1 1
billvon

Welcome to the fourth wave

(edited)
8 hours ago, billvon said:

Nothing changes for me.  Still not going to bars, movie theaters or indoor restaurants..  Still wearing a mask. Still not traveling.

In three weeks?  We'll see.  If infections keep trending down here then I may start visiting my brewery again.

That is very sad, so afraid of dying that you are too afraid to live. :( I took the kids to Disney, frequented (supported) all of my favorite restaurants, had friends over for dinner and fire pit, went skiing, mountain biking, fishing, camping and shooting, my son played baseball, football and now baseball again, both kids are in private school with in person classes and we are still alive. 

Edited by brenthutch

53 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That is very sad, so afraid of dying that you are too afraid to live. :( I took the kids to Disney, frequented (supported) all of my favorite restaurants, had friends over for dinner and fire pit, went skiing, mountain biking, fishing, camping and shooting, my son played baseball, football and now baseball again, both kids are in private school with in person classes and we are still alive. 

54 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That is very sad, so afraid of dying that you are too afraid to live. 

That, hands down and against stiff competition, is one of your lamest statements yet. You realize we are all skydivers, yes? Some of us are also accomplished pilots, motocross racers, rock climbers, base jumpers, speed flyers, extreme scuba divers and a shit pot full of other cool risky things. But here are you in all of your brave glory being sad for us that we don't have the balls to go to Disneyland or your favorite Chucky Cheese owing to our fear of dying. Whatever.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That, hands down and against stiff competition, is one of your lamest statements yet. You realize we are all skydivers, yes? Some of us are also accomplished pilots, motocross racers, rock climbers, base jumpers, speed flyers, extreme scuba divers and a shit pot full of other cool risky things. But here are you in all of your brave glory being sad for us that we don't have the balls to go to Disneyland or your favorite Chucky Cheese owing to our fear of dying. Whatever.

Occasionally I see a BH quote and am reminded why I blocked him. Thanks for reminding me why it’s best to ignore his ridiculous bullshtuff Joe

• Like 6

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That is very sad, so afraid of dying that you are too afraid to live.

Here's some more stuff that will horrify and sadden you - 

I use a reserve when I skydive.

I open doors for old people and people with kids in tow.

I got a larger canopy for my BASE rig because the 220 wasn't doing it for lower jumps.

I don't drink much before driving.

I use protection when I climb.

I recently replaced the front brake on my MTB with a larger disk.

I wash my hands after I poop.

Now, I know a manly man like you doesn't do any of that because you are brave.  But give the rest of us a little slack - not everyone can measure up to your level of machismo.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, billvon said:

Nothing changes for me.  Still not going to bars, movie theaters or indoor restaurants..  Still wearing a mask. Still not traveling.

In three weeks?  We'll see.  If infections keep trending down here then I may start visiting my brewery again.

you mean nothing changes in the way you're dealing with it and the precautions you're taking, while i took it to mean that nothing physically changed for you.  my bad.  i feel the same way, my 2d shot is this wednesday.  but i didn't stop jumping last year, i just cut way back and didn't get too close or stay the nights partying.  that was the only place i went last year as i worked remote, and was dead set on waiting on the vaccine.  then covid lost my sweet contract and i am back to field work.  i jumped at the chance to get it and am glad i did.  now with the 100% chance of not dying from it, it feels better.  after a month it's effectively over for me, but i will wear a mask for a while now, mostly because i care about others, even the republicans and the ones i don't know.

10 hours ago, billvon said:

Here's some more stuff that will horrify and sadden you - 

I use a reserve when I skydive.

I open doors for old people and people with kids in tow.

I got a larger canopy for my BASE rig because the 220 wasn't doing it for lower jumps.

I don't drink much before driving.

I use protection when I climb.

I recently replaced the front brake on my MTB with a larger disk.

I wash my hands after I poop.

Now, I know a manly man like you doesn't do any of that because you are brave.  But give the rest of us a little slack - not everyone can measure up to your level of machismo.

Well thats it then. You're renaissance man of the year!

11 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Not true. 

What are you're thoughts on this one?

Nearly 40% of Marines have declined Covid-19 vaccine

Nearly 40% of US Marines are declining Covid-19 vaccinations, according to data provided to CNN on Friday by the service, the first branch to disclose service-wide numbers on acceptance and declination.

As of Thursday, approximately 75,500 Marines have received vaccines, including fully vaccinated and partially vaccinated service men and women. About 48,000 Marines have chosen not to receive vaccines, for a declination rate of 38.9%.

41 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Nearly 40% of US Marines are declining Covid-19 vaccinations, according to data provided to CNN on Friday by the service, the first branch to disclose service-wide numbers on acceptance and declination.

As of Thursday, approximately 75,500 Marines have received vaccines, including fully vaccinated and partially vaccinated service men and women. About 48,000 Marines have chosen not to receive vaccines, for a declination rate of 38.9%.

Well, hopefully they aren't refusing PT because they might get a boo-boo and skippy rope is too girly. 

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Not true. 

