1 1
eric.fradet

cleaning a greasy feeling on a rig

this is about a machine washed Javelin rig, but the concern is that the previous washing of the washing machine (before that of the parachute) washed kitchen towels including a tea towel which was used to mop up oil from the fryer, the machine was still well soaked oil and suddenly spread all over the rig, permeating the fabrics, seams and straps everywhere. Several washes were then carried out, lukewarm and for the moment everything remains greasy.
My first question is whether it can alter the straps, the seams and the fabric ?, the cold fryer oil, in the long run and then do you know a miracle recipe to remove that greasy feeling ?

thanks

I wouldn't think that it would degrade the material. Maybe break down some ridgidity to the nylon. IDK time will tell.  

Soak the whole rig in a warm/hot bin of water and a ton of dawn dishwashing soap and massage the rig with your hands while in there.  Dawn cuts grease pretty well. You may need to attempt this a few times.

(edited)

Detergent emulsifies with and removes cooking oils. And it does not harm nylon. You may need to use warmer than lukewarm water to get the best effect but I would avoid straight hot water. Seriously, I wash dirty rigs with Tide. You will need to rinse well.  ( I know, this is blasphemy to many people ) 

Edited by gowlerk