3 3
airdvr

The Trial of Derek Chauvin

1 hour ago, lippy said:

And the far-right outrage of the morning is condemning LeBron James for 'inciting violence against a cop'.  Jesus, anything to distract and declare a new boogey-man!

Maybe in this specific case the shooting was justified, but taking history into account James reached a pretty reasonable conclusion and used his platform to voice a fucking justified frustration.  

Jussy Smollet

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

Jussy Smollet

So police violence against people of color should be swept under the rug because one attention whore tried to pull some really stupid shit to bring himself back into the spotlight?  

21 minutes ago, lippy said:

So police violence against people of color should be swept under the rug because one attention whore tried to pull some really stupid shit to bring himself back into the spotlight?  

No. So many pundits jumped on the wagon before they knew the facts.  

23 minutes ago, airdvr said:

When you’re standing here declaring that you have no need to know what evidence was produced in Chauvin’s trial because you have already made up your mind that  he wasn’t guilty of murder you really shouldn’t be making such stunningly hypocritical statements.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Along your line of thinking there are the three other cops who did nothing. Who are still awaiting trial. Chauvin has no priors.

Chauvin has no priors because police generally don't get convicted of things. He did have a long history of use of force complaints and official reprimands though. To use a parlance that no right winger could possibly object to, Chauvin is no angel. He is a bad hombre and no one should lose any sleep if he gets the maximum possible sentence, no matter whether it' justified or not.

39 minutes ago, jakee said:

Chauvin ...a bad hombre and no one should lose any sleep if he gets the maximum possible sentence, no matter whether it' justified or not.

That sounds as if its something Brent or Airdvr would say.

Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime?

38 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

That sounds as if its something Brent or Airdvr would say.

Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime?

If you have people spending lifetimes in jail for shoplifting or smoking a joint, what exactly is the appropriate punishment for kneeling on somebody's neck for 9 minutes until they are dead?

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 9:18 AM, airdvr said:

https://www.startribune.com/floyd-s-autopsy-makes-medical-examiner-a-rare-target-of-anger/571343522/

Nationwide, people expressed outrage when prosecutors released the preliminary findings of George Floyd’s autopsy, highlighting cardiovascular disease and “potential intoxicants” in his system, as if those factors might explain his death as police officers pinned him to the ground.

The findings contained just one mention of physical trauma, noting that Floyd’s body showed no signs of asphyxia or strangulation. The public and some medical professionals cried foul, putting Dr. Andrew Baker, Hennepin County’s medical examiner, squarely in the hot seat.

Just sayin'.

A properly executed "choke hold" will stop the blood flow AND the flow of air. It's the sudden blood flow restriction that makes you go night night (if done right). 

But I digress. 

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

Like a certain person who kept insisting 11ng/ml of fentanyl was a lethal dose despite not having any medical background?

the thing folks are missing on fatal dosage is tolerance.  a heavy user can take a dose that would kill up to 5 or 6 non-users, depending on the substance.  i know a guy that drinks a case of beer a day, every day, and doesn't start 'til 5.  that would kill me the first night, maybe.  that much may be a lethal dose, but like pointed out in this thread somewhere, they use up to 20 for anesthesia, so it's variable.

No, but you are a person who much more automatically identifies with the police than with the policed. Even when the police are pretty clearly wrong (e.g. Chauvin), you're finding ways to understand them, when you seem to find it more difficult to identify with a young woman who was in a fight, called 911, and ended up getting shot because she was still fighting when the police showed up.

Wendy P.

30 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I'm not a pundit Bill. 

Agreed.  You are just a person who decides to ignore, or even not look at, the information available, then comes to a conclusion based on that incomplete information.  

Again, just like the people you condemn for doing that.

9 hours ago, airdvr said:

LeBron should not have made a threatening comment directed at the police. But he is a leader with integrity.

How LeBron James has become a leading voice for social justice in a racially divided nation

“LeBron James has consistently positioned himself throughout his career as a leader. He has shown leadership on the court as well as integrity in the community…”

"While Jordan has been criticized for purportedly protecting his brand by not speaking up during turbulent racial developments, James has been the opposite. He seemingly has not been afraid of losing endorsements or fans.

“It’s hard for me to separate the player and the man,” said Brandon Bagley, an NBA fan and a former track star at the University of Kentucky who lives in Louisville. “His basketball talent facilitates his activism. His word wouldn’t matter as much or reach as far if he were not a great player. But he is willing to risk his status in the eyes of some of the public to stand up for what he believes in."

12 hours ago, billvon said:

He may have made an error in judgment; if he had a taser that would have been a better choice.

I disagree--lunging at someone with a deadly weapon*** is about as justifiable as it gets for lethal force. I think a taser would have been inappropriate if that were the situation.

***If that's what happened--I haven't seen the video or read about it, I just saw that someone in this thread said that's what happened.

7 hours ago, airdvr said:

I'm not a pundit Bill.  I don't have the following of a LeBron James.  

So you're allowed to be wrong because you're not being wrong publicly enough? 

But what about all the other people who, like you, are being wrong because it suits their politics and who, like you, are loudly spreading their wrong conclusions over chosen web forums and social media? It's like voting, right? Your one vote never matters, but collectively they all do.

I don't incite violence against police.

No, you incite police violence against everyone else.

9 hours ago, nwt said:

I disagree--lunging at someone with a deadly weapon*** is about as justifiable as it gets for lethal force. I think a taser would have been inappropriate if that were the situation.

wrong.  it is the perfect situation for a taser, depending on some variables.  1.  she was the one who called the cops, but was merely still fighting when they arrived.  2.  she had lunged with a knife, so had she been about 5 or 10 feet or more from the target a taser would have most likely stopped her with no harm to the target. 

that is from a purely armchair perspective, and i am not disagreeing that he was justified in lethal force.  i disagree that the taser would not be good.  in my opinion, the best reform, or at least the first, for cops should be deescalation coupled with non-lethal techniques to subdue suspects.  mandatory aikido also.  if most of these cops were more confident in their self defense ability, they wouldn't be so scared.  if they were confident in their ability to deescalate a situation, they wouldn't be so scared.  this won't take care of everything, but it will go a long way.

• Like 1