5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

39 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Birds? Which ones, Sparrow's, Cardinals? An adult shooting birds with a pellet gun sounds like a sick fuck to me.

Squirrel, Prairie dog, Pheasant, Rabbit, Groundhog, Turkey, etc. It's actually more sporting than using a shotgun. 

Well it could have been a very high end air rifle or CO2 rifle using slugs. Here is a more detailed version.

It appears as if the projectile went through a double wall vinyl fence before striking the child..Most high powered .22 cal air rifles top out at 900 f.p.s. with a 10 grain pellet.  Which in countries other than the US would likely require a firearms license.

Hopefully the parents will sue his dumb ass off.

8 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Well it could have been a very high end air rifle or CO2 rifle using slugs. Here is a more detailed version.

It appears as if the projectile went through a double wall vinyl fence before striking the child..Most high powered .22 cal air rifles top out at 900 f.p.s. with a 10 grain pellet.  Which in countries other than the US would likely require a firearms license.

Morning, Phil.

Not quite sure what you're trying to get to, but the .22 cal air rifle round is actually .177 and does weigh about 10 grain with a 700-900 f.p.s. Conversely, the actual .22 cal round tops at 40 grain, with a 1260 f.p.s. At 25 yards, the air rifle round can go thru a piece of tin.

At fifty yards, not so much given the light weight and drop. If it had been a full .22 cal - different story with a max effective range of 150 yards and a significant drop after that. 

The good news is the child is expected to make a full recovery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Squirrel, Prairie dog, Pheasant, Rabbit, Groundhog, Turkey, etc. It's actually more sporting than using a shotgun. 

People see things differently, and regionally, but in my neck of the woods squirrels, prairie dogs, rabbits, and ground hogs aren't often thought of as birds and anyone who would shoot a pheasant or a turkey with a .22 pellet gun is not only a sick fuck but his friends are assholes.

2 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

People see things differently, and regionally, but in my neck of the woods squirrels, prairie dogs, rabbits, and ground hogs aren't often thought of as birds and anyone who would shoot a pheasant or a turkey with a .22 pellet gun is not only a sick fuck but his friends are assholes.

After moving from central FL to the mountains in western NC, my views on varmints has changed considerably.

Trash pandas, feral cats, Texas speed bumps, and recently a 7 ft tall (when standing) bear are pretty regular visitors. A pop with a pellet or BB tends to make them shy away from future visits.

It did take a some rather lengthy discussions with some locals here before I started pinging, but I now have a source for free farm fresh eggs! Still getting Skymama used to not refrigerating or washing the eggs.

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

More sporting if wounded small animals is the goal of your sport.

See. You're catching on. The goal isn't to wound them; it's to kill them. Ya know. To Eat. Not everything comes in saran wrapped packages at your grocery store. And, there's still a lot of folks that need to hunt to feed their families. What do have against poor country folk? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

See. You're catching on. The goal isn't to wound them; it's to kill them. Ya know. To Eat. Not everything comes in saran wrapped packages at your grocery store. And, there's still a lot of folks that need to hunt to feed their families. What do have against poor country folk? 

Nothin. Let then eat squirrel!

45 minutes ago, normiss said:

After moving from central FL to the mountains in western NC, my views on varmints has changed considerably.

Trash pandas, feral cats, Texas speed bumps, and recently a 7 ft tall (when standing) bear are pretty regular visitors. A pop with a pellet or BB tends to make them shy away from future visits.

It did take a some rather lengthy discussions with some locals here before I started pinging, but I now have a source for free farm fresh eggs! Still getting Skymama used to not refrigerating or washing the eggs.

All fine and good but the fine fellow was exercising his second amendment rights by shooting birds for shits and giggles not killing varmints like feral cats, which are also sick fuck assholes that like killing birds for fun.

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

AWESOME!!!

I'll let my asshole friends know you're OK with it. 

What I am less okay with is ineffective pellets leaving wounded animals to crawl off and lick their wounds. You have to kill them before you can eat them and pellets just don't do the job all that well.

(edited)
5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Morning, Phil.

Not quite sure what you're trying to get to, but the .22 cal air rifle round is actually .177 and does weigh about 10 grain with a 700-900 f.p.s. Conversely, the actual .22 cal round tops at 40 grain, with a 1260 f.p.s. At 25 yards, the air rifle round can go thru a piece of tin.

At fifty yards, not so much given the light weight and drop. If it had been a full .22 cal - different story with a max effective range of 150 yards and a significant drop after that. 

The good news is the child is expected to make a full recovery. 

I assume you're talking about PCP air rifles because a springer1250 fps(muzzle) rated with a 14 grain pellets then loaded with a 40 grain slug won't do over 925 fps. I don't have any personal experience with PCP air rifles.

I'd disagree with the first sentence.Break action springer air rifles are more than 85% of all air rifles sold. There are .177 cal air rifles and .22 cal.  I've had two break action .177 and they use .177 cal pellets. While the .22 use 22 cal pellets. The Weihrauch springer .177 that i currently own is fairly high power and will bury a 12 grain pellet in a solid ash board(1000 fps at muzzle). At 60 yards the same pellet will bounce off that same ash board.

Cabelas air rifle pellets.

Edited by Phil1111

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

What I am less okay with is ineffective pellets leaving wounded animals to crawl off and lick their wounds. You have to kill them before you can eat them and pellets just don't do the job all that well.

Hi Ken,

And, here is one reason for not doing so:  Man shoots bear; a day later, the same bear attacks the man (msn.com)

Jerry Baumchen

5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

That is an on-going controversy with Canadian gun laws.

We have a a huge split between city slickers and natives who live off the land.

Few Canadian city slickers have any need to own a gun beyond plinking at the range.

OTOH many natives have always been poor and they live beyond range of a grocery store, so depend upon hunting and fishing to feed their families. Natives tend to not waste ammo since it is expensive. The latest version of Bill C.21 (currently under review by the Senate) proposes prohibiting a variety of military rifles. I agree that most of those rifles serve little sporting purpose. The prat that I do not understand is their proposal to ban SKS carbines (ballistically equivalent to an AR-15 or AK-47) because those SKs are preferred by native hunters. At less than $500 Canadian, a native hunter can purchase an SKS (7.62 x 39mm Commblock) for half or 1/3 the price of a .303 (equal to NATO 7.62 X 51mm). Natives need to modify (trap door) magazines to limit them to 5 rounds ... to conform to the old version of Canadian laws.

???????????

Remind me to write a letter to my senator(s).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

OK. Now, I'm tracking.

Rule #1 - You kill it. You eat it. 

Bingo. There are countries I've traveled where if it creeps, crawls, swims, or flys it goes in the pot regardless of it's age or the time of years. America isn't one of those countries, last I checked. On the other hand, we are a country where we've learned that folks with indifference to animal life need to be closely watched.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I don't have any personal experience with PCP air rifles.

I'd disagree with the first sentence.Break action springer

I was trying to do a comparison between the pellet gun and the actual 22 lr and obviously missed the mark.