5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

6 hours ago, normiss said:

Why are you speaking in past tense?

On some DZs that is still the present tense. Some skydivers never mature and never grow beyond the recreational drugs that they consumed as teenagers or in their twenties.

Back in my twenties, I developed an addiction to caffeine and have never been able to shake that addiction. The only difference now is that I drink my last cup of coffee before 13:00 in order to allow it filter out of my system and get a decent night's sleep.

Back during my twenties I also smoked a little marijuana, tried hashish, tried speed, etc. but my only lasting drug problem was alcohol. Eventually I automatically picked up a beer every day at sunset. I knew that alcohol was aggravating my insomnia, but it had become a bad habit that was difficult to control. Eventually I was forced to decide between drinking with the boys on Friday evening versus getting up early enough to catch the first load Saturday morning. The first decision was admitting that I could only have one of those pleasures. I decided that the first load was more important and that decision helped me maintain a full-time skydiving career for 18 years. I have been sober for 26 years now. Every time I consider drinking again, I remember the three day long hangovers the last year that I drank.

Sorry boys, but Ihave more important things to do than drink beers with you.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, timski said:

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/farmington-new-mexico-shooting-05-16-23/index.html

BAD guy, suffers INSTANT justice at the hands of law enforcement.

Yes, it is so wonderful that mass shooters can be stopped so efficiently. And usually before more than 5 or so innocents are dead. It's a wonderful world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, it is so wonderful that mass shooters can be stopped so efficiently. And usually before more than 5 or so innocents are dead. It's a wonderful world.

Let's dig deeper, a young person with "problems" who had EASY access to firearms. So who's to blame here? Crucify the gun owners who fail to secure their firearms.  

*suggestion: ALL law biding citizens with properly registered weapons are subject to unannounced visits from state troopers for "spot checks". I mean, what do you have to hide??? 

2 hours ago, timski said:

*suggestion: ALL law biding citizens with properly registered weapons are subject to unannounced visits from state troopers for "spot checks". I mean, what do you have to hide??? 

If you like.

I prefer more straightforward approaches.  If a gun sold to you is ever used in a crime, or accidental shooting, you go to jail for ten years period.  No exceptions.  That way no responsible, law abiding gun owners are affected - but the irresponsible gun owners are very, very afraid.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, timski said:

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/farmington-new-mexico-shooting-05-16-23/index.html

BAD guy, suffers INSTANT justice at the hands of law enforcement.

3 dead.
Six wounded, including a cop.

The shooter fired off somewhere around 150 rounds before being stopped.

Apparently you have a slightly different definition of the word 'instant' than I do.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, timski said:

Let's dig deeper, a young person with "problems" who had EASY access to firearms. So who's to blame here? Crucify the gun owners who fail to secure their firearms.  

Lots of young people have "problems" in Canada, Australia, UK, Germany, Japan, NZ, France, Netherlands, Sweden, etc.

Only in those countries they don't have easy access to killing machines, which is why the USA has a far higher murder rate than any other wealthy nation.

The problem isn't mental health, the problem is the gun.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, billvon said:

If you like.

I prefer more straightforward approaches.  If a gun sold to you is ever used in a crime, or accidental shooting, you go to jail for ten years period.  No exceptions.  That way no responsible, law abiding gun owners are affected - but the irresponsible gun owners are very, very afraid.

Dear Bill,

Would you cut gun owners any slack if they promptly reported a gun stolen from them?

9 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Dear Bill,

Would you cut gun owners any slack if they promptly reported a gun stolen from them?

Good question.  I'd cut the sentence by half if the gun is used in a crime (so as to not deter reporting.)

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Good question.  I'd cut the sentence by half if the gun is used in a crime (so as to not deter reporting.)

Good point Bill.

A mandatory minimum jail sentence would also encourage gun-owners to invest in serious trigger locks and steel gun safes.

A trigger lock being waaaaaay cheaper than bail.

In Texas (of course) a 12 year old just murdered a Sonic employee with an AR-15.  His father was peeing in the parking lot, and a Sonic employee came out to tell him to stop.  A fight ensued and the 12 year old fired several times at the employee.

