2 2
brenthutch

Face mask life hack

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

My cat always helps me do yoga!

Wendy P.

I didn't mean to disparage. I totally respect the religious nature of Hot Yoga. You're on a mat, you get up and down on command, and you spend the entire hour trying to not get caught looking where you aren't supposed to look. If that isn't church, what is?

21 hours ago, BIGUN said:

We were no where near that premise. /

so you're ok with us making sure that christianity is the one religion of the us, noted.  maybe i should have said satanist rather than muslim, as i interpret their allah as not god, or else we would say "in allah we trust".  thanx for clarifying that @billvon.  i knew i would find something i agreed with you on though, and i do agree that we should not insult one's culture.  the way you are raised is something outside of your control to, your religion is not. 

if you think we were nowhere near that premise, you must be smoking something that is affecting short term memory.  last time i checked, there are many states trying to use THEIR religious views to decimate the rights of women, not to mention what they are trying to do with trans folks.  do you think they are not worthy of having THEIR beliefs respected?  how about we just do like the founders intended and COMPLETELY separate the church from the state.  unless you think it's ok to control people through religion. 

46 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

so you're ok with us making sure that christianity is the one religion of the us, noted.  maybe i should have said satanist rather than muslim, as i interpret their allah as not god, or else we would say "in allah we trust".  thanx for clarifying that @billvon.  i knew i would find something i agreed with you on though, and i do agree that we should not insult one's culture.  the way you are raised is something outside of your control to, your religion is not. 

if you think we were nowhere near that premise, you must be smoking something that is affecting short term memory.  last time i checked, there are many states trying to use THEIR religious views to decimate the rights of women, not to mention what they are trying to do with trans folks.  do you think they are not worthy of having THEIR beliefs respected?  how about we just do like the founders intended and COMPLETELY separate the church from the state.  unless you think it's ok to control people through religion. 

I'm sorry, could you repeat that?

(edited)
57 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I'm sorry, could you repeat that?

To you, or anyone who who object to a lack of respect for any religion on this forum I invite you to read the only sticky post at the front page one more time. Here is an excerpt....

Also note that while we will not tolerate hate posts, there is no rule prohibiting attacks against groups or non-DZ.commers. (See here for details on what constitutes a hate post.) Organized religions, political parties, celebrities, presidents, and countries are all fair game. If such posts will upset you, do not read or post to this forum. 

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

To you, or anyone who who object to a lack of respect for any religion on this forum I invite you to read the only sticky post at the front page one more time. Here is an excerpt....

Also note that while we will not tolerate hate posts, there is no rule prohibiting attacks against groups or non-DZ.commers. (See here for details on what constitutes a hate post.) Organized religions, political parties, celebrities, presidents, and countries are all fair game. If such posts will upset you, do not read or post to this forum. 

In BIGUN's defense he attempts to use respectful argument to support his position.Ron does as well but his use of scripture just will not cut it. Where he fails is to separate himself and his argument from the dismal failures of the christian religion. i.e. trump, i.e christian evangelicals in the US, televangelists.

Why is it that not one televangelist uses the funding that their "ministries" generate , I would call them profit centers, or scam centers. To promote christian values and projects. Here is one:

1. Kenneth Copeland  Net Worth $760 Million "Kenneth Copeland is very close to being a Billionaire even though he already claims billion dollar status. He runs Kenneth Copeland Ministries. His ministry’s 1,500-acre campus is a half-hour drive from Fort Worth includes a church, a private airstrip, a hangar for the ministry’s $17.5 million jet and other aircraft, and a $6 million church owned lakefront mansion."

Isn't that christian of him? Like trump he exaggerates his net worth to flatter his ego.

Edited by Phil1111

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

In BIGUN's defense he attempts to use respectful argument to support his position.

He does and I appreciate it. Really my only point is that expecting respect for the majority religion, or any religion in this forum, and calling someone out for lack of such respect is in turn showing a lack of respect for the terms we all agree to when we participate here. You might even say that it is disrespectful of our culture!

