5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

My suggestions were and are predicated on the premises that they be acceptable/legal under current law and be passable in the political climate. Yes, I realize that is extremely limiting. I just don't think that the 2nd would be modified. The political climate may prevent anything from being done but I'm hopeful that at least some change based on facts and not emotion or politics could be agreed upon.

My input is in italics below yours above. 

Thank you. Rather than continued tit for tat, point by point, and excepting two issues, I'll just let my positions stand as written. I am, certainly, open to you or anyone else dissecting my positions for additional errors or just plain simplemindedness. 

The two issues are, first, concealed carry for private citizens based on simple desire. To my mind, that runs counter to the more important constitutional right of free and open speech and peaceable assembly. Though it wasn't discussed, I would most definitely include a blanket restriction on open carry, too. My reasoning is simple: armed free speech and assembly can easily negate or prevent unarmed free speech and/or peaceable assembly in the public square. The First Amendment is the First Amendment for a reason. 

The second issue is that if AR-15's are outlawed a 6 shot capacity Shotgun would be the next best home defense weapon. I could easily argue that any shotgun with a 28" barrel and a modified or open choke loaded with 00 shot is already the best choice for home defense and AR-15's are not even a distant second place. Also, if you need more than 3 shots to feel well armed just remove the plug. 

19 hours ago, BIGUN said:

So here we are 1.762 posts into a two year old thread. I can't help but wonder how many of the liberals on here have taken the time to pen their representatives as much as they've argued on here. Shouldn't be long before Kallend posts another headline that we all see in the news  - cause you know that takes less time than actually writing something and sending it to a representative.

Since you mention me by name, what, exactly, makes you think that my two Dem senators and my Dem representative, along with my Dem state senator, Dem mayor and Dem alderman, aren't already familiar with my views?

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Since you mention me by name, what, exactly, makes you think that my two Dem senators and my Dem representative, along with my Dem state senator, Dem mayor and Dem alderman, aren't already familiar with my views?

Because then Durbin would have enacted some legislation with your views -

https://www.durbin.senate.gov/legislation?congress=115&database=text&MaxDocs=1000&query=guns&Search=Go 

28 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

https://www.durbin.senate.gov/legislation?congress=115&database=text&MaxDocs=1000&query=guns&Search=Go 

<sarcasm> Sure, Durbin listens to everything I say or write, and acts according to my wishes every time.

He just sits in his office awaiting my instructions.

</sarcasm>

Edited by kallend

25 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Please direct our attentions to gun control legislation enacted that is directly owing to your letter writing campaigns.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Please direct our attentions to gun control legislation enacted that is directly owing to your letter writing campaigns.

As mentioned earlier and often; I am now shunned by my tribe in two areas; Guns and Global Warming. But, I continue to try and will keep wearing them out with facts. There's more of my tribe that feel the same way - and it's growing.

And to whom have you written or talked in any house about creating legislation. The liberal party is in control and they do nothing.  NOTHING. I've given you ANOTHER tool and yet you guys do nothing while children are being killed. Write your legislators and ask them to codify the NFA for all weapons and ammo. Think you can handle that?

Hell, you don't even have to leave the comfort of your laptop - all legislators now have an online text block for you to submit - and here's the really cool part, you can ask for a response and they get it to you. 

Give it a shot. Make your voice heard somewhere other than here. There's a fajita in it for you.  

31 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

As mentioned earlier and often; I am now shunned by my tribe in two areas; Guns and Global Warming. But, I continue to try and will keep wearing them out with facts. There's more of my tribe that feel the same way - and it's growing.

And to whom have you written or talked in any house about creating legislation. The liberal party is in control and they do nothing.  NOTHING. I've given you ANOTHER tool and yet you guys do nothing while children are being killed. Write your legislators and ask them to codify the NFA for all weapons and ammo. Think you can handle that?

Hell, you don't even have to leave the comfort of your laptop - all legislators now have an online text block for you to submit - and here's the really cool part, you can ask for a response and they get it to you. 

Give it a shot. Make your voice heard somewhere other than here. There's a fajita in it for you.  

So none. Fair enough, we all contribute based on our talents. So, I’m in Oregon. My reps don’t need more letters to be more liberal. Maybe you’d be more useful to the cause of common sense if you abandoned your tribe for ours. A coming out of sorts, if you like.

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

So none. Fair enough, we all contribute based on our talents. So, I’m in Oregon. My reps don’t need more letters to be more liberal. Maybe you’d be more useful to the cause of common sense if you abandoned your tribe for ours. A coming out of sorts, if you like.

Hi Joe,

Re:   I’m in Oregon. My reps don’t need more letters to be more liberal.

IMO we are fortunate.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Oh please! 

Every time state "LIB" legislators try to make sensible laws the conservatives on the Supreme Court stymie them.

Heller

McDonald

etc.

And until the filibuster goes away the GOP can block anything passing the Senate even if they're in a minority.

11 hours ago, kallend said:

You have yet to justify being so intrusive.

DAILY GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING CHILDREN AND TEENS (1-17)

Every day, 22 children and teens (1-17) are shot in the United States. Among those:

• 5 die from gun violence
  • 3 are murdered
  • 17 children and teens survive gunshot injuries
  • 8 are intentionally shot by someone else and survive
  • 2 children and teens either die from gun suicide or survive an attempted gun suicide
  • 8 children and teens are unintentionally shot in instances of family fire — a shooting involving an improperly stored or misused gun found in the home resulting in injury or death

https://www.bradyunited.org/key-statistics

So, yeah, my question remains, What are you willing to do about it or are you just going to continue to post headline links every time another child gets shot?

Bigun has stepped up and invested a lot of work, and some of his relationships, into what he sees as an issue that he can contribute to personally, and that's important. It's not a blah blah blah, because we have multiple threads addressing this issue (including this one, started by you).

If you don't like his approach (which does move the needle, and in a way that at least some conservatives find acceptable), how don't you like it? A national ban on firearms simply isn't going to happen, and you know that, too.

OTOH, I guess SC is exactly the place where people come to just gripe about stuff they don't want to actually do anything about. Not sure that's wonderful.

Wendy P.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Bigun has stepped up and invested a lot of work, and some of his relationships, into what he sees as an issue that he can contribute to personally, and that's important. It's not a blah blah blah, because we have multiple threads addressing this issue (including this one, started by you).

If you don't like his approach (which does move the needle, and in a way that at least some conservatives find acceptable), how don't you like it? A national ban on firearms simply isn't going to happen, and you know that, too.

OTOH, I guess SC is exactly the place where people come to just gripe about stuff they don't want to actually do anything about. Not sure that's wonderful.

Wendy P.

OK, please direct our attentions to where BIGUN's approach, the one he adversely requires that we all adhere to so as to maintain our legitimacy, has "moved" the needle. He's smart, passionate and not fully in the box with his tribe but that would describe many of us here and is equally without pertinence. No person of letters has a snow balls chance in hell of adjusting, if only by an iota, the NRA bought and paid for position of the majority of the pandering, demagogic, right wing political minority that controls issue of gun control in America. Now, if BIGUN want's to lead a letter writing campaign that targets the right wing politicians he's helped install with sage advice on how to pull ones head out of their asses I might interested. But the idea that a well turned phrase can influence someone with the mentality of Sen. Tom Thune to reverse, or in any way meaningfully change, their position that AR-15's can never be restricted because they are useful for shooting prairie dogs is nothing short of phantasmagorical. Count me also as a "yawn".

• Like 2