5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

It's not just appalling, it's demoralizing. Kids. 7-10 year old kids celebrating their school year accomplishments killed while huddling in terror. I ask everyone here what that is worth to you.  What if giving up your AR-15's and Glocks and your only good for shooting trees guns for registration was enough to stop the massacre of school kids, would you do it?

Agree. There is a chasm of thought in America alone. White males like Brent and Alex think only of themselves.And its exclusively white males. If the constitution and their upbringing codified drunkenness. They would be drunk 24/7.

Its not as if they are banned from shooting sports or hunting. But that their American and personal identity puts guns as a core component as to who they are. They refuse to admit that.

Personal protection, constitution, rights, etc. are all just the memes that they are brought up with. The country, "America" is just a phrase. Even for someone like Brent that has served in the military. Its not about what is best for the country. Best to make America the greatest and best. To protect the weak, young and vurnable in America. Its I must have my Glock and my Ar-15.

Its sad.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

White males like Brent and Alex think only of themselves.And its exclusively white males.

Maybe when it comes to gun rights; the whole "I'm in charge" thing is a very male thing -- it's just that in American (and much of the world) society, what you can be in charge of is largely driven by the institutional structure, and in the US, that's mostly white. But how often do you hear about machismo, or "rap bad boys?" I think that the desire to dominate is in some part biological, exacerbated by testosterone and socialization (exacerbated is carefully-chosen word in an increasingly crowded society that frowns on simply eliminating your opponents). So the other-racial-group manifestations tend to be within subgroups, or families, because then there is a possibility of domination.

Women aren't immune to me-firstism either, but they've had, as a rule, precious little opportunity to exercise it outside the home. For awhile, that might make female leadership desirable, as cooperation seems to increase then. However, give it a couple of millenia, and I'm sure that folks can change that.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yoink said:

Why does the barrel look bent?

To match her mindset. I've read three sources this morning reporting that the good guys with guns stood around paralyzed with fear for 40 minutes while Ramos was murdering kids in a classroom. Worse, the barricaded door was actually just a locked door and instead of busting it open they waited for the key. Of course, all of our heroes here on SC would have led the charge, shot open the lock, and also have been first through the breach blasting away with their AR-15's and Glocks.

18 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Of course, all of our heroes here on SC would have led the charge, shot open the lock, and also have been first through the breach blasting away with their AR-15's and Glocks.

And when it didn't work out quite that way, would have explained 'no one could have possibly forseen that it wouldn't work out that way!  But the important thing is that those kids were killed by someone who cared about protecting them, and not some random psychopath."

Fact is that nothing will happen beyond thoughts, prayers and hand wringing, because a minority party is in control of the Senate simply on account of a historic sop to slaveowners over 200 years ago, and that minority party is beholden to the gun lobby.

20 minutes ago, kallend said:

Fact is that nothing will happen beyond thoughts, prayers and hand wringing, because a minority party is in control of the Senate simply on account of a historic sop to slaveowners over 200 years ago, and that minority party is beholden to the gun lobby.

Well if it is up to Ted Cruz they would start building schools with only 1 door. That is what the Republican brain thrust can come up with, buildings with hundreds of people with 1 way in and out.......

16 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Well if it is up to Ted Cruz they would start building schools with only 1 door. That is what the Republican brain thrust can come up with, buildings with hundreds of people with 1 way in and out.......

Hi Sky,

For a short period in my life, I was a local firefighter.  I can assure you that once again the GOP has come up with a very stupid solution.  They are getting real good at it.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

So that would imply that he thinks that a fire is less likely than a shooter. Man that's an awful world he lives in.

Wendy P.

Just now, wmw999 said:

So that would imply that he thinks that a fire is less likely than a shooter. Man that's an awful world he lives in.

Wendy P.

I think it implies that all he needs to do is provide his constituents a stupid talking point so they don't have to feel guilty voting for him again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

So that would imply that he thinks . . . 

That might be an unwarranted assumption.  I think some politicians operate like Trump did - they have sort of a basic instinct of what "their people" want to hear, and that's what comes out of their mouths without much additional processing.  So that comment on a single door is probably something that checked all the boxes for his instinct - it's a fast answer, it sounds smart if you don't think about it, it diverts the discussion away from guns, and his supporters can focus on that instead of the issue of gun violence.  Look for a walkback in a few days, along the lines of "I didn't mean that .. . ." and "look, guns don't kill people  . . ." and "it's all that CRT that they are teaching that makes kids want to kill."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yoink said:

Because of the way the action works.

The barrel shifts back and the back of it (firing chamber) goes down just a bit when it's fired (it's called 'delayed blowback' if you care).
So it's actually tipped up just a little bit in the front when the slide is back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billvon said:

And when it didn't work out quite that way, would have explained 'no one could have possibly forseen that it wouldn't work out that way!  But the important thing is that those kids were killed by someone who cared about protecting them, and not some random psychopath."

Here they are: Ulvade's finest. All dressed up with nowhere to go, especially to school shootings. Absolutely ridiculous and nothing more than a reflection of our absurd culture of gun idolatry. I don't care if we defund the police but for damn sure we need to defang them. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 3.02.14 PM.png

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Well, I guess it’s better that the gunman killed everyone and then himself, saving them the trauma of making a decision and maybe being wrong.

Wendy P. 

As I see it they did make a decision and they were very wrong. What's the point of having police armed to the teeth like Delta Force Commando's if they're going to diddle around like Andy of Mayberry? Maybe they shouldn't have kicked in the door but if that's what we can expect they should ditch the guns and military gear and set a better, more peaceful, example.

8 hours ago, yoink said:

The front of the barrel is locked in place by the slide. As the slide recoils back to chamber a new round and eject the spent brass. The end of the barrel is unsupported. When the new round is chambered the slide will move fully forward so the end of the barrel is fully supported and locked into place by the slide. Its locked at the back where the chamber is by the frame itself. The front by the slide.

11 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

As I see it they did make a decision and they were very wrong. What's the point of having police armed to the teeth like Delta Force Commando's if they're going to diddle around like Andy of Mayberry? Maybe they shouldn't have kicked in the door but if that's what we can expect they should ditch the guns and military gear and set a better, more peaceful, example.

That really pissed me off when the Columbine Colorado shooting happened. The cops arrived and had to wait for others to gather to enter the high school. Because entering as a group was the procedure. I'm sure I posted something in these forums about how pissed I was. Subsequently the procedure was changed and it became. Get to and engage the shooter ASAP to prevent the shooters ongoing actions.

Then there was a shooting at a Florida school where some cowardly cop refused to enter the school. He subsequently was fired for cowardice.

Wait I have a vision...... Republicans have acted on school gun violence. They have put bars on all the windows. To keep out intruders. Only one solid steel bulletproof door. To keep out assailants.

Now the cops will have to call a locksmith to open the school door. While the shooter does what he does. The cops go for donuts while waiting for the locksmith.

5 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Subsequently the procedure was changed and it became. Get to and engage the shooter ASAP to prevent the shooters ongoing actions.

Ah, see the cops misunderstood. They thought the new procedure was go in to get their own children out and then prevent other parents from doing the same.

Then engage the shooter by asking kids in the room to yell for help so the shooter can....engage them.

7 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

Wait until you hear him talk at the NRA convention this weekend.  We'll get a peek into that awful world.