Edited by gowlerk

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

He does and I appreciate it. Really my only point is that expecting respect for the majority religion, or any religion in this forum, and calling someone out for lack of such respect is in turn showing a lack of respect for the terms we all agree to when we participate here. You might even say that it is disrespectful of our culture!

I give respect to individuals and organizations that deserve it.. Setting aside the whole respect angle. The use of tax free institutions, like religions who then use their organizations for political purposes. Is particularly galling. The corruption of religions for personal financial gain. Even more egregious.

I used to be naive about other religions as well."There is a history of persecution of Muslims in Myanmar  The UN states that the Rohingyas are one of the most persecuted groups in the world...Myanmar security forces have driven the Rohingyas off their land, burned down their mosques and committed widespread looting, arson and rape of Rohingya Muslims...In 2001, anti-Muslim pamphlets, most notably The Fear of Losing One's Race, were widely distributed by Buddhist monks."

Buddhists which are 80 percent of the population have spearheaded this genocide.

Having said that there are christians working in third world countries that do great work. Some of the most effective charities are faith based.

just in case you're not trolling:  multiple states have passed laws outlawing abortions, clearly unconstitutional.  the only thing they are meant to do, besides control women based on several religious concepts (the part i was referring to), is meant to give the stacked scotus a chance to repeal wade v roe, something some of them have admitted to being open to if i recall correctly.  that mingling of the church controlling us using the state.  if you can't see how that is the case...(at a loss for words)

1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

just in case you're not trolling:  multiple states have passed laws outlawing abortions, clearly unconstitutional.  the only thing they are meant to do, besides control women based on several religious concepts (the part i was referring to), is meant to give the stacked scotus a chance to repeal wade v roe, something some of them have admitted to being open to if i recall correctly.  that mingling of the church controlling us using the state.  if you can't see how that is the case...(at a loss for words)

Hi 13,

Re:  multiple states have passed laws outlawing abortions

I disagree.  They have passed laws that infringe upon the right to abortion.  Sort of like back in the 70's during the gasoline shortage.  The federal gov't. did not ban driving, they just told you that you could not drive over 55 MPH on federal highways.

This is how they will continue to chip away at Roe v Wade.  It is the old 'Death by a Thousand Cuts.'

And, I am totally against it.  

Jerry Baumchen

37 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi 13,

Re:  multiple states have passed laws outlawing abortions

I disagree.  They have passed laws that infringe upon the right to abortion.  Sort of like back in the 70's during the gasoline shortage.  The federal gov't. did not ban driving, they just told you that you could not drive over 55 MPH on federal highways.

This is how they will continue to chip away at Roe v Wade.  It is the old 'Death by a Thousand Cuts.'

And, I am totally against it.  

Jerry Baumchen

in la, they ban an abortion after a heartbeat is detected.  that normally happens around 5 weeks.  most women can go the first month without knowing they are pregnant.  that gives them a week to get an abortion.  if they wait until 6 weeks, they are not allowed to have an abortion.  that is just the first one i looked at which very much makes it illegal to get an abortion, thus a challenge to go to the scotus for removal of wade.  there are others that also do that.

13 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

in la, they ban an abortion after a heartbeat is detected.  that normally happens around 5 weeks.  most women can go the first month without knowing they are pregnant.  that gives them a week to get an abortion.

Then add a mandatory 2 week waiting period and bam!  It's effectively illegal.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:24 PM, BIGUN said:

The root of "culture" is "Colere." Latin for "to worship." Meaning to cultivate, to grow.

The first sentence is certainly true. The second part is misleading. Colere as a verb was much more used in Latin to indicated agricultural uses.

But belief systems are certainly part of culture.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Why is it that not one televangelist uses the funding that their "ministries" generate , I would call them profit centers, or scam centers. To promote christian values and projects. Here is one:

1. Kenneth Copeland  Net Worth $760 Million "Kenneth Copeland is very close to being a Billionaire even though he already claims billion dollar status. He runs Kenneth Copeland Ministries. His ministry’s 1,500-acre campus is a half-hour drive from Fort Worth includes a church, a private airstrip, a hangar for the ministry’s $17.5 million jet and other aircraft, and a $6 million church owned lakefront mansion."

