5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Bigun's proposal makes sense. If nothing else, calling it "responsibility" will get buy-in from some people who see it as a people issue, and not a gun issue -- and what's needed is buy-in for anything to happen.

It does make sense and if it could be implemented it would help somewhat. However the ever beloved 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the USA is fairly clearly written. I don't think that SCOTUS has interpreted it incorrectly at all. Until the political climate changes enough to allow some sort of adjustment to the constitution his proposal is really not possible. And that does not even begin to touch on the fact that his proposal relies on people being responsible. There are already many laws against shooting other people in anger or desperation. People are still going to be people and if they have what they see as the tool needed to carry out their desire right there beside them a small number of them are going to commit atrocious crimes. It truly is a small number, but it has a big effect. Again, the only answer is less guns, there is no way around that simple fact. 

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kallend said:

The state  does not have a law banning high-capacity magazines or any restrictions on "assault" style weapons.

It's almost as if they WANT events like this to happen.

California has both and it does nothing to stop these tragic events.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiKps7Yif_9AhXHElkFHaEcBdgQFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Fcalifornia%2Fstory%2F2023-01-24%2Fgun-monterey-park-massacre-an-assault-weapon-state-law-known-to-jam&usg=AOvVaw1nqDpL69Y0ME6NoB1JH8vi

(edited)
3 hours ago, kallend said:

...The state  does not have a law banning high-capacity magazines or any restrictions on "assault" style weapons.

It's almost as if they WANT events like this to happen.

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

California has both and obviously must do more to stop these tragic events.

FIFY

If the ATF background checks made on every gun buyer. Were the same ones done to buy a fully automatic weapon and silencer. i.e. machine gun and suppressor. These types of acts by those checked would most likely be eliminated.

The problem of 400 million guns will still be an issue.

Edited by Phil1111

(edited)
7 hours ago, winsor said:

There is a distinct correlation between severely fucked up people and 'gun violence.'

If that is the case then Americans have to significantly more fucked up than most other people around the world. Does hat make sense to you, that Americans just aren't mentally as strong as the rest of the world? Or, could it be that Occam's Razor would suggest that maybe something as simple as the easy availability of firearms has an impact on the use of firearms?

Edited by SkyDekker
than to then
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Children and teachers die in a tragic school shooting and Biden makes jokes about ice cream?  WTF Brandon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHGUKzFDh-c

Weird, cause he is actually suggesting legislation to try and stop these mass shootings. Republicans like you are only offering thoughts and prayers. How many thoughts and prayers until they work to reduce some of these mass shootings?

I couldn’t even fully process it,” Beasley said. “What do you say? Because only in America can you survive a mass shooting and go and make a friend who is the victim of a mass shooting and then go to meet that friend for lunch … and end up in the middle of another mass shooting event.”

Ashbey Beasley of Highland Park, IL, who was visiting a friend in Nashville.

7 hours ago, winsor said:

There is a distinct correlation between severely fucked up people and 'gun violence.'

BSBD,

Winsor

Other than the ready availability of guns, what differences do you see between the USA and every other wealthy western nation that might correlate with their large differences in gun violence rates.

• Like 2

USA appears to be the only country on the planet willing to supply innocent virgin life the some sort of a god to "protect" them with the deaths of those sacrificed.

Sounds like it came from religion. 

Are we living in Zardoz?

"The gun is good, the penis is evil."

Now we must sacrifice more children to Zardoz.

NEXT!

I am never going to understand how America moves backwards. Life expectancy is shortening, we have no proper medical care, we sacrifice innocent children to gods of guns, flat out ignorance regarding deadly health issues, and we clearly we prefer hate to love. We are not a land of freedom, we are a land of violence and hatred. It's disgusting. More so to see people actually embrace it.

USA IS a third world country. WE are the shithole country our previous traitor President referred to.

What happened?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, kallend said:

Other than the ready availability of guns, what differences do you see between the USA and every other wealthy western nation that might correlate with their large differences in gun violence rates.

Merica is free and other western countries are slaves to their governments?

Mentally ill people can and do own firearms and other weapons. Sane people own firearms, primarily, and other weapons to protect themselves from mentally ill people. This latest Nashville shooter did not know what sex he was. That strongly suggests a mental illness to me. 

I believe we have to do a better job of defending soft targets such schools, churches, etc.

15 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

One can now expect to live longer in Cuba, Lebanon and Czechia than the United States of America.

If you are white and don't inject recreational drugs most likely you will live considerably longer. Unless you are an ivermectin user of course.

