5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

(edited)
28 minutes ago, kallend said:

Where were all the good guys with guns?

Exactly John. Why were the victims not able to protect each other? What is America coming to? People need to step up and arm themselves now. Especially in predominantly black neighbourhoods. 

Edited by gowlerk

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Exactly John. Why were the victims not able to protect each other? What is America coming to? People need to step up and arm themselves now. Especially in predominantly black neighbourhoods. 

Dude definitely looks like a white supremacist, a misguided 18 year old who's no better than Dylann Roof, and should never see the light of day in prison. But from what I've read, there was a retired cop who fired at the kid but he had a bullet proof vest on. The retired cop was killed, unfortunately. 

New York has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country, no? It's so restrictive that many law abiding people find it too much of a hassle to jump through all the legal hoops to get a gun legally, yet the laws don't stop bad people from getting one. Same with Chicago. Gun laws just make people easier targets. IMO. 

FWIW, I had my house broken into three times during the first 15 years living in my house. I've installed a security alarm and armed myself with an AR15 and a S&W M&P. I'm retired so I spend a lot of time tooling around the house. I take my wife and guns to the shooting range every now and then. We enjoy it. I hope to never have to use them in defense, but they're there when seconds matter and the police are a few minutes away. No issues the last 7 years. Hope it stays that way. It's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it. Just be responsible owners if you're going to get one.

44 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

FWIW, I had my house broken into three times during the first 15 years living in my house. I've installed a security alarm and armed myself with an AR15 and a S&W M&P.

Move somewhere safe, like Chicago.  In 45 years here I've had no breakins, never been robbed, never assaulted, never threatened, in fact never the victim of any crime at all.  I did know a guy who said he knew someone who claimed he was robbed (that was 30 years ago).

46 minutes ago, kallend said:

Move somewhere safe, like Chicago.  In 45 years here I've had no breakins, never been robbed, never assaulted, never threatened, in fact never the victim of any crime at all.  I did know a guy who said he knew someone who claimed he was robbed (that was 30 years ago).

Chicago has their safe neighborhoods. There are just other areas where crime is way off the charts especially with black on black gang violence, but you'll never hear a peep out of BLM on those. The city's biggest problem is the mayor and the Cook County DA. They are absolute morons. 

3 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Chicago has their safe neighborhoods. There are just other areas where crime is way off the charts especially with black on black gang violence, but you'll never hear a peep out of BLM on those.

Just like you won't hear a peep out of pro-cop support groups about cops killing black people.  Not their focus.

(edited)
23 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Add another shooting to the list:  Mass shooting in Buffalo supermarket leaves at least 10 dead - oregonlive.com

From the link:  authorities called a “hate crime and racially motived violent extremism,”

Jerry Baumchen

The US averages that many people shot in mass shootings every 3 days or less.  There have been 200 shootings this year to date, in which 4 or more people were shot.

Edited by headoverheels

6 hours ago, BillyVance said:

It's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it. Just be responsible owners if you're going to get one.

This mental fallacy is why the US will always be unable to solve this problem.

• Like 3

On 5/15/2022 at 12:36 AM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Add another shooting to the list:  Mass shooting in Buffalo supermarket leaves at least 10 dead - oregonlive.com

From the link:  authorities called a “hate crime and racially motived violent extremism,”

They’re calling it that but they’re not calling it terrorism. Strange, isn’t it?

15 hours ago, BillyVance said:

It's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it. Just be responsible owners if you're going to get one.

Unfortunately satisfying your last sentence seems to be impossible for many people - such as those whose infants find the gun and shoot someone, or those who shoot a family member by mistake, or those whose guns are stolen (by criminals, of course, FBI estimates criminals obtain some 300,000 guns every year by theft from "law abiding citizens").

15 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Dude definitely looks like a white supremacist, a misguided 18 year old who's no better than Dylann Roof, and should never see the light of day in prison. But from what I've read, there was a retired cop who fired at the kid but he had a bullet proof vest on. The retired cop was killed, unfortunately. 

New York has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country, no? It's so restrictive that many law abiding people find it too much of a hassle to jump through all the legal hoops to get a gun legally, yet the laws don't stop bad people from getting one. Same with Chicago. Gun laws just make people easier targets. IMO. 

FWIW, I had my house broken into three times during the first 15 years living in my house. I've installed a security alarm and armed myself with an AR15 and a S&W M&P. I'm retired so I spend a lot of time tooling around the house. I take my wife and guns to the shooting range every now and then. We enjoy it. I hope to never have to use them in defense, but they're there when seconds matter and the police are a few minutes away. No issues the last 7 years. Hope it stays that way. It's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it. Just be responsible owners if you're going to get one.

You pretend to save your hope. I'm the only person I know, of all of the gun people I've known, who has ever used a gun to defend my home. In retrospect I am convinced that had I just stayed silent and where I was the intruder would have left without incident. But, I just had to take my .300 Savage off the wall, chamber a round and go down the hall. See? That's the problem. Guns can make you do dumb and unnecessary things like believe you need to defend yourself when you really do not.

• Like 1

Published: 10:31 PM EDT May 15, 2022

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Winston-Salem police are investigating a shooting involving three separate scenes that left seven people injured.

Police received a shots fired notification after 7:30 p.m. Sunday.

Police confirmed the seven victims who were injured are all connected to one shooting and said all seven have non-life threatening injuries.

Busy weekend for law abiding gun owners.

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Unfortunately satisfying your last sentence seems to be impossible for many people - such as those whose infants find the gun and shoot someone, or those who shoot a family member by mistake, or those whose guns are stolen (by criminals, of course, FBI estimates criminals obtain some 300,000 guns every year by theft from "law abiding citizens").

I didn't have any guns until my girls became teenagers, and we talked about it with them. They're fine with having the guns in the house. They don't have any interest in them now but understand what they're for. 

And there are plenty of examples of homeowners legally shooting burglars and home invasion suspects. 

Just now, BillyVance said:

And there are plenty of examples of homeowners legally shooting burglars and home invasion suspects. 

There are. But there are far more examples of other homeowners losing their guns through theft, or having them used irresponsibly. When is the tradeoff not worth it? It’s kind of like seat belts. There is the occasional person who is better off without them, but more are better with.

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyVance said:

Until the US figures out how to keep guns out of bad people's hands, I'll keep my guns for self protection, thank you very much. 

That's your choice. I'm sure you are ignoring the fact that they are far more likely to do you harm than good. You doubtless think you are an exception, same as everyone else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Until the US figures out how to keep guns out of bad people's hands, I'll keep my guns for self protection, thank you very much. 

Hopefully you hear the bad guy coming before he gets to drop on you. Unfortunately that’s not likely for you is it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyVance said:

"Guns at home were four times more likely to cause an accidental shooting, seven times more likely to be used in assault or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be used in a suicide than they were to be used for self-defense."

It's like getting a wild orangutan and keeping it as a pet for home protection.  I mean, no one is going to break into a house with a wild orangutan in it - right?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

I’m not sure why we’re focusing on the Buffalo shooting as a gun issue. It’s actually a racism issue

There's a lot of neo-Nazis in Europe.

Virtually zero mass shootings with military style semi-auto weapons.

Its also kind of funny that it's not being called 'terrorism'. 

Maybe because real terrorists have brown skin? (we really need a 'sarcasm' font on here)

22 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:
36 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

There's a lot of neo-Nazis in Europe.

Virtually zero mass shootings with military style semi-auto weapons.

This particular young man was inspired by both the New Zealand and the Norwegian events.

23 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Hi Billy,

Just a question - Re:  I had my house broken into three times

Were you home at the time of the breakins?

Jerry Baumchen