skybytch

Need some help with media computer specs

We are looking to buy a desktop dedicated to streaming video and music from the interwebs and hard drive to a 75" screen and a low end stereo system (stimulus yay!).  We have no clue what to buy as far as specs go.

We won't be gaming on it if that matters. What cards/processors/speeds/etc should we be looking at to get mid range quality audio and video output?   

Thanks! 

I can't imagine you would need much. You are basically doing what a Chromecast or FireStick does. If you want to do 4K I suppose you need a graphics card that can output 4K, but I would think for the computer anything would work. 

For use with my Zwift setup (so I can ride a bike trainer in a virual world) I bought a used office tower off Ebay for like $150 and it works fine. 

(edited)

i would use a raspberry pi for this with a big hard drive attached to it, like maybe 3 or 4 tb.  if you get two of the pi's, you can use one as a pihole, aka ad blocker that works for everything on the whole network.  that is the ideal setup.  you can get the whole thing for about $2-300, depending on the cost of the external hard drive.

damn, just noticed how old this post is.  what did you go with?

Edited by sfzombie13
noticed how old it was

On 5/13/2021 at 3:13 AM, sfzombie13 said:

what did you go with?

Haven't purchased anything yet.  The laptop works for streaming hockey games, Netflix and music, the PS4 works for DVD's and we NEEDED a shuffleboard table so..... ;-)