Hi Keith,

Yup:  It showed the largest proportion of deaths—29 percent—occurred in people ages 80 to 89. *

Fact Check: Have 966 People Died After Receiving the COVID vaccine? (newsweek.com)

Jerry Baumchen

*  The ones who have died here in Oregon have been the very elderly with underlying conditions; according to my local tv news.

PS)  The very first day of my Statistics class, the professor said, 'Nothing is 100% and nothing is zero %."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Some people aren't just in it for themselves. The protection isn't just for us, it's for others, too. Some people even volunteer time and/or money to benefit people who they don't even know, and who are unlikely ever to give them anything.

Wendy P.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Some people aren't just in it for themselves. The protection isn't just for us, it's for others, too. Some people even volunteer time and/or money to benefit people who they don't even know, and who are unlikely ever to give them anything.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

And some do not.

Jerry Baumchen

7 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

....  i jumped at the chance to get it and am glad i did.  now with the 100% chance of not dying from it, it feels better.  after a month it's effectively over for me, but i will wear a mask for a while now, mostly because i care about others, even the republicans and the ones i don't know.

6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Not true. 

Not quite 100%. But damned close.
Reports I've seen include 3 in Michigan (246 got sick) and 3 in Oregon (168 got sick).

Out of something approaching 200 million vaccinated. 

I'm good with those odds.

But I'll agree with continuing 'preventative behaviors', as I noted in my previous post.

Not for me, for those around me,

48 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

Some people care about others.

Some don't give a shit about anyone but themselves.
That has been abundantly clear for some time now.

7 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Not true. 

it is very true so far.  nobody in the world who has had a vaccine has died after getting covid.  if you find one that does after hundreds of millions of vaccinations, i will call that close enough to zero to be zero.

On 4/2/2021 at 2:42 AM, olofscience said:

So...the pandemic isn't over?

How does this age then:

I missed that post.

They were selling inserts that held a mask AWAY from the face?

Way to miss the point, Florida. *golf clap

(edited)
7 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Brother, there's a reason their Indian name is, "One who eats crayons." Quite frankly, I don't get it. When I was in the military; you didn't get in line to be "asked" if you wanted a shot and the only refusal was a documented case of adverse reaction. These guys walk down a gauntlet of medics with guns at the ready for inoculations before every deployment and don't utter a word, but COVID, 1) they have a choice? and 2) they don't squawk about the other myriad of shots we/they get. 

Short course:  Who the fuck told the Marines they had a choice on getting the vaccine? Senior leadership needs to make the call and tell them to get it or get the fuck out.     

Edited by BIGUN
But I ramble
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Brother, there's a reason their Indian name is, "One who eats crayons." Quite frankly, I don't get it. When I was in the military; you didn't get in line to be "asked" if you wanted a shot and the only refusal was a documented case of adverse reaction. These guys walk down a gauntlet of medics with guns at the ready for inoculations before every deployment and don't utter a word, but COVID, 1) they have a choice? and 2) they don't squawk about the other myriad of shots we/they get. 

Short course:  Who the fuck told the Marines they had a choice on getting the vaccine? Senior leadership needs to make the call and tell them to get it or get the fuck out.     

Hi Keith,

Re:  But I ramble.

I'm with you.  And, as we both know, you did not get a 'choice' when in the military.

Jerry Baumchen

26 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I heard a discussion of this on NPR a week or two ago:

- The reason they have a choice is because the COVID-19 vaccines are under Emergency Use Authorizations, and have not gone through normal FDA approval and licensing. If they had gone through the latter, the vaccines would be mandatory.

- The expert being interviewed proposed the high rate of refusal was because military life is so regimented, that when given the rare opportunity to say "No", the troops are doing it just because they can.

Back on March 13th, one of the posters here bragged about how brave he was to go to Florida with his family.  He was "happy to report bars and restaurants were open and packed."   He also talked about a clever trick he discovered - he used mask inserts that held the mask away from his face, so it would be more comfortable and not filter anything.  But since he technically still had a mask on, he could pretend he was "complying with the mandate."

Today's case numbers from Florida.  You can see the low point right around March 13th.  Looks like a lot of people around that time had the same idea as our poster here.  Congratulations?  I guess?  His trick worked.

Florida_Cases.PNG

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

A fool and his life are soon separated. Darwin will be dancing with the foolish for a while yet.

Well, that's the problem.  If the people who were being unsafe were the ones dying, then:

1) They'd stop doing it
2) You could say that they knew the risk and paid the price for their foolishness.

Unfortunately, it's not the 24 year old woman who parties all night without a mask in a packed bar in Ft. Lauderdale who pays the price for her foolishness.  She can believe in all the anti-vaxx, "plandemic," New World Order conspiracy theories she likes.  In all likelihood she will be fine, and can claim "See?  I was RIGHT!"

Nor will her 28 year old roommate pay the price.  They will both have asymptomatic (or mild) infections and be fine.

It's the 88 year old woman that the 28 year old cares for while she is at her job at the nursing home that pays the price for that foolishness.

7 hours ago, BIGUN said:

As I pointed out previously, now it's just another federal service job and the employees have rights.