7 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Mentally ill people can and do own firearms and other weapons. Sane people own firearms, primarily, and other weapons to protect themselves from mentally ill people. This latest Nashville shooter did not know what sex he was. That strongly suggests a mental illness to me. 

I believe we have to do a better job of defending soft targets such schools, churches, etc.

Yep

spacer.png

Merica protecting children, saving lives, one gun at a time.

55 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

If you are white and don't inject recreational drugs most likely you will live considerably longer. Unless you are an ivermectin user of course.

"Even Americans with healthy behaviors, for example, those who are not obese or do not smoke, appear to have higher disease rates than their peers in other countries."

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

Maybe it was revenge for the way the church school mistreated her.

Which is bizarre, considering this god thing made her that way.

Why can't religious zealots accept the world the way their god created it?

2 hours ago, normiss said:

USA appears to be the only country on the planet willing to supply innocent virgin life the some sort of a god to "protect" them with the deaths of those sacrificed.

Sounds like it came from religion. 

Are we living in Zardoz?

"The gun is good, the penis is evil."

Now we must sacrifice more children to Zardoz.

NEXT!

I am never going to understand how America moves backwards. Life expectancy is shortening, we have no proper medical care, we sacrifice innocent children to gods of guns, flat out ignorance regarding deadly health issues, and we clearly we prefer hate to love. We are not a land of freedom, we are a land of violence and hatred. It's disgusting. More so to see people actually embrace it.

USA IS a third world country. WE are the shithole country our previous traitor President referred to.

What happened?

Hi Mark,

Many years ago, I was reading article about the GOP & Roe v Wade.  One analogy was, what would the dog do if it it ever caught the car.  

The GOP found Roe v Wade to be something that they could use to stir up people.  In their minds, this led to re-election.  It has been working exactly how they wanted it to work.

Then the GOP 'discovered' the 2nd Amendment.  It also is working exactly how they want it to work.

IMO both are just ways to stir up people to help ensure the re-election of GOP candidates.

When this country comes to it's senses [ do not expect it soon ] and we vote out the people to are the T's & P's folks, then we will be able to make progress.

While I truly wish BIGUN's ( Keith's ) suggestions could come to fruition, I am not holding my breath.  I wish that I could be more optimistic.

We got rid of one idiot ( Trump ), now we need to get rid of the other idiots.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

The shooter was assigned female at birth, and lived a large part of her life that way. She only used male pronouns on social media -- is your use of the male pronoun acknowledgment that she may have been misassigned?

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

The shooter was assigned female at birth, and lived a large part of her life that way. She only used male pronouns on social media -- is your use of the male pronoun acknowledgment that she may have been misassigned?

Wendy P.

I can't answer for Ron of course. I will say that these kind of events usually have more testosterone than estrogen involved. There has been a hint of gender fluidity here so I'm sure there will be a lot of trans bashing to come. 

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

I can't answer for Ron of course. I will say that these kind of events usually have more testosterone than estrogen involved. There has been a hint of gender fluidity here so I'm sure there will be a lot of trans bashing to come. 

I am just wondering that if one mass shooting by a trans person is telling about trans people in general, what do the rest of the mass shootings say about white men?

If we accept Winsor's premise that it is all about sanity, then I guess trans people are a lot more sane than white guys.

7 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Weird, cause he is actually suggesting legislation to try and stop these mass shootings. Republicans like you are only offering thoughts and prayers. How many thoughts and prayers until they work to reduce some of these mass shootings?

considering she was videoed shouldering a 9mm carbine and not an AR, a ban on AR style weapons would have done no more than “thoughts and prayers”

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

considering she was videoed shouldering a 9mm carbine and not an AR, a ban on AR style weapons would have done no more than “thoughts and prayers”

His efforts are aimed at banning assault style weapons from what I can see. Can certainly argue that an AR-15 is a carbine, so likely both would have been captured in such legislation, unless there would be caliber exclusions.

Regardless, celebrating that a ban wouldn't have stopped a particular mass school shooting seems low, even for you.

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

His efforts are aimed at banning assault style weapons from what I can see. Can certainly argue that an AR-15 is a carbine, so likely both would have been captured in such legislation, unless there would be caliber exclusions.

Regardless, celebrating that a ban wouldn't have stopped a particular mass school shooting seems low, even for you.

Who is celebrating? It is tragic. But the proposed “solutions” would have had little impact on the outcome.  Absent the AR and the KelTech she still had the S&W with 17 rounds of 9mm.

32 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Who is celebrating? It is tragic. But the proposed “solutions” would have had little impact on the outcome.  Absent the AR and the KelTech she still had the S&W with 17 rounds of 9mm.

Can you think f anything that would be more effective in prevention?

Wendy P.