5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

2 hours ago, lippy said:

That's your response to a post about a shooting that involved an injured cop...You have a 'back the blue' sticker on the back of your truck?

For a lot of people that has nothing to do with supporting cops.  It has to do with showing allegiance to their political party.

Only in the US is it so easy for a loony to get a gun.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/30/us/white-house-hit-list-kuachua-brillion-xiong.html

"In an email on Thursday, Mike Maloney, a lawyer for Mr. Xiong, declined to comment on the case.

According to court records, Mr. Maloney has signaled his intent to use an insanity defense in his client’s trial."

And another sacrifice:

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/north-carolina-child-dies-following-accidental-shooting-on-christmas-day/

When [3 year old] Aylee climbed into the truck, there was a gun someone left in there and Aylee accidentally shot herself in the head. The father said he did not know the gun was in the truck.

The first time we moved to Brazil was 1960. My father still had his service revolver from WW2, and asked the local police chief how to take it down there to protect his family. 

The chief asked him how often he practiced, and how familiar he stayed with it. When advised honestly (never, and not very), the chief told him to get rid of it, because it was far more likely to hurt someone in the family than out of it. Dad figured that was good advice, and never regretted the decision. 
Wendy P. 

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

The first time we moved to Brazil was 1960. My father still had his service revolver from WW2, and asked the local police chief how to take it down there to protect his family. 

The chief asked him how often he practiced, and how familiar he stayed with it. When advised honestly (never, and not very), the chief told him to get rid of it, because it was far more likely to hurt someone in the family than out of it. Dad figured that was good advice, and never regretted the decision. 
Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

And to follow that post:  Here’s how many firearms were seized at airport checkpoints this year; 85% were loaded - oregonlive.com

Now, what was it Forrest Gump said?

Jerry Baumchen

It will be interesting to follow this DOJ effort. Hopefully items easier to use than the cable locks that are threaded through the gun become available. It's been my experience that gun storage and safety devices are not spoken about or encouraged by dealers. Unfortunately, I doubt that this action will have much impact on lowering firearm deaths. It would prevent the, "3-year old dies playing with gun, and 5-year old shoots brother", tragedies. Some is better than none.

https://www.ntd.com/doj-announces-new-rule-to-help-enhance-safe-and-secure-storage-of-firearms_723050.html

29 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Some is better than none.

I can tell you as a former FFL - they will not look at it as an opportunity to educate. They will take it as, "I'm not the government's police department" or some other form of not my job.    

15 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

I am somewhat hopeful.

It'll never work, Jerry - Most believe in a God. And, we all know that those who believe in God are idiots for looking up to a sky wizard. No way a bunch of idiots can turn things around. 

Lift Every Voice Oregon (LEVO) is a coalition of faith-based communities: Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, and other people of goodwill. Our grassroots organization, run primarily by volunteers, is advocating for safer schools, houses of worship, and communities. We now number in the thousands from all over the state in our shared commitment to challenging the status quo as we work towards this important goal. Our voice has been heard by people throughout the state as we push to reduce gun violence in Oregon and the nation.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

It'll never work, Jerry - Most believe in a God. And, we all know that those who believe in God are idiots for looking up to a sky wizard. No way a bunch of idiots can turn things around. 

Besides, they are all on the Liberal west coast side of the state. REAL Oregonians want to breakaway and join Idaho in a union of freedom from all of that. 

And yes, it sure must suck to be a believer. It's hard to live with such a strong persecution complex. Everywhere around you if you try to talk to people about your beliefs you just get laughed at. I'll tell you what, when they STFU maybe we will too. We are as tired of the proselyting as you are tired of us laughing at them. I can not drive down the freaking interstate without being told over and over that that I am going to spend eternity burning in hell. So maybe that could help you understand that here in SC people take the chance to push back.

46 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I'll tell you what, when they STFU maybe we will too. We are as tired of the proselyting as you are tired of us laughing at them. I can not drive down the freaking interstate without being told over and over that that I am going to spend eternity burning in hell.

I can totally see you driving through the Bible Belt talking shit and everyone shouting 'go to hell' in their CB radios, lol.

51 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

So maybe that could help you understand that here in SC people take the chance to push back.

But the people here have nothing to do with that, push back on those that are actually telling you to go to hell on their CB radio rather than taking it out on everyone else that's not.

Besides everyone justifies their own evil with some excuse about how they've been wronged.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I can totally see you driving through the Bible Belt talking shit and everyone shouting 'go to hell' in their CB radios, lol.

You don't have to be in the bible belt, as you well know. I no longer even have a CB radio. 

33 minutes ago, Coreece said:

But the people here have nothing to do with that, push back on those that are actually telling you to go to hell on their CB radio rather than taking it out on everyone else that's not.

But that would be rude. The push back that some engage in here is mostly push back toward those who come here to complain that their word is changing. My feeling is that it is not changing nearly fast enough, but at least it is changing. Religion and politics are tied in an unholy knot and that bodes ill for all of us. 

32 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

But that would be rude.

So It's rude to push back against the ones actually telling you to go to hell, so you push back against the ones that aren't?

37 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The push back that some engage in here is mostly push back toward those who come here to complain that their word is changing.

Most of the time it's just people complaining about stories they see in their news feeds and coming in here to find a villain to pin it on.  Just like Phil when he was going on about Winsor being scared of them taking his bibles, lol.

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Coreece said:

So It's rude to push back against the ones actually telling you to go to hell, so you push back against the ones that aren't?

Yup, I don't want to get shot by some raging American zealot in a parking lot. Much safer to let it all hang out here.

Edited by gowlerk

People telling me to go to Hell don't bother me, since I don't believe there is such a place except in their minds.

People influencing social/political policy that directly affects me or mine, on account of their religious beliefs, are the ones that I strongly dislike.

8 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
11 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Yup, I don't want to get shot by some raging American zealot in a parking lot. Much safer to let it all hang out here.

So I guess we're back to the thugs in chicago analogy again.

35 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
37 minutes ago, Coreece said:

At the same time, it shouldn't be ignored that specifying things like this does help provide some context and perspective of where you're coming from.

42 minutes ago, kallend said:

People telling me to go to Hell don't bother me

How often does THAT happen?  :)

43 minutes ago, kallend said:

People influencing social/political policy that directly affects me or mine, on account of their religious beliefs, are the ones that I strongly dislike.

You do realize that most of the world influences social/political policy based on their religious beliefs. And, given that about 85% of the world has some form of faith; I can't help but wonder if they are concerned about people with a lack of faith influencing social/political policy.  

• Like 1