5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

9 hours ago, timski said:

What other country can compare??? NONE. So we agree that the gun is an easy tool to get, use and abuse. Our unique issue is the NUMBER of said guns (and the second...). They aren't going away, EVER. So I'd suggest some serious thought on how best to control violent PEOPLE, and not how to get rid of the gun. 

If you're saying the prevalence of guns is uniquely ours, I'm not sure, but it's hard to quantify. But that fact is the fault of the American people, along with the manipulation of the NRA and the gun manufacturers (who are just thrilled whenever there's something, anything, that their marketing arm, the NRA, can hang a fear-based ad campaign on).

That doesn't say much for the American people, does it?

Wendy P.

(edited)
9 hours ago, jakee said:

So it’d be wrong to look at any other country like Israel, for instance, and assume you can use their solutions?

Not at all.

USA 120 guns per 100 people

Israel 7 guns per 100 people

Above would be a good place to start with your solutions.

Edited by SkyDekker

On 5/17/2023 at 10:00 PM, JoeWeber said:

Just to clarify, you equate your guns with freedom, right? Are your kids just a downstream benefit?

WE don't discuss my family life like that, agreed? And no, I'm the last guy who feels like he "needs" any firearms to thrive. They sure do make getting meat easier though... 

On 5/18/2023 at 1:57 AM, jakee said:

So it’d be wrong to look at any other country like Israel, for instance, and assume you can use their solutions?

We've quoted that countries succusses. So yes, please do. You can try and pick me apart all you like. You know I'm right. ¬¬

On 5/17/2023 at 11:23 PM, billvon said:

Australia's pretty similar.

Do you honestly think that good old American patriots will turn up in droves to turn in their weapons??? even if you pay double the value???  Come on Bill, try harder. 

27 minutes ago, timski said:

WE don't discuss my family life like that, agreed? And no, I'm the last guy who feels like he "needs" any firearms to thrive. They sure do make getting meat easier though... 

Relax and read what you wrote. You put your kids second to your freedom/guns, not me. I simply pointed out that you did so.

2 hours ago, timski said:

Do you honestly think that good old American patriots will turn up in droves to turn in their weapons??? even if you pay double the value???  

Many would indeed do that. Obviously not all, and not the ones making all the sound and fury.

3 hours ago, timski said:

We've quoted that countries succusses.

Many countries have been successful in tackling gun crime and mass shootings. Have you changed your mind on whether those can be compared?

You can try and pick me apart all you like. You know I'm right. 

What a great example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, timski said:

Do you honestly think that good old American patriots will turn up in droves to turn in their weapons??? even if you pay double the value???  Come on Bill, try harder. 

Do you honestly believe that only gun hugging, pry my cold dead fingers off my AR-15 folks, are capable of being "good old American patriots"? It's you who needs to try harder, a whole lot harder.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, timski said:

You said that no other county can compare to us.  Australia can, in many ways.  And no, the farthest right "gummint wants to take mah guns to make me gay"  types will not give up their gun, just as the most extreme gun nuts in Australia refused.  

But if you can reduce the problem by, say, 80% - then we can duplicate at least part of Australia's success.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Commonly suggested but how can it be done without a congressional vote? 

Gun buying is up. Gun seizures are up. Gun arrests are up. Gun injuries are up. Gun deaths are up.

Will Congress eventually get the message?

20 minutes ago, kallend said:

Gun buying is up. Gun seizures are up. Gun arrests are up. Gun injuries are up. Gun deaths are up.

Sure, loud and clear: vote for gun or ammunition controls and the money and votes will stop. Funny how in our not too distant past we were able to get under control Tommy Guns and others war weapons like Clyde Barrow's sawed off Browning Automatic Rifle with the modified 40 round clip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kallend said:

It's been said here already, a few more Pelosi type attacks, but this time, stage some guns, or who knows, actually use them in the act... You know, it takes the right people to be directly effected, to effect change. Very American by the way...   

Controlling ammo is the smartest thing you've said on the topic of "change".  

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Like the attack on Steve Scalise? Or Gabby Giffords?

Wendy P. 

single targets. Both You and Joe are thinking small time. Although Joe, Ronnie was somebody!

Come on you two, clearly the "problem" is high capacity assault weapon type of MASS shootings... 

Seriously though, this topic is like whipping Mr Ed.   

In the end, the only thing that will CERTAINLY end this issue, is time. (a really long one)

May I "sarcastically" repeat a suggestion by a black American stand-up comedian?

He suggested making ammunition ridiculously expensive. That might encourage gang-bangers to use their pistol sights. They also might limit the number of bullets fired during any "disagreement." Finally, they might walk up to a shooting victim and demand "You got something of mine" and extract the bullet.

Perhaps if gov'ts imposed a "sin tax" on bullets the same way that they impose "sin taxes" on cigarettes and alcohol ... bullets would be prohibitively expensive for mere citizens.

But it would still take a few decades of rifle range practice before existing stocks of ammo would fall to the "scarce" level. All good gun owners practice every week at the rifle range .. don't they?

On a serious, personal note, I used to own rifles, even a Chinese-made assault rifle (5.56mm) but sold my guns when I could no longer afford to practice at the rifle range on a regular basis.

Hi folks,

Slowly, but surely, we are making some progress:  "You only need one or two lawsuits to win to transform the whole industry,"

Federal law protects firearms industry from lawsuits. Uvalde parents test limits : NPR

If we can keep up the pressure through these lawsuits, hopefully, we will change this country.  I know it is a slim hope, but it is better than the continual slaughter.

Jerry Baumchen