1 1
kallend

Just how gullible are Trumpists anyway?

I saw this on another forum:

"It's the Schrodinger's Cat Defence: Can't be defamation because no reasonable person would believe them to be true AND: Can't be defamation because I believed at the time for the statements to be true...."

On 3/26/2021 at 7:34 AM, kallend said:

Looks like Georgia Republicans bought into the lies and are not "reasonable people".

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia-voting-bill-restricting-early-voting-signed-into-law-governor-kemp/ 

2 minutes ago, kallend said:

We all knew it already, but now even his Chief of Staff calls him a liar:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/politics/mick-mulvaney-trump-january-6-riot/index.html

Yet there is no push-back from republicans. Contrary to claims that republicans are becoming more moderate. The GOP is so far out on the bell curve their center is over the horizon.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/politics/mick-mulvaney-trump-january-6-riot/index.html

And the sad, unsurprising quote near the end of the story:

Still, Mulvaney said he "absolutely would" still vote for Trump if he were to win the Republican presidential nomination in 2024.

4 hours ago, kallend said:

Hi John,

From your link:  Trump earlier this week attempted to rewrite the history of the insurrection, which he stoked by repeatedly and falsely claiming the 2020 election was stolen from him. 

Does anyone need any further proof that Trump is delusional?

Jerry Baumchen

2 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Does anyone need any further proof that Trump is delusional?

There is nothing delusional about Trump; he's just self-centered and self-serving, viewing pretty much everything around him as being about him, and manipulable to his benefit. He has a genius for detecting grievance and playing on it, to get people thinking he's with them.

Wendy P.

12 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

There is nothing delusional about Trump; he's just self-centered and self-serving, viewing pretty much everything around him as being about him, and manipulable to his benefit. He has a genius for detecting grievance and playing on it, to get people thinking he's with them.

Wendy P.

It doesn't take genius to know that a hound dog will hunt a ham bone. 

By the time complaints about trump's fraud was over his campaign refunded just under $65 million. Those who didn't complain were out $170 million to hundreds of millions. Oh well fools and their money are soon separated.

"Stacy Blatt was in hospice care last September listening to Rush Limbaugh’s dire warnings about how badly Donald J. Trump’s campaign needed money when he went online and chipped in everything he could: $500.

It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Mr. Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.

“It felt,” Russell said, “like it was a scam.”

But what the Blatts believed was duplicity was actually an intentional scheme to boost revenues by the Trump campaign and the for-profit company that processed its online donations, WinRed. Facing a cash crunch and getting badly outspent by the Democrats, the campaign had begun last September to set up recurring donations by default for online donors, for every week until the election."

(edited)
1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Yup. This is starting to come out.

The fact that they were recurring donations was hidden.
The 'opt out' for making them one time donations was also very difficult to find.

I cannot remember where I was seeing some comments on this -- maybe YouTube, maybe FB.  Anyway, mostly about raising money for R's via WinRed contributions, but some commented on the default recurring payments.  I suggested that they contribute instead on ActBlue, since it didn't do that.   ;-)  

Edited by headoverheels

On 3/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, wmw999 said:

There is nothing delusional about Trump; he's just self-centered and self-serving, viewing pretty much everything around him as being about him, and manipulable to his benefit.

I would argue that he really does believe his own spiel, which makes him delusional.  For example, I think he really did believe that he won the last election, and would rightly become president if he could just gum up the works sufficiently that the "impostor" president couldn't be seated.

Magical thinking is one of the more common delusions.  It's not unique to Trump, and it's not even that rare - nor is it all that pathological.  It's no more an indication of mental illness than the guy who thinks he is God's gift to women, or the worker drone who thinks the world is out to get him because he never gets a good promotion.

“My warning to corporate America is to stay out of politics.  I’m not talking about political contributions.”  Mitch McConnell, April 5.

I wonder how the CEOs will interpret the "shut up and just keep sending money" message.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

“My warning to corporate America is to stay out of politics.  I’m not talking about political contributions.”  Mitch McConnell, April 5.

I wonder how the CEOs will interpret the "shut up and just keep sending money" message.

Funny how he didn't seem to mind the "My Pillow" guy or Goya Foods 'sticking their nose' in.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

What makes you think that this is new?

It's not totally new.

But it's gotten worse in the past 15-20 years.

It's not as bad as, say, right before the Civil War. 

But it's a lot worse that, say, the 50s or 60s.

I've heard an interesting idea on why that is.
In the 50s, many people who were in positions of power, particularly in government, were WW2 veterans.
They had personal experience in working with all sorts of different people. People they may not have agreed with, may not have even liked.
But they had a shared goal.
And worked together to achieve that goal.

In government, while there was still a lot of disagreement, many (not all) of the leaders continued with that overall philosophy.

In the years since, the WW2 vets have died off, but have been replaced in part with vets from the Korean & Viet Nam wars.
John McCain was an excellent example of this.
He was willing to listen to, work with, and help out people who were his adversaries.
They were 'opponents', not 'enemies'. McCain had personal experience with real enemies.

We no longer have a significant number of veterans with actual 'wartime' experience. Tammy Duckworth is the only one that comes to mind.
And, while she's gone after the Trumpettes pretty hard, she's going after those who treat her as the enemy. Not those who just disagree with her.

• Like 1

(CNN)Six days after Election Day 2020, then-President Donald Trump tweeted this: "Nevada is turning out to be a cesspool of Fake Votes." He added that when the findings were released, "will be absolutely shocking!"

On Wednesday night, Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, announced that her office had found zero "evidentiary support" for claims of fraud or bias in the Silver State's 2020 election results.
"While the [Nevada Republican Party] raises policy concerns about the integrity of mail-in voting, automatic voter registration, and same-day voter registration, these concerns do not amount to evidentiary support for the contention that the 2020 general election was plagued by widespread voter fraud," wrote Cegavske in a letter to the Nevada GOP.