5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

On 1/1/2023 at 9:16 AM, wmw999 said:

Part of that is the ban on the CDC studying much of anything having to do with gun violence. Even the sponsor of the bill (the Dickey amendment) now says it was a mistake.

We've talked about this 3-4 years ago so I don't mind repeating myself.  I've posted tons of research in this forum from the CDC over the last 15 years wrt to gun violence.  The ban wasn't on studying gun violence, it was a ban on the CDC either promoting or advocating against gun control.  Some may say that this had a chilling effect on the amount of research, but what it really did was expose/limit the amount of any bias in such research.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coreece said:

We've talked about this 3-4 years ago so I don't mind repeating myself.  I've posted tons of research in this forum from the CDC over the last 15 years wrt to gun violence.  The ban wasn't on studying gun violence, it was a ban on the CDC either promoting or advocating against gun control.

The amendment also cut $2.6 million from the CDC's budget, the exact amount that had been allocated to the CDC for firearms research the previous year.

The message was received loud and clear.

It's like a school district spending $20K on sex education (in terms of classroom time and teacher salaries.)  Then the school board saying "no more teaching kids how to have sex with adults!" - then cutting their budget by exactly $20K.

Sure, the board can say "we said NOTHING about sex ed, we're just against pedphilia!  Why, do you support pedophilia?!?!?!!"  But their intent was clear.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, billvon said:
39 minutes ago, Coreece said:

We've talked about this 3-4 years ago so I don't mind repeating myself.  I've posted tons of research in this forum from the CDC over the last 15 years wrt to gun violence.  The ban wasn't on studying gun violence, it was a ban on the CDC either promoting or advocating against gun control.  Some may say that this had a chilling effect on the amount of research, but what it really did was expose/limit the amount of any bias in such research.

The amendment also cut $2.6 million from the CDC's budget, the exact amount that had been allocated to the CDC for firearms research the previous year.

The message was received loud and clear.

Not sure which year you're talking about specifically, there were a lot.  The one that sticks out off the top of my head was back in 2013 I think, when Obama allowed for about $10 million dollars in CDC gun violence research, without the bias of course. I'm sure there was more over the years that provided much insight.  I mean the violence prevention programs that I mentioned in my post up-thread have been based primarily off CDC guidelines.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, Slim King said:

Thank you!!! How do you feel about virtually all schools and government employees Ignoring these laws?

Every citizen should have a basic understanding of the constitution and laws of his/her/its country before graduating high school. This basic understanding could eliminate half of the "sovereign citizen" foolishness.

Reading the original documents tends to displace later propaganda.

42 minutes ago, kallend said:

So a six year old in Newport News, VA, exercizing his 2nd Amendment rights, shot his teacher and is now in police custody.

Just exactly how would you go about holding a six year old in custody? Can you even charge a six YO with a crime? Certainly not in the civilized part of the western world.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Just exactly how would you go about holding a six year old in custody? Can you even charge a six YO with a crime? Certainly not in the civilized part of the western world.

According to the UN, the youngest age a child can be held accountable for a crime should be 12. The US did not sign on to that.

NPR article about this - 
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/02/1093313589/states-juvenile-minimum-age-arrested-advocates-change

5 hours ago, kallend said:

So a six year old in Newport News, VA, exercizing his 2nd Amendment rights, shot his teacher and is now in police custody.

Only in America.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64194407

Hi John,

I think that the only answer is a constitutional amendment:  US appeals court scraps Trump-era bump stock ban - JURIST - News

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Hi Ken,

From an article I found:  

Virginia law prevents six-year-olds being tried as adults. And the child would also be too young to be committed to the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice if found guilty.

But a judge could revoke the parents' custody of the boy and take him into the supervision of the state.

Newport News: Condition of teacher shot by child improving - BBC News

Jerry Baumchen

53 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Motor sports? Aviation?

Well, since I crashed I think motor sports are stupid, too. Besides, you can sit on your porch and watch cars go by for free and drink good booze instead of racetrack plonk. You must have never flown a variety of cool aircraft if you would analogize aviation to hitting a bongo drum the same way, again and again, which is what target practice is more akin to.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Now now, that's not fair.  Not all gun nuts have small dicks.

Professor, you are quite possibly as right as ever. Nonetheless you've stated the proposition. Is it time, and I'll defer to your better angels, for us all to post our credentials?

Just now, JoeWeber said:

Professor, you are quite possibly as right as ever. Nonetheless you've stated the proposition. Is it time, and I'll defer to your better angels, for us all to post our credentials?

Um, why yes ]:). Especially because all the pre-software-upgrade pictures are gone now, including both titty bar and naked post whore glory

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

From an article I found:  

Virginia law prevents six-year-olds being tried as adults. And the child would also be too young to be committed to the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice if found guilty.

But a judge could revoke the parents' custody of the boy and take him into the supervision of the state.

Newport News: Condition of teacher shot by child improving - BBC News

Jerry Baumchen

It will be interesting to learn why, how the gun was obtained, and info about the parents and family situation.

27 minutes ago, billeisele said:

It will be interesting to learn why, how the gun was obtained, and info about the parents and family situation.

Interesting? Not fascinating or perhaps mesmerizing? Truly, we need lot's more stories like this one so we can finally figure out why we're so discombobulated. Especially we need unknown info about the parents. Like, are they White Southerners or Mexican Gang members, for example. So much to learn, for sure.

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

The underlying cause of this incident is Americas lust for and love of killing machines being allowed to grow unchecked. But someone will be found to blame.

• Like 4

Man out on parole from a 20-year jail sentence for armed robbery breaks into a home with a woman and 2 kids inside. He was armed with a shovel and lug wrench. She defended herself and the intruder is dead.

Yes, she took a risk by having a gun in the house. In this case the risk saved her and the kids.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mother-fatally-shoots-shovel-wielding-intruder-broke-louisiana-home-au-rcna65057

On 1/9/2023 at 7:37 AM, gowlerk said:

The underlying cause of this incident is Americas lust for and love of killing machines being allowed to grow unchecked. But someone will be found to blame.

According to the USSC nobody will ever be blamed. A December ruling has thrown open the doors for unlimited guns in America.

"In the Bruen opinion, Thomas made clear that, henceforth, the Court’s conservative majority would judge all firearms regulations by a new originalist standard: If there is no historical proof of a gun law linked to 1791 or 1868—the years when the Second and Fourteenth Amendments, respectively, were ratified—then any modern law restricting firearms is liable to be ruled unconstitutional. Never mind that any teenager with a modern AR-15 rifle can fire several times every second, whereas a well-trained 18th-century soldier could fire a musket, at best, three or four times a minute."

Gun control laws fall at dizzying pace after Supreme Court ruling

So now its back to constitution changes.Because thats not going to happen.  Perhaps its time for this 2nd amendment thread to be closed by the mods.

7 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

So now its back to constitution changes.Because thats not going to happen.  Perhaps its time for this 2nd amendment thread to be closed by the mods.

One of the purposes of this thread is to keep most of the 2nd amendment stuff here.