5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

27 minutes ago, billvon said:
48 minutes ago, Coreece said:

That's not what I'm saying at all. 

You literally just said that - that people who don't realize that abortion is repulsive are too lazy or stupid to educate themselves

Nope, literally did not say that.

19 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
50 minutes ago, Coreece said:

That's not what I'm saying at all.  You actually have it backwards, lol.

You should try to use words that get your meaning across instead of bluffing. Life is not a card game.

fair enough, this was neither the time nor place to introduce bits of sarcasm within a serious response.

Can't win em' all.  I fold.  Good luck with your cause.

3 minutes ago, Coreece said:

fair enough, this was neither the time nor place to introduce bits of sarcasm within a serious response.

Can't win em' all.  I fold.  Good luck with your cause.

Let's take all additional abortion arguments to the abortion thread, and leave this one for the original topic.

• Like 1

Catching up on a few pages of opinions on abortion, quite interesting and educational. It's another difficult topic.

It's a cold, windy, post rain Monday morning. Based on the shotguns firing the ducks must be flying. There is an island ~500 yards away from my house. The regs require a hunter to be 300 yards from a house. A pair of semi-auto12-guage shotguns firing 3" #4 shot is more effective than an alarm clock.

Time for hot chocolate and an apple fritter. Then it's time to clean my deer hunting rifle. Another good season is over, meat in the freezer. Two bucks and two does feeding four families and a few friends healthy low-fat protein. Then a light cleaning of a few pistols, never know when one will be wanted.

Also watched an informative UK video about the history of M1 Garand, it's unmistakable "ping" sound, and it's use in video games and movies. A well known scene begins at 13:48 where the M1 ends Jaws by causing a scuba tank to explode. It includes a small discussion on the next advances in firearms with the narrator calling the German made Sturmgewehr 44 "the worlds first mass produced assault rifle." To define the term he stated that it fired in fully automatic mode and used a detachable box magazine holding 30 rounds. If that Brit definition is accurate that's great news since it eliminates 99.8% of all commonly owned firearms from being "assault weapons." Guessing on the percentage but since auto fire weapons are highly controlled in the US by federal regulation and oversight they are probably a tiny fraction of publicly owned firearms.

The college football season ends tonight with supposedly two of the best teams. Of note is both teams are in the SEC. As always it would be nice to see a game where the officials don't goof it up and there are no fights, then let the best team win. GA winning would be great. Kirby needs to break the curse that Saban holds over his former assistants.

It's squirrel season. Well, that's enough controversial stuff. Fire away.

fried squirrel.JPG

10 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Then a light cleaning of a few pistols, never know when one will be wanted.

Great plan. So, do you set them around the house in different places ready to go? Do you have one on the bed stand and another ready to chase motherfuckers down the driveway? Do you pack two at a time, one concealed and one open carry?  Have you tested your accuracy in the dark, lying down on your back, shooting (hopefully) past your toes? 

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

Great plan. So, do you set them around the house in different places ready to go? Do you have one on the bed stand and another ready to chase motherfuckers down the driveway? Do you pack two at a time, one concealed and one open carry?  Have you tested your accuracy in the dark, lying down on your back, shooting (hopefully) past your toes? 

lol - still laughing, in a good way. Let's see. Perhaps, yