5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

33 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Depends who they were.

If it was a cop?  Fine by me.

If it was a a DZ packer I can think of?  Absolutely not.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Here's one to talk about:  Why Tho? Readers weigh in on how they’d deal with guest bringing a gun to a party - oregonlive.com

Thoughts if it were your home?

If it were my home, they would be told to leave.

Jerry Baumchen

Alcohol and guns are never a good combination. Regardless of the presence of alcohol, kids or anything else bringing a gun into someone else's home without asking is, IMO, not acceptable. 

• Like 1

In all fairness you can't get good people to flip burgers these day's, no wonder our finest have problems.

"An Indiana police officer this week visited the South Vermillion High School to teach children about how to be good law enforcement officials -- but he wound up accidentally shooting one of his prospective pupils."

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

"An Indiana police officer this week visited the South Vermillion High School to teach children about how to be good law enforcement officials -- but he wound up accidentally shooting one of his prospective pupils."

A well-armed student could have shot the cop before he managed to shoot the student, and it would have clearly been self defense.  The only thing that stops a bad cop with a gun is a good student with a gun.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

A well-armed student could have shot the cop before he managed to shoot the student, and it would have clearly been self defense.  The only thing that stops a bad cop with a gun is a good student with a gun.

Years ago I took pride in my hunting prowess.That ended one afternoon when my dog picked up a limit of wounded ducks on our way to the blind. Actually, there was a worse thing. No matter, except for home defense and gophers I am getting shed of all of my guns just to be less a part of our national silliness.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

No matter, except for home defense and gophers I am getting shed of all of my guns just to be less a part of our national silliness.

Other than gophers who are you defending your home from? Unless you are shedding those guns by destroying them you are just transferring ownership of the silliness to another silly. But hey, baby steps are how we all learn to walk tall some day.

8 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Other than gophers who are you defending your home from? Unless you are shedding those guns by destroying them you are just transferring ownership of the silliness to another silly. But hey, baby steps are how we all learn to walk tall some day.

I don't know who I'm defending my home against. If I did I suppose I'd just go shoot them now and get rid of that gun, too. I could destroy my old hunting guns but none are the type I have great concerns over. So instead I'm giving them away to responsible hunters. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 1:35 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Here's one to talk about:  Why Tho? Readers weigh in on how they’d deal with guest bringing a gun to a party - oregonlive.com

Thoughts if it were your home?

If it were my home, they would be told to leave.

Jerry Baumchen

"Time for you to head home now."

Anyone who mixed alcohol with brandishing a gun would get the bums' rush from my apartment.

I would take the police approach. When mature police officers host parties, they insist on everyone leaving their car keys with the host and locking up guns. At the end of the evening, the host decides who is sober enough to drive home. If they think far enough ahead, they leave guns at home.

These days, few Canadian police officers carry guns while off duty. Many just lock their guns at the police station at the end of their shift.

It is almost impossible for a Canadian civilian to obtain a concealed-carry permit.

2 hours ago, riggerrob said:

"Time for you to head home now."

Anyone who mixed alcohol with brandishing a gun would get the bums' rush from my apartment.

I would take the police approach. When mature police officers host parties, they insist on everyone leaving their car keys with the host and locking up guns. At the end of the evening, the host decides who is sober enough to drive home. If they think far enough ahead, they leave guns at home.

These days, few Canadian police officers carry guns while off duty. Many just lock their guns at the police station at the end of their shift.

It is almost impossible for a Canadian civilian to obtain a concealed-carry permit.

Jeez, Canada must have a horrendous murder rate then, with civilians denied the means of self defense.

Oh, wait.....

gun_deaths1.png

47 minutes ago, kallend said:

Jeez, Canada must have a horrendous murder rate then, with civilians denied the means of self defense.

Oh, wait.....

gun_deaths1.png

When Canadians hear  Americans talking about owning guns to defend their homes they don’t really know what that could be all about. It’s just such a strange idea. Even those of us who have guns don’t keep them in a state where they would be useful in the middle of the night when someone has broken in.

• Like 1

A woman in Chicago with a concealed carry permit fought back with her gun against two armed would-be carjackers who approached her while she was in her car. 

"Thank God I had my gun, or I’d probably be dead right now." Her identity has not been released to the public. 

The 42-year-old woman was getting into her car outside a bank in Chicago’s Roseland neighborhood on Monday afternoon when the suspects approached her and pulled out a handgun. She had just gotten cash from the bank, which was still in her hand. 

"I had just come out of the bank and was sitting in my car about to lock my door to pull off in leave, and he opened my door and put a gun in my face," the unidentified woman said of one suspect.

She then pulled out her own firearm and shot at the suspects. "And when he saw me get mine, he looked surprised – and I started shooting, and he started running," she told CBS Chicago. "He ran."

Yes, having a gun is a choice and it has potential consequences. Evaluate the risks and make a choice.

In this instance the lady was able to defend herself because she had a gun. Again, in a city with restrictive gun laws that clearly don't work.

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

A woman in Chicago with a concealed carry permit fought back with her gun against two armed would-be carjackers who approached her while she was in her car. 

"Thank God I had my gun, or I’d probably be dead right now." Her identity has not been released to the public. 

The 42-year-old woman was getting into her car outside a bank in Chicago’s Roseland neighborhood on Monday afternoon when the suspects approached her and pulled out a handgun. She had just gotten cash from the bank, which was still in her hand. 

"I had just come out of the bank and was sitting in my car about to lock my door to pull off in leave, and he opened my door and put a gun in my face," the unidentified woman said of one suspect.

She then pulled out her own firearm and shot at the suspects. "And when he saw me get mine, he looked surprised – and I started shooting, and he started running," she told CBS Chicago. "He ran."

Yes, having a gun is a choice and it has potential consequences. Evaluate the risks and make a choice.

In this instance the lady was able to defend herself because she had a gun. Again, in a city with restrictive gun laws that clearly don't work.

Since she had a permit it appears the "restrictive" laws weren't a problem.

In 2021 Chicago had the 11th highest murder rate of major US cities. 

Of the 10 major cities that had higher rates, 7 have much less restrictive laws than Chicago.  Maybe St. Louis, KC, NOLA, Atlanta. . . can learn something from Chicago.

On 11/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, riggerrob said:

Last known information is from 2018 when the RCMP confirmed there were two (2) people with Authorization To Carry for the protection of life.

There are more people who have ATCs, but they all relate to people whose job it is to spend time in remote locations to allow them to carry restricted firearms for protection from wildlife. Anybody with a PAL can carry unrestricted firearms on crown land.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

The killer's grandfather was a republican assemblyman who said that the Jan 6th attack "is Lexington and Concord. First shots fired against tyranny!"

No surprise there.

And the Colorado Springs LÊ community has indicated that they won’t enforce the state’s new-ish red flag law. Since the shooter issued a bomb threat last year, it’s likely it would have flagged him.

But hey, freedom, and it’s only a bunch of gays

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

And the Colorado Springs LÊ community has indicated that they won’t enforce the state’s new-ish red flag law. Since the shooter issued a bomb threat last year, it’s likely it would have flagged him.

But hey, freedom, and it’s only a bunch of gays

Wendy P. 

Hey, that 'bunch of gays' was FAAAAAR more effective at stopping the shooter than the ENTIRE Uvlade SWAT team.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 12:50 PM, kallend said:

Since she had a permit it appears the "restrictive" laws weren't a problem.

In 2021 Chicago had the 11th highest murder rate of major US cities. 

Of the 10 major cities that had higher rates, 7 have much less restrictive laws than Chicago.  Maybe St. Louis, KC, NOLA, Atlanta. . . can learn something from Chicago.

Chicago - 600+ gun deaths so far this year, 20 last week. Lightfoot hasn't taken any affirmative steps but she is good at whining.

The restrictive gun laws comment was directed at the fact that the criminal had a gun. Criminals do not follow the law and that's one reason why law abiding citizens want the option to have a gun.

1 minute ago, billeisele said:

Chicago - 600+ gun deaths so far this year, 20 last week. Lightfoot hasn't taken any affirmative steps but she is good at whining.

The restrictive gun laws comment was directed at the fact that the criminal had a gun. Criminals do not follow the law and that's one reason why law abiding citizens want the option to have a gun.

Apparently you don't understand the concept of RATE.  Chicago isn't even in the top ten for RATE.

Tell it to the mayors of Atlanta, Memphis, St. Louis, New Orleans or KC, each of which has a higher murder rate than Chicago, and each of which is in a "gun friendly" state.