1 1
billvon

Matt Gaetz sex trafficking allegations

This really deserves its own thread.

Background - Matt Gaetz, GOP representative from Florida, has been accused of sex trafficking and pedophilia, paying underage women to travel across state lines to have sex with him.  He has denied it, although some of his denials sound an awful lot like very carefully worded non-denials that won't get him in hot water when he goes to court. 

Interestingly, he was the only representative to vote against a sex trafficking bill a few years ago when it came before the House.

His troubles seem to stem primarily from his close relationship with Joel Greenberg, another Florida GOP politician who is under investigation for sex trafficking of women between 14 and 17 years old.  This trafficking was discovered when he started paying them with his official government credit card.

More recently, this has linked Gaetz to Greenberg via Venmo records.  Gaetz sent $900 to Greenberg via Venmo, asking him to "hit up" a girl.  (Due to her age investigators are not releasing her name.)  Greenberg then sent the $900 to three different girls, including the girl that Gaetz specified.  The transactions were labeled "tuition" and "school."

So far two of his staffers have resigned over the issue.

You might suspect Qanon would be happy about this - for years they have been alleging a government pedophilic sex ring in the highest levels of government.  For some reason, they have now moved into the "don't believe everything you read on the Internet" camp.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

This really deserves its own thread.

Background - Matt Gaetz, GOP representative from Florida, has been accused of sex trafficking and pedophilia, paying underage women to travel across state lines to have sex with him.  He has denied it, although some of his denials sound an awful lot like very carefully worded non-denials that won't get him in hot water when he goes to court. 

Interestingly, he was the only representative to vote against a sex trafficking bill a few years ago when it came before the House.

His troubles seem to stem primarily from his close relationship with Joel Greenberg, another Florida GOP politician who is under investigation for sex trafficking of women between 14 and 17 years old.  This trafficking was discovered when he started paying them with his official government credit card.

More recently, this has linked Gaetz to Greenberg via Venmo records.  Gaetz sent $900 to Greenberg via Venmo, asking him to "hit up" a girl.  (Due to her age investigators are not releasing her name.)  Greenberg then sent the $900 to three different girls, including the girl that Gaetz specified.  The transactions were labeled "tuition" and "school."

So far two of his staffers have resigned over the issue.

You might suspect Qanon would be happy about this - for years they have been alleging a government pedophilic sex ring in the highest levels of government.  For some reason, they have now moved into the "don't believe everything you read on the Internet" camp.

Hi Bill,

And, it looks like non of the R's are stepping up for him either; not even Sidney Powell.

Jerry Baumchen

6 hours ago, billvon said:

"This is proof trickle-down economics works."

-- Bill Maher

6 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

And, it looks like non of the R's are stepping up for him either; not even Sidney Powell.

I can just see the defense of the R's on this - "well, no one in their right mind would support him, so obviously my past support of him was satire.  Satire is covered under free speech.  What, do you want to ban free speech?"

15 hours ago, billvon said:

I can just see the defense of the R's on this - "well, no one in their right mind would support him, ...

Clearly you have a little to learn about the chutzpah of the GOP. Evidently Gaetz's defense is that he admitted to have sex with the child but he waited until her 18th birthday. Gaetz, a lawyer, of course. Has launched a major fundraising effort.

GOP fundraiser in NH under fire for inviting Rep. Gaetz to speak

"Gaetz penned a fundraising appeal blasted to supporters Friday morning. It asked for checks to be sent to the campaign account Friends of Matt Gaetz. In it, Gaetz compares himself to members of former President Donald Trump’s administration who became embroiled in an investigation of Russian election meddling.

“Here we go again,” the email begins. “Just another media hoax. Do you remember the fake Russia Hoax? Their attempt to frame General (Michael) Flynn? I do… and now they are coming for me.”

29 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Clearly you have a little to learn about the chutzpah of the GOP. Evidently Gaetz's defense is that he admitted to have sex with the child but he waited until her 18th birthday. Gaetz, a lawyer, of course. Has launched a major fundraising effort.

GOP fundraiser in NH under fire for inviting Rep. Gaetz to speak

"Gaetz penned a fundraising appeal blasted to supporters Friday morning. It asked for checks to be sent to the campaign account Friends of Matt Gaetz. In it, Gaetz compares himself to members of former President Donald Trump’s administration who became embroiled in an investigation of Russian election meddling.

“Here we go again,” the email begins. “Just another media hoax. Do you remember the fake Russia Hoax? Their attempt to frame General (Michael) Flynn? I do… and now they are coming for me.”

Hi Phil,

Re:  now they are coming for me.

One can only hope.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

Re:  now they are coming for me.

One can only hope.

Jerry Baumchen

Victim engineering he learnt from the best. All an unjust attack by democrats and I'll need more money to keep them from coming after you.

He's probably matching donations as well.

On 4/9/2021 at 3:10 PM, billvon said:

His troubles seem to stem primarily from his close relationship with Joel Greenberg, another Florida GOP politician who is under investigation for sex trafficking of women between 14 and 17 years old. 

I don't care if they have an R, D, L, M,N,O,P after their name. You fuck with CHILDREN under the age of 21 as a politician . . . Well, I don't have a lot of money, but what I do have is a particularly unique set of skills . . . You know, you cut a man's balls off and if you don't tie the stubs off, they last about 90 to 180 seconds.  Too graphic? Just remember it could be your little girl. There's a reason pedophiles don't last long in prison. Most prisoners don't have a lot of money, but what they do have is a particularly unique set of skills . . . and in most cases, their kids is all they got. 

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

Any and all politicians that break the law should be prosecuted. This is not solely an R, D or I problem. The problem is politicians that use their office to serve themselves rather than the public.

Indeed. And candidates who claim they break the law, you know like grabbing pussies without invitation, shouldn't be voted for. That's just common sense, right? 

Any and all politicians that break the law should be prosecuted. This is not solely an R, D or I problem. The problem is politicians that use their office to serve themselves rather than the public.

As they protect their friends, their party and their special interest groups.

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Indeed. And candidates who claim they break the law, you know like grabbing pussies without invitation, shouldn't be voted for. That's just common sense, right? 

Voters and political constituents have understood this since the times of Plato. Yet they vote for them, understand these exemptions from the law. Because their groups interests and personal interests are greater than that of their state.

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

As they protect their friends, their party and their special interest groups.

Voters and political constituents have understood this since the times of Plato. Yet they vote for them, understand these exemptions from the law. Because their groups interests and personal interests are greater than that of their state.

Sure. And I don't know whether it's brazen hypocrisy or a stunning lack of self awareness by folks who voted for Trump not once but twice to now opine on the need for accountability from our politicians but what I do know is that it's galling.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Sure. And I don't know whether it's brazen hypocrisy or a stunning lack of self awareness by folks who voted for Trump not once but twice to now opine on the need for accountability from our politicians but what I do know is that it's galling.

Likely both. But also an acceptance that groups of people will always comprise of some with selfish motivations. Those same groups are reluctant to expel them. Then you slowly feed power without accountability to that group.

When you accept barefaced lies from politicians its a slippery slope to the bottom.

IMO the fiduciary trust obligations that elected officials owe the public. Are never set into the statutes of law, with penalties attached. Because those within a group with selfish motivations start corrupting the group almost from the start.

20 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Does that include candidates that admitted they smoked pot or had an open affair with a married man?

There are current elected officials in both parties and federal employees that have allegedly broken the law and have not been investigated. Until an investigation is done there can't be charges. It appears that some are untouchable. Some believe that situation exists because they have evidence on opposing politicians. No one gets investigated because then they all go down. If true, it's a mind-numbing thought that our country is controlled by these people.

Isn't it interesting how politicians can become multi-millionaires on a public servant salary.

Are there politicians that are significantly less corrupt that could take over and push these folks aside?

How has Hunter avoided any consequences?

Open affair with a married man or woman depends on the circumstances; not all separations are the same. I was separated, and definitely on the way to divorce, for 2 1/2 years from my first husband, but we had an insurance issue, and we weren't going to make life hard for our son's other parent. So we stayed married until the insurance issue was settled. He dated during that time, I had no problem with it. I didn't, but it wasn't because I still felt married.

Fairness means giving someone you disagree with the same benefit of the doubt, or understanding of extenuating circumstances, that you give someone you know well.

And as far as smoking pot or doing drugs, no, I don't have a huge issue with that, either. Violence, assault, anything involving abuse of consent -- yeah, that takes a whole lot of understanding. Kavanaugh's situation is a good example. One incident when he was 17 would not have been disqualifying (I don't like him, but it's that fairness thing again). Most 17-year-olds are morons in some way or another. Several, and it shows a pattern I don't like.

Wendy P.

21 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Does that include candidates that admitted they smoked pot or had an open affair with a married man?

There are current elected officials in both parties . . . .

But only one party claims the mantle of "family values" as its own,  wraps itself in self-righteousness, holds prayer meetings in the Oval Office and Bible clutchings outside churches as photo-ops

That adds the stink of hypocrisy to anything else the perp may have done.

• Like 1

No. Whereas we shouldn't expect Fentanyl to become widely accepted anytime soon pot wasn't anything back when and it still isn't. Sexual assault was, still is and will remain not only abhorrent but illegal. You should be ashamed to equate the two. Maybe down in your part of the South the idea of grown adults being willingly flexible in their marital arrangements is a crime against humanity but, sorry to inform you, it ain't necessarily so or even an offense between the participants for a hell of a lot of people.