Isn't that christian of him? Like trump he exaggerates his net worth to flatter his ego.

I've spoken out against these types of organizations more than once. Technically, profit centers under the guise of religion. Disgusts me. And, Kenneth Copeland is at the top of my list of "religious" jack-offs. I care and speak more of the small church in Central America that helps its congregation with clean water and housing than the Copelands of the world. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, wmw999 said:

My cat always helps me do yoga!

Fun fact - Alabama has banned yoga in schools because they fear it will cause defections from Christianity to Hinduism or - worse yet - meditation. From the article - "representatives from two conservative groups said they were worried it could lead to the promotion of Hinduism or guided meditation practices."

One wonders if they will next ban French fries lest Alabamans move to France, or ban movies in case they cause people to move excessively.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/alabama-yoga-ban-school-hinduism-b1825334.html

12 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Silliness. I guess Alabama is not well-versed on bible scripture. 

it is not, nor was it ever, about religion, pro life, or anything else they spout endlessly.  it is, and always was, about control.  control of women, control of minorities, control of the country, the economy, and everything else.  that is the true evil of the gop.  that and the fact that with their propaganda and lies have almost half the country who believes what they say, regardless of common sense or the truth.  folks such as yourself.  otherwise great folks who are smart, honest, and caring.  that is the true definition of insidious.  it is policy based on control and greed.

23 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

it is not, nor was it ever, about religion, pro life, or anything else they spout endlessly.  it is, and always was, about control.  control of women, control of minorities, control of the country, the economy, and everything else.  that is the true evil of the gop.  that and the fact that with their propaganda and lies have almost half the country who believes what they say, regardless of common sense or the truth.  folks such as yourself.  otherwise great folks who are smart, honest, and caring.  that is the true definition of insidious.  it is policy based on control and greed.

Somebody started typing on dz.com before their first cup of coffee. Look, there is good and bad in both parties. And, when it comes to control - neither party has a monopoly on it - that is the true evil of politics in general. "Folks such as yourself" are in both parties - those that keep the party from going too far right or left. 

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Somebody started typing on dz.com before their first cup of coffee. Look, there is good and bad in both parties. And, when it comes to control - neither party has a monopoly on it - that is the true evil of politics in general. "Folks such as yourself" are in both parties - those that keep the party from going too far right or left. 

Please.

Seriously, stop with the 'both-siderism'.

I don't disagree that most politics is about control.

And the Ds are a long, long way from perfect.

But, for now, the number of ways the right is trying to force others to follow their beliefs far outweigh the left.

From voting rights, to reproductive rights, to discrimination, to health care, to basic science

It's not even close.

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

those are some fine sound bites from the gop propaganda machine.  it is very true, and that small grain of truth is what makes it work.  otherwise, smart folks such as yourself wouldn't fall for it.  i highly respect you for a random internet stranger, and it is a free country and you are due your beliefs as am i.  i am not a democrat, but lean that way most often when i am forced to choose the lesser of two evils.  enjoy the day.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Please.

But, for now, the number of ways the right is trying to force others to follow their beliefs far outweigh the left.

From voting rights, to reproductive rights, to discrimination, to health care, to basic science

It's not even close.

I agree but there is some. A free press and strong independent opposition is necessary for democracy. These Are The 10 Republicans Who Voted To Impeach Trump

"trump "summoned this mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack." She called what Trump did the "greatest betrayal" of a U.S. president ever." Liz Cheney

"He said Trump "incited this insurrection" and "if these actions — the Article II branch inciting a deadly insurrection against the Article I branch — are not worthy of impeachment, then what is an impeachable offense?" Adam Kinzinger, he is a leader.

The GOP needs to get rid of trump then leaders who have abandoned the party and others can return the party to the middle.

• Like 2

Let's park this for a second.

the number of ways the right is trying to force others to follow their beliefs far outweigh the left.

Conversely, the right believes the left is trying to force others to follow their beliefs.

Hence - both sides. And, no. I will not stop from trying to point out that both sides are at fault and that America is worse off for it.