Can't wait for Ted Cruz to defend the 12 year old as a model for all young children, protecting their families from violent thugs.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/keene-sonic-worker-killed-by-12-year-old-with-ar-15-rifle-police-say

23 minutes ago, billvon said:

In Texas (of course) a 12 year old just murdered a Sonic employee with an AR-15.  His father was peeing in the parking lot, and a Sonic employee came out to tell him to stop.  A fight ensued and the 12 year old fired several times at the employee.

Can't wait for Ted Cruz to defend the 12 year old as a model for all young children, protecting their families from violent thugs.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/keene-sonic-worker-killed-by-12-year-old-with-ar-15-rifle-police-say

"An armed society is a polite society".

Except in the USA.

20 minutes ago, kallend said:

"An armed society is a polite society".

Except in the USA.

An armed society is one where those who get the first shot in have the best chance of living. Maybe the death penalty is needed in the USA to force a higher level of politeness. 

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

An armed society is one where those who get the first shot in have the best chance of living. Maybe the death penalty is needed in the USA to force a higher level of politeness. 

Hi Ken,

Reminds me of the old saying:  'I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.'

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
14 hours ago, billvon said:

If you like.

Hi Bill,

This morning, I was reading a newspaper article on 'fear' in gun owners.  Here is a similar article:  Opinion | A Gun-Filled America Is a World of Fear and Alienation - Silk-News.com

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  As I have posted before; I bought a gun when I was 13 yrs old ( summer of 1954 ).  I had it for a few years, don't remember how or when I got rid of it.  It is/was the only gun I have ever owned.  I do not live in fear.  I will not allow myself to do so.

Edited by JerryBaumchen

This desire to "harden soft targets" is surreal. Some Americans are willing to live their lives like that by choice. Live like the Israelis have had to do. Not because of ongoing threats by an oppressed tribe, but merely so they don't have to give up the thrill and enjoyment of holding and playing with the tools of war. Living with a potential threat that can come from any direction at any moment. It sounds like a very imaginative work of fiction yet it is daily life for no good reason. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, billvon said:

If you like.

100% agree. I back this! I also keep my firearms in a safe, because, I love my freedom AND my children. 

11 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

3 dead.
Six wounded, including a cop.

The shooter fired off somewhere around 150 rounds before being stopped.

Apparently you have a slightly different definition of the word 'instant' than I do.

I was referring to the single round from Officer friendly....   

11 hours ago, kallend said:

Lots of young people have "problems" in Canada, Australia, UK, Germany, Japan, NZ, France, Netherlands, Sweden, etc.

Only in those countries they don't have easy access to killing machines, which is why the USA has a far higher murder rate than any other wealthy nation.

The problem isn't mental health, the problem is the gun.

That's VERY single minded, coming from an educated man. All I see getting thrown around here is comparison. I stand behind what I say when I say "Our problem is uniquely OURS. 

What other country can compare??? NONE. So we agree that the gun is an easy tool to get, use and abuse. Our unique issue is the NUMBER of said guns (and the second...). They aren't going away, EVER. So I'd suggest some serious thought on how best to control violent PEOPLE, and not how to get rid of the gun. 

Can we talk about "world history"? Because we sure do have A LOT of violence to discuss here. And you wonder how people find it so easy to do the "evil" that they do.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, timski said:

Our unique issue is the NUMBER of said guns (and the second...). They aren't going away, EVER.

This is incorrect. The death toll will eventually begin to affect the lives of the elites and they will force change. The 2nd only seems sacred. And we all know that SCOTUS can change its mind on interpretation of the meaning of the constitution.  

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

This is incorrect. The death toll will eventually begin to affect the lives of the elites and they will force change. The 2nd only seems sacred. And we all know that SCOTUS can change its mind on interpretation of the meaning of the constitution.  

Hi Ken,

IMO this is what it will take.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
1 hour ago, timski said:

100% agree. I back this! I also keep my firearms in a safe, because, I love my freedom AND my children. 

Just to clarify, you equate your guns with freedom, right? Are your kids just a downstream benefit?

Edited by JoeWeber