond that after you have flown the loads equaling the show-up.

It's piece work. Flying part time on the side isn't a salaried position. Taking a full time slot might be especially if you are posted out of town.

There's little to "negotiate". The business is such that pilot's pay is pretty much set in stone. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

Jon