5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

46 minutes ago, jakee said:

Criminals murdering other criminals isn’t justice. Not really sure why that needs to be pointed out.

Agree. What I said was backwoods justice. The typical meaning of "street justice or backwoods justice" is citizens taking the law into their own hands and causing some type harm to the person that they perceive deserves it. There is plenty wrong with that and it doesn't meet the legal definition of justice. I was only pointing out that it occurs.

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

I hope they are because they are making it quite difficult for law abiding citizens to obtain and enjoy a firearm.

That's plain weird. I get it that a guy might enjoy duck hunting (actually waiting in ambush with a few tricks handy to out smart them) or tracking an Elk (usually along the tracks they'd been making for years). I've done plenty of each but once in the field I didn't give the gun I was toting any more thought than my boots; it's just another tool. Maybe a good start would be to start stopping the belief it's a nice thing to hold and stroke for your personal entertainment.

6 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That's plain weird. I get it that a guy might enjoy duck hunting (actually waiting in ambush with a few tricks handy to out smart them) or tracking an Elk (usually along the tracks they'd been making for years). I've done plenty of each but once in the field I didn't give the gun I was toting any more thought than my boots; it's just another tool. Maybe a good start would be to start stopping the belief it's a nice thing to hold and stroke for your personal entertainment.

I'd enjoyed an elk hunting adventure. Not the ole knees could handle the mountainous walking.

There are plenty of folks that enjoy targeting shooting and other recreational aspects of firing a gun. They do it for official competitions, for fun with friends, to clank metal targets, to test and hone their paper punching abilities, to vaporize clay targets, possibly just to hear the noise and many other reasons. Based on the amount of ammo being purchased, reloading occurring, and what is observed at the firing ranges I don't see the "nice thing to hold and stroke" for entertainment changing. 

(edited)
6 minutes ago, billeisele said:

I'd enjoyed an elk hunting adventure. Not the ole knees could handle the mountainous walking.

There are plenty of folks that enjoy targeting shooting and other recreational aspects of firing a gun. They do it for official competitions, for fun with friends, to clank metal targets, to test and hone their paper punching abilities, to vaporize clay targets, possibly just to hear the noise and many other reasons. Based on the amount of ammo being purchased, reloading occurring, and what is observed at the firing ranges I don't see the "nice thing to hold and stroke" for entertainment changing. 

What is weird is that any time I doubled or filled a tag I never thought it was the gun, it's so enjoyable. Anyway, as fun as this is let's circle back to the Biden thread where inquiring minds are waiting to be enlightened in the many ways that Obama has been an equal pain in the nations collective ass to Donald J. Trump. You made the assertion so let's have some 'splainin' please.

Edited by JoeWeber

24 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

What is weird is that any time I doubled or filled a tag I never thought it was the gun, it's so enjoyable. Anyway, as fun as this is let's circle back to the Biden thread where inquiring minds are waiting to be enlightened in the many ways that Obama has been an equal pain in the nations collective ass to Donald J. Trump. You made the assertion so let's have some 'splainin' please.

Well... since you asked so nicely. And we agree that fulfillment in hunting is more than with paper punching. 

I'll leave my reply for you to tromp on in the Biden thread.  

7 hours ago, billeisele said:

I've asked Kallend - our most avid anti-gun whiner - that exact question weeks ago, still no answer.

Funny how it goes from Illinois to California according to the wishes of the rabid gun-nut poster.

The recent triple murder at a gun range was in GA, hardly a restrictive state.

I wonder just how easy it is to drive from CA to AZ or NV and buy a gun.  Rhetorical question, but it illustrates the absence of, and need for, nation wide rules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

I wonder just how easy it is to drive from CA to AZ or NV and buy a gun.  Rhetorical question, but it illustrates the absence of, and need for, nation wide rules. 

Not as easy as you make it sound.

To purchase a hand gun from a dealer (and most sales at gun shows are from dealers), the buyer has to prove their identity.
It is NOT legal for a resident of CA to buy a hand gun in AZ or NV.

7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not as easy as you make it sound.

To purchase a hand gun from a dealer (and most sales at gun shows are from dealers), the buyer has to prove their identity.
It is NOT legal for a resident of CA to buy a hand gun in AZ or NV.

It's not "legal" to shoot up a school or church either.  Legality has nothing to do with how easy it is.  Arizona has no requirement for a background check on private sales at gun shows.

6 hours ago, kallend said:

Arizona has no requirement for a background check on private sales at gun shows.

Exactly.  Go to a gun show, say "yeah, I'm from Tucson and my record's clean; I'll take that Glock."  The seller is then doing nothing illegal to believe you and sell you the weapon.

(edited)
On 4/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, billvon said:

Exactly.  Go to a gun show, say "yeah, I'm from Tucson and my record's clean; I'll take that Glock."  The seller is then doing nothing illegal to believe you and sell you the weapon.

“With New York’s strict gun control laws, how many innocent people were carrying a gun when the bad guy with a gun broke the existing laws and started shooting people?” -Marjory Taylor Greene

That, gun enjoyers, is the problem in a nutshell. To it's ultimate conclusion a certifiable nut out of her shell will argue that a subway car filled with smoke and full of people would have been the perfect venue for good guy's, girls, and kiddee's to open up with their guns to defend themselves. Not much else to say, really.

Edited by JoeWeber

On 4/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, billeisele said:

There's an execution scheduled April 29 for a murder committed in 1999. The guy was given the choice of the E-Chair or F-Squad. He's required to choose at least 14 days before the scheduled execution, that date is this week.

