Vaccine passports - yes or no?

Vaccine passports - yes or no?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Vaccine passports, yes or no

• Good idea
    • Bad idea
    • Boobies

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Locate a soft target provider in a suspected anti-vaxx area.

I like the way you think. But there are none of either here. One of my partners did luck into getting the Oxford shot because Canada has suspended its use except for some age groups and his doctor had a supply to use up. The bulk of the distribution here is happening in super centres. The convention centre in Winnipeg has been commandeered and turned into a massive two story vaccination factory. They are doing a good job with what they have. They are booking appointments for 64 yo now, I am 63 and expect to be able to book maybe today or tomorrow. Most likely Pfizer. 

If not, I am in MN next week and thinking of trying to sneak one there!

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

I like the way you think. But there are none of either here. One of my partners did luck into getting the Oxford shot because Canada has suspended its use except for some age groups and his doctor had a supply to use up. The bulk of the distribution here is happening in super centres. The convention centre in Winnipeg has been commandeered and turned into a massive two story vaccination factory. They are doing a good job with what they have. They are booking appointments for 64 yo now, I am 63 and expect to be able to book maybe today or tomorrow. Most likely Pfizer. 

Do it if you can. After we cased the joint and got jabs we schooled two 50+ year old friends on the layout and they got in and jabbed, too. Good luck.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Hi Ken,

A suggestion; tell your TI's that you will identify ( to your tandem students ) which have had the vax vs those who have refused.  The potential loss of income might be the tipping point.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I know which ones I would choose.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Get creative, put a red dot on your forehead and tell them you're a Hindu and your age began at conception. Scream discrimination a few times and get your jab.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Can you get a load to/from CO? It's already open-season for anyone 50+, and tomorrow, it opens up for anyone 16+.

28 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Get creative, put a red dot on your forehead and tell them you're a Hindu and your age began at conception. Scream discrimination a few times and get your jab.

In Canada that will work for sure. Natives have recently opened their own vaccination centers. Open to all. I'm sure i can print off a

spacer.png

59 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

In Canada that will work for sure. Natives have recently opened their own vaccination centers. Open to all. I'm sure i can print off a

spacer.png

In BC you can make an appointment in any of the regular vaccination centres if you self-identify as Indigenous (status or non-status First Nations, Metis or Inuit). There is no requirement to provide proof of ancestry.

20 hours ago, lippy said:

Based on that process, it strikes me that anybody who wanted to fake a vaccine passport to travel (and where I work in rural TX that's a conversation I hear at least once a week, in addition to comments like "I just don't know what's in that vaccine") would be able to do it so easily that it would defeat the purpose of the passport.

You're falling into the same logical trap as the antivaxxers. Just like the vaccine, the vaccine passport doesn't have to be either 0% or 100% effective. The question is: Will it be effective enough to be a net benefit.

53 minutes ago, nwt said:

You're falling into the same logical trap as the antivaxxers. Just like the vaccine, the vaccine passport doesn't have to be either 0% or 100% effective. The question is: Will it be effective enough to be a net benefit.

I say let the market decide. If businesses want to support the anti-vaxxer, Trump voting, flat earth crowd then put up a sign denying access to vaccinated people. Then everyone is happy.

4 hours ago, nwt said:

Your point is well taken, and in general I'm not a fan of the "the solution isn't perfect so it's not worth trying" argument that's frequently thrown around in arguments such as opposition to gun control.  

I think the anti-vaxxers would be just as motivated (or possibly even more-so) to fake a passport than to get vaccinated, but a passport requirement pre-travel would likely push a lot of people who were just hesitant/unmotivated to seek out the jab.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:48 PM, lippy said:

Your point is well taken, and in general I'm not a fan of the "the solution isn't perfect so it's not worth trying" argument that's frequently thrown around in arguments such as opposition to gun control.  

I think the anti-vaxxers would be just as motivated (or possibly even more-so) to fake a passport than to get vaccinated, but a passport requirement pre-travel would likely push a lot of people who were just hesitant/unmotivated to seek out the jab.

So is faking an orgasm but we know who they are, too.

5 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

I vote FOR vaccine passports.

Mind you, I got vaccinated on Monday ... Moderna ... via my employer ... I am over 63 years old.

Damn right, but we can't have any fakes or fraud. Instead of a forgeable document we should follow the Yakuza example and allow a finger tip to be severed. No faking that.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:27 PM, JoeWeber said:

If we do it right, but we won't because we're Liberals and can't organize a three person marble game if we all came and also brought the marbles, we could back door this into the biggest left wing coup ever. No Vaccination? No Vote in person. No Vaccination? No in person gun buying. No Vaccination? Get away from my good seat at the Sushi bar. The list is endless.

i am all for that logic.  i must be a liberal.  no vaccine?  get the hell out of my air.

10 hours ago, headoverheels said:

That would be a binary approach.

This will cause the edges of the Earth some here know and love to curl up and inwards like a tostada but I'd go so far as to make vaccinations a requirement to work in any environment where you are in close contact with the general public: restaurants, Ubers and skydiving included. If you are opposed then find a warehouse gig or someone willing to pay you to stare at your laptop all day. Let's use this golden opportunity to stop knuckleheads from giving the rest of us any kind of flu because it's all about their personal freedom.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

This will cause the edges of the Earth some here know and love to curl up and inwards like a tostada but I'd go so far as to make vaccinations a requirement to work in any environment where you are in close contact with the general public: restaurants, Ubers and skydiving included. If you are opposed then find a warehouse gig or someone willing to pay you to stare at your laptop all day. Let's use this golden opportunity to stop knuckleheads from giving the rest of us any kind of flu because it's all about their personal freedom.

See its a good thing that liberals are not pro gun, pro carry. Because they would be in a checkout line carrying their cocked and locked 1911s. All maintaining a Brazil variant appropriate 20 foot distance. Then the personal freedom loving, non-vaxxer, conservative, covid carrying hillbilly, would start coughing and hacking right next to them. It would all have a tragic outcome as the liberals in line would all open fire all at the same time.

11 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

See its a good thing that liberals are not pro gun, pro carry. Because they would be in a checkout line carrying their cocked and locked 1911s. All maintaining a Brazil variant appropriate 20 foot distance. Then the personal freedom loving, non-vaxxer, conservative, covid carrying hillbilly, would start coughing and hacking right next to them. It would all have a tragic outcome as the liberals in line would all open fire all at the same time.

Yes, well it's high time the a whole new meaning be given to getting a Brazilian.