3 3
richardandro

Best Helmet Available

I am about to get back into skydiving after a 10-year hiatus and I need to replace my lost helmet. My past discipline was mainly belly-to-earth skydives. 

What is the best helmet available, regardless of cost. I would like for it to have, or at least easily add, 2-way communications and of course an audible altimeter.

Appreciate any suggestions. - richard

Hey Ricardo, this is gonna be an everybody has their own preferences post. That being said Cookie finally does have an impact rated helmet with the G4, I never understood why it took them all the way to the release of the G4 to put a helmet out there that would actually provide impact protection when other manufacturers have been doing so for many years, I am a bonehead guy. The brand new Bonehead helmet that just came out is really very nice. About the same cost as a G4 and less than the 500 dollars that Kiss wants for their helmet. The cool thing about the newest bonehead is the field of view. when you have it on you cannot see any of the helmet at all. You get open visiblity in all directions. It looks like an astronaut helmet. check it out it is the Bonehead Dynamic. 

• Like 1

I'm in your boat and currently considering the Cookie G4 or the Bonehead Aero. On paper the G4 eaks out a win (to me) but because of where I live I am not able to try any on. For that reason, I'm looking at the Bonehead as they offer a customizable fit out of the box.

I'm sure either one will be fine...

Tim

(edited)

Tonfly TFX, Bonehead Dynamic, Cookie G4 and the latest release is the Parasport ZX. Based on what I know, they all offer good protection and are way better than what was available 10 years ago. Like @wmw999 stated, the one that fits well and gives you full field of vision is the best one for you.

Edited by BMAC615

5 hours ago, weldingninja41 said:

and less than the 500 dollars that Kiss wants for their helmet

Not really, Kiss is $319 now (https://www.chutingstar.com/kiss-helmet) and was actually being sold (official price, brand new) at $200 I think for a few months last year.

6 hours ago, richardandro said:

add, 2-way communications and of course an audible altimeter

Most (all newer/popular ones?) helmets have pockets for audibles. As for the 2-way communications, depends on what you'll be using I guess. I use Lexin b4fm (bluetooth comm for motorcycles) which has a speaker and a microphone you can attach with the velcro. On my Cookie G3, I just routed all of the cables behind the padding and placed the speaker on the opposite side of the audible which can be done on most helmets easily I guess (helps if the padding is held by velcro so it can be easily removed and reattached). Not sure what other communication options are out there.

The TFX is a nice helmet.  With the tightness of the new impact rated helmets, the opening of the front visor makes it a little easier to get on.  You can just pull slightly at the ears to give a few millimeters more and it slides on wonderfully.  Any helmet with the impact rating is a positive in my book though because there have been too many head injuries as of late.  Actual head protection beats out any of the older non rated helmet options.

Its def. tough deciding on a helmet without trying them on. Someone may have maybe a couple different brands that are narrowed down, then prob two different sizes within each brand that you would want ot try on...

I settled on the cookie g4 before seeing any in person because I knew I wanted a impact rated helmet. Bonehead isnt impact rated from what I read on their site.  Someone from Florida I met told me that the cookie g4 is the only impact rated helmet on the market at the moment.

When I was down in florida I tried on a medium and a large cookie g4, and the large was the size I went with even tho. I was sized in the middle of the medium range according to their chart.  Its a really awesome helmet that is well built and I highly recommend the g4 to anyone.