SkyDivesAreUs

A License Proficiency/progression card.

Just finished up my AFP about a week or two ago, I'm not sure which of the two I need but besides the logbook that I've been having filled out after each AFP jump, I didn't realize there was another application that needs to be filled out.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is this something the dropzone already has and is filling out after each jump? (usually they have their own forms they would fill out seperate from my logbook, but it was a pinksheet that doesn't look like either of the A license papers I saw on the USPA website) Or is this something I need to print out off of the USPA website and bring with me so I can get it filled out after each jump? Considering I only need my 5 coach jumps I feel like I should of already had this being filled out to make sure I meet all the requirements but am unsure if this is the case :S

Only reason I even found out about it was because a jumper I met when hanging out after hours told me to review the A license requirements and make sure I'm practicing them even on fun jumps.

It is possible that your instructors have been filling one out, but each dz operates differently. You will need to complete each of the objectives on the A license proficiency card and get them all signed off by a USPA instructor (or some by a coach) to get your A license. Practicing for your check dive and practicing the other skills required are great exercises to do on your solos, as are the accuracy landings. AND outside of jumping there are gear information objectives including packing.

Time to talk to your instructors about what's next for you specifically, in addition to your 5 jumps.

Congratulations on your AFP! You're so close! All that's in between you and your licence is more jumps and more talking about skydiving... not bad, right? :)

Well, I run a DZ and I usually teach the First Jump Course for AFF students. At the end of the ground training, I provide the student with a 4 sided A license proficiency card -- it is found on the USPA website, but I have no expectation that the students will find it and the FJC needs to be signed off anyway. We use the four sided card because it tracks the USPA ISP category training from the SIM in an orderly and building block approach. IMO, whoever signs off the FJC should provide the card to the student. There are many things on the proficiency card that are likely to not be logged by the instructor on the jump in the logbook, such as rear riser and front riser turns, changing a closing loop, check another jumper's gear etc., unless they are looking at the card. The card provides the student with the "way forward" and also lets the instructors see what the student has accomplished, and more importantly, what the student needs to accomplish so training can be focused. The cost of a sheet of plain paper is nothing, but not providing a proficiency card to the student is really a dereliction of our duty to supervise our students. Again, my opinion, but USPA wouldn't have created the card if it weren't part of the program. And at the end of training a fully completed card, signed off by the appropriate level of rating holders where indicated, is a necessary step to receiving an A license from USPA. I can't think of any reason not to provide the student with the A license proficiency card so both the student and the instructional staff can track the student's training.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

So I went to the dropzone yesterday after work to try and get a jump in even though I couldnt jump because the caravan was down for inspection and they could only take the c-182 up and they ran out of time to do anymore loads.

While I was there I asked them about it and it turns out its stapled to the back of all the pink sheets they were filling out after each jump, weird thing is they didnt have anythig filled out on the card itself but she said they could do that later based off the notes on all my jumps.

Luckily the winds are dying down and the weathers looking nice so Ill hopefully get all my coach jumps and fun jumps in and complete all the requirements within a week or two :)

At me dz, we keep the proficiency card in the student's file. Fill them out, yes, potentially let a student lose them, bad idea.

Skydivers are adults. Adults should be able to hold onto a piece of paper they've spends hundreds or thousands of dollars on.

- Dan G

DanG

Skydivers are adults. Adults should be able to hold onto a piece of paper they've spends hundreds or thousands of dollars on.

Yes! By the time a student has a few jumps you would think that they would have a little "ditty bag" or something (with their name on it) in which to put their logbook, Proficiency Card, goggles, and pullup cord. A guy needs something to put their keys and wallet into while they are jumping anyway.

I have never understood a DZ keeping possession of a student's documentation (unless they really don't want them going elsewhere to jump.)

Well it turns out I should of had it myself and should of had it filled out as I go. I was talking with one of the most experienced skydivers at the place (he works there) and another student so the A-license got brought up, I should of had it and been filling it out the whole time, he immediately walked over to the front desk and ripped it off my pink sheets to give it to me and signed off on some of the things I did today and was somewhat annoyed that my original AFP instructor didn't even go over it with me from the start and that I was told I could have it filled out later by someone else.

Landed with precision three times out of all my jumps so far but could only have him sign off on the 1 today because I never marked it down in my log book (instructors wrote the stuff in there up until recently and they never mentioned them) or had it filled out with the instructors who are now gone to another DZ due to the weather shifting where I'm at.

Based off what's written in my log book and the pink sheets I can have some of it filled in but I could of had well over half of it filled out and signed if I had it from the start [:/]

It's not so bad in some sense, I only need 3 more coach jumps and a few fun jumps to reach 25 but I honestly don't feel ready to be licensed yet anyway and was planning to hold off on my check dive until I felt ready so getting some more practice isn't too bad IMO, mainly feel like I need more time under canopy more then freefall lol. Still sucks a little that I've already performed certain requirements on it and didn't get them signed off so I'll have to do them again and could of started practicing certain things on it if I knew they were a requirement :(

Certainly some instructor are more thorough than othets, I'm sorry you got a bit of the run around.

Read through the student training modules in the Skydivers Information Manual (SIM). The license requirements are outlined there including examples of what to do on each jump. Think of your instructors like college professors: they have the answers, but you have to ask the questions. If you just go by what they feel like covering that day, you go at their pace. You can go at your own pace, you just have to set that pace!

Remember to always log your landings as specific distance from target (3 feet or 1 meter or zero feet). There are accuracy requirements for your A, B, and C license with the distance from target getting smaller for each. That first time you stomp your target counts for all 3...but only if your logbook includes distance (just writing "accuracy" won't tell me much next year when you're trying to find your 25 accuracy landings for your C license card!).