3 3
bsrodeo540

Reserve Size Discussion (was: Fatality Western Australia 15 Mar 2021)

i see what you mean after looking again.  no, i'm too old to start trying that.  probably too old to start base jumping, one thing i wanted to do bad back when i started jumping.  had it not taken me so long to get my license, maybe.  i'll probably just jump enough to get decent for rw work.  that's enough for me.  maybe crw, that's another thing i have wanted to do for a while. 

On 8/4/2021 at 5:57 AM, sfzombie13 said:

i see what you mean after looking again.  no, i'm too old to start trying that.  probably too old to start base jumping, one thing i wanted to do bad back when i started jumping.  had it not taken me so long to get my license, maybe.  i'll probably just jump enough to get decent for rw work.  that's enough for me.  maybe crw, that's another thing i have wanted to do for a while. 

Ooh ooh ooh I just got into CRW. Do CRW!!!!

On 3/23/2021 at 5:32 AM, bsrodeo540 said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on small reserves? I get it it’s all relative and I heard an opinion that ideally reserve should be close to the size of the main, which supposedly should be easier to deal with in the event of double out, but personally I’ve been reluctant to downsize my reserve, rig specs permitting. I’m flying 105 main with a 150 reserve now, I’m a smaller dude so might consider 126 in the future, but overall my attitude is that my reserve is my last line of defense and so far I can’t justify the benefit of a smaller and slicker rig at the expense of reduced safety (i.e. spinning linetwists). I guess it also is somewhat discipline-specific?

Caution: not a rigger, nor an expert.

I mostly jump a L160 main and have a Tempo 190 reserve, which I got to land once. I have more confidence in my abilities of dealing with a two out than in my abilities of landing unconscious or otherwise incapacitated under a small reserve.

I don't fully buy into the "two out" school of thinking, especially where the mains get smaller and the models more agressive. I am really curious about how a small swooping canopy would actually behave in a two-out scenario with any type of reserve of similar size, simply due to the differences in what the canopy is intended for and consequently what I imagine to be quite large differences in flight characteristics.

It's one of these bits of wisdom "everybody" knows and passes to newer jumpers without question, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only actually true (instead of merely kind of true-ish) for either rounds or the very first types of squares, which were both big and made of F-111.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - with an explanation. :-)

• Like 1

(edited)
8 hours ago, Baksteen said:

due to the differences in what the canopy is intended for and consequently what I imagine to be quite large differences in flight characteristics.

I agree with all of that, but was wondering if I am missing something. 

On that note, I am looking for recommendations for a 'best' modern rig brand/model/size that would hold 90 crossbraced with a 143 standard reserve (not an LV)? If such combo is hard to come by, then perhaps 126 reserve? I have not done much research yet, just want to get a general feel and opinions from anyone who happen to jump a similar combo.

Edit - I am currently jumping a 105 main that packs a little bigger (maybe a 115) with a 150 old(ish) Microraven reserve. My rig is sized so that I can't go any lower on the main and my reserve fits tight, so looking to switch pretty soon to something that would give me room to downsize to a 90(ish) crossbraced with a 143/126 reserve that isn't packed too tight (but not loose either).

Edited by bsrodeo540

I personally feel its up to the jumper to have someone experienced and with knowledge to pick the reserve thats suitable for comfort and experience, I have upsized my current reserve to reflect my experience and how often i jump, I'm getting older in not as good a shape when i was younger and know that if i choose a reserve to small and crash too the ground, I'll have more of a chance of getting hurt.Choose a reserve best for your experience and not your ego. Blue Skies to all.

8 hours ago, bsrodeo540 said:

On that note, I am looking for recommendations for a 'best' modern rig brand/model/size that would hold 90 crossbraced with a 143 standard reserve (not an LV)? If such combo is hard to come by, then perhaps 126 reserve? I have not done much research yet, just want to get a general feel and opinions from anyone who happen to jump a similar combo.

Edit - I am currently jumping a 105 main that packs a little bigger (maybe a 115) with a 150 old(ish) Microraven reserve. My rig is sized so that I can't go any lower on the main and my reserve fits tight, so looking to switch pretty soon to something that would give me room to downsize to a 90(ish) crossbraced with a 143/126 reserve that isn't packed too tight (but not loose either).

The microraven has a reputation for being very sensitive to higher wingloading, with unexpected/sudden stalls slamming people on their back.  That is just my memory of forum threads from years ago, a search would confirm more details. 

1 hour ago, sundevil777 said:

The microraven has a reputation for being very sensitive to higher wingloading, with unexpected/sudden stalls slamming people on their back.  That is just my memory of forum threads from years ago, a search would confirm more details. 

Yep.  I watched a few just plain fold up during the flare.  Fortunately they are rare nowadays, and there are much better reserves that pack into even smaller volumes per square foot.

10 hours ago, bsrodeo540 said:

On that note, I am looking for recommendations for a 'best' modern rig brand/model/size that would hold 90 crossbraced with a 143 standard reserve (not an LV)?

Consider the Mirage M1Z-1/2.  Suggested canopies include the PD-143R optimum and the Velocity 79.

I have a Mirage M1Z with a PD143R optimum and a Safire 2 129.  Main is a little tight but it works well.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 8:28 PM, bsrodeo540 said:

I jump a UPT Vector Micron V319. I've got a Leia 84 and a speed 150 packed inside it. Both canopies fit nicely inside the container. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 6:24 PM, piisfish said:

This is one of my top 2 worse gear choice decisions (not the PDR, it is a great canopy, just the size. And the colour. I got a nice light blue canopy. Afterwords I thought I should have gotten a bright pink)

Around this part of the country, when students get close to buying gear, they are encouraged to get a white reserve for three reasons:

1. When someone sees a white canopy, they notify everyone so they can keep an eye on them. 

2. Other skydivers under canopy will steer even more clear.

3. Manufacturers usually have white ones in stock. 

On 9/20/2021 at 8:13 AM, BIGUN said:

Around this part of the country, when students get close to buying gear, they are encouraged to get a white reserve for three reasons:

1. When someone sees a white canopy, they notify everyone so they can keep an eye on them. 

2. Other skydivers under canopy will steer even more clear.

3. Manufacturers usually have white ones in stock. 

4. They tend to pack slightly smaller IMHO.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:13 AM, BIGUN said:

...1. When someone sees a white canopy, they notify everyone so they can keep an eye on them...

My experience is that reserves are generally (not always) solid white or light blue.

Very few people jump solid color mains.

It tends to make them more noticeable.

Of course, I know a jumper who has a solid white main.

Yes, it tends to attract attention.
Jumpers new to the DZ commonly ask if 'Did he have a cutaway?' 
We give him a fair amount of shit about it.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

My experience is that reserves are generally (not always) solid white or light blue.

Very few people jump solid color mains.

It tends to make them more noticeable.

Of course, I know a jumper who has a solid white main.

Yes, it tends to attract attention.
Jumpers new to the DZ commonly ask if 'Did he have a cutaway?' 
We give him a fair amount of shit about it.

There's an all-white Lightning with retracting PC I see a lot.