5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

2 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Go re-read Canadian statistics on gun crimes.

Canadian gun laws may not be perfect, but they do limit gun violence. The majority of guns used to commit crimes in Canada were smuggled in from the USA.

It appears that you missed the </sarcasm> delimiter at the end of my post.

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Add this to the list. In fairness, if someone, even a DoorDash Driver, attempted to deliver a meal from Chili's Restaurant to my home I'd be irritated. But in some parts of the United Gun Club of America decorum necessitates that the entire family come out armed and charging firing shots.

It's not the laws it's the culture.

Ridiculous!

How will they react when Door Dash bans their drivers from delivering to their neighborhood?

(edited)
19 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Add this to the list. In fairness, if someone, even a DoorDash Driver, attempted to deliver a meal from Chili's Restaurant to my home I'd be irritated. But in some parts of the United Gun Club of America decorum necessitates that the entire family come out armed and charging firing shots.

It's not the laws it's the culture.

No doubt there are plenty of nut jobs out there and that a "gun culture" exists.

I think that a lively discussion would occur if the referenced behavior was defined as what gun culture is or means. Most would argue that it has a broad definition. 

I haven't read this fully but will.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41599-020-0520-6

Edited by billeisele

A great example of an issue that could be legislatively addressed without conflict from the 2nd. There's no reason that handguns should not be secured in some type of safe or with a lock/cable system in homes where kids are present. This was in Indiana.

The dad was a convicted felon and possessing a gun is illegal. He knew that and denied the existence of the gun.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/17/shane-osborne-arrested-after-son-seen-with-gun-on-on-patrol-live-report/

Is this type law not "sexy" enough to pass? Is this the convo the legislators have - Let's make a big splash and outlaw those scary black guns, require registration and eliminate ammo sales unless one has a State issued gun card. Is there no value in doing the mundane things that will limit gun access by kids?

Virginia, where the 6-yr old shot the teacher, does have some type of law that makes it a misdemeanor for a child to be able to access a gun. We'll see how that plays out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

No doubt there are plenty of nut jobs out there and that a "gun culture" exists.

I think that a lively discussion would occur if the referenced behavior was defined as what gun culture is or means. Most would argue that it has a broad definition. 

I haven't read this fully but will.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41599-020-0520-6

Try this as a part of the definition of gun culture: those "scary black" guns and other guns that you hope get an ooh and/or an ahh when you show it off or post pictures on line are emblems of a gun culture. They aren't tools for a job any more than is a shovel with a penis shaped handle, but they serve the same useless purpose.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 1:23 PM, billeisele said:

There's no reason that handguns should not be secured in some type of safe or with a lock/cable system in homes where kids are present.

Wouldn't this kill the argument that guns can be used for self defence? "Good guys with a gun" will lose a lot of time trying to open a safe...

3 hours ago, olofscience said:

Wouldn't this kill the argument that guns can be used for self defence? "Good guys with a gun" will lose a lot of time trying to open a safe...

Of course it would. But American Gun Strokers would suggest that, instead of saying no to a single gun of any type, we should first try lowering our AR-15's, Glocks, and licensed machine guns down the neighbors well for safe keeping first. So it goes.

(edited)
20 minutes ago, kallend said:

Wow! Did you ever mess up.  A post with a link and no commentary or analysis?  That is a clear violation of the forum’s rules. WMW999 is sure to give you a one month timeout for such a clear transgression.

Edited by brenthutch

On 1/19/2023 at 3:57 PM, olofscience said:

I have lots of guns and two kids.  The long guns are in a large safe with a combination lock.  I have my Glock 34 in a bedside pistol safe with a biometric lock. One sweep of my index finger and I am locked and loaded in less than five seconds.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I have lots of guns and two kids.  The long guns are in a large safe with a combination lock.  I have my Glock 34 in a bedside pistol safe with a biometric lock. One sweep of my index finger and I am locked and loaded in less than five seconds.

You should also have a similar setup in the bathroom so the bad guys can't get you while you're in the shower.

8 hours ago, kallend said:

From the forum rules”

“Copying and pasting the words of somebody else is not a conversation. 

At the very least, the person should make a comment in relation to the thing they've copied and posted so we know where the poster himself stands in relationship to it. Give it some context so you aren't simply acting as a copy and paste meat robot on behalf for some PR firm, lobbying group, or news site.

It doesn't have to be much, but at least it gives us somebody we can converse with. We can't converse with the author of the wall of copy and pasted text, because that person simply isn't here.”

So if one engages in this behavior it makes them a “copy and past meat robot”?

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

From the forum rules”

“Copying and pasting the words of somebody else is not a conversation. 

At the very least, the person should make a comment in relation to the thing they've copied and posted so we know where the poster himself stands in relationship to it. Give it some context so you aren't simply acting as a copy and paste meat robot on behalf for some PR firm, lobbying group, or news site.

It doesn't have to be much, but at least it gives us somebody we can converse with. We can't converse with the author of the wall of copy and pasted text, because that person simply isn't here.”

So if one engages in this behavior it makes them a “copy and past meat robot”?

5 hours ago, billvon said:

I pray your family does not experience what another (former) poster's family did.  He also believed that being armed would help his family.

I pray Brent gives up his secret desire to be a mod. Pray that Brent gets over the idea that everyone is out to get him.

2 hours ago, oldwomanc6 said:

Having been attacked in my shower, I wish I would have been armed.

Don't be so flippant.

Sorry that happened to you.

But it's not your fault for not being armed and vigilant 24/7. It's the failure of your community for allowing the root causes of the attack to happen.

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

Sorry that happened to you.

But it's not your fault for not being armed and vigilant 24/7. It's the failure of your community for allowing the root causes of the attack to happen.

I recommend the Euro 120 for home shower defense. It's what i use.

spacer.png