When lethal injection drugs became unavailable his law team successfully argued that having only one option, the E-Chair, for death was not acceptable. Lawmakers then reauthorized the F-Squad. The team then argued cruel and unusual punishment. What they are really arguing is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime, it should have been life in prison. That was denied by the State Supreme Court. The team is appealing to the US Supreme Ct.

The procedure is: hooded prisoner strapped to a metal chair, target placed over the heart, and 3 volunteer prison workers firing from 15' away through a rectangular opening. 

Seems that the real issue is lack of lethal injection drugs. There must be some cost, difficulty, patent or other reason the State doesn't just make the drugs.

We have a winner!

South Carolina courts gave Richard Moore eight days to decide exactly how he wants to die, and on Friday he made his choice. Moore, who has been on South Carolina’s death row for 21 years, is scheduled for execution on April 29. By state law, the 57-year-old Spartanburg man had to determine which execution method will be responsible for ending his life: the state’s 110-year-old electric chair or a three-man firing squad. Moore picked the newest option offered by the state, the firing squad. 

He's a modernist, I'll give him that. Now for the cat fight over who gets to waste him. 

11 hours ago, kallend said:

South Carolina wins the prize for most mass shootings this weekend:

(AP) — Authorities in South Carolina are investigating a shooting at a nightclub early Sunday that wounded at least nine people. It was the second mass shooting in the state and the fourth in the nation during the Easter holiday weekend.

FIFY by adding the fourth. Makes me wonder if there will be yet another this Easter Monday.

45 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

FIFY by adding the fourth. Makes me wonder if there will be yet another this Easter Monday.

Maybe, but probably not.

Mondays are not the typical mass shooting day.

"Recreational" mass shootings (bars, shopping malls, car shows) happen mostly on the weekends.

"Workplace" mass shootings typically happen towards the end of the week.

So guns are now the #1 cause of death for children in the US.  Needless to say, conservatives continue to be opposed to any action at all.  "A gun ban will never work" is a constant refrain, along with threats that democrats will try to ban all guns.

Now, beyond the fact that no democratic leader is actually trying to ban guns, I have to wonder at their claim that bans can never work.  Because apparently, according to republicans:

Banning trans people from gendered sports will prevent unfairness and inequity
Banning/burning books will prevent white children from feeling bad
Banning abortion means there will be no more abortion
Banning masks will preserve freedom
Banning trans people from bathrooms will prevent sexual assault
Banning the teaching of black history will keep the blacks from taking over
Banning/canceling Disney will prevent impressionable kids from going trans

Is it just me, or is there a huge logical disconnect here?

https://news.umich.edu/firearms-now-top-cause-of-death-among-children-adolescents-u-m-analysis-shows/

• Like 2

It’s easy — it’s all about punishment. It’s OK to be able to punish all those other people, but conservatives don’t want to be subject to punishment themselves. And a decent number of them will (ahem) “refuse to comply.”

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billvon said:

...Is it just me, or is there a huge logical disconnect here?

These are the same people who want to ostracize gay people, yet keep getting caught in bathrooms committing 'crimes against nature'.

The same people that claim to be for 'family values', yet support scuzzbuckets like Trump, Gaetz, Rey Moore and a lot of others.

They claim to 'follow Jesus', yet behave the exact opposite of what Jesus' teachings espouse.

They claim to be "patriots', yet are doing everything they can to destroy democracy in America.

So, no. 
It's not 'just you'.

They're a bunch of hypocrites.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 3:28 PM, billvon said:

So guns are now the #1 cause of death for children in the US.  Needless to say, conservatives continue to be opposed to any action at all.  "A gun ban will never work" is a constant refrain, along with threats that democrats will try to ban all guns.

Now, beyond the fact that no democratic leader is actually trying to ban guns, I have to wonder at their claim that bans can never work.  Because apparently, according to republicans:

Banning trans people from gendered sports will prevent unfairness and inequity
Banning/burning books will prevent white children from feeling bad
Banning abortion means there will be no more abortion
Banning masks will preserve freedom
Banning trans people from bathrooms will prevent sexual assault
Banning the teaching of black history will keep the blacks from taking over
Banning/canceling Disney will prevent impressionable kids from going trans

Is it just me, or is there a huge logical disconnect here?

https://news.umich.edu/firearms-now-top-cause-of-death-among-children-adolescents-u-m-analysis-shows/

It's not just you, it's just that certain political factions have correctly observed that introducing stress into a system makes it easier to cause the rats to bite each other. Then, whilst they are so distracted, their cages can be made smaller and smaller causing more biting and distraction until biting each other is all they care about.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Add another shooting to the list:  Mass shooting in Buffalo supermarket leaves at least 10 dead - oregonlive.com

From the link:  authorities called a “hate crime and racially motived violent extremism,”

Jerry Baumchen

All about White Replacement Theory... er Great Replacement Theory. The shooter lived 200 miles away and chose that location because it had the highest number of Blacks. According to an internet search he did and his manifesto.

"The Great Replacement” has made its way into mainstream consciousness in the past several years. From the chants of “Jews Will Not Replace Us” on the University of Virginia campus to then-U.S. Rep. Steve King’s tweeted protest, “We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies,” to Fox News’ Tucker Carlson’s complaints that the Democratic party is attempting to “replace the current electorate” with “third-world voters,” the racist conspiracy theory has well and truly arrived."

Its illegal to yell fire in a movie theater. Yet the networks that preach White nationalism are promoted, idealized.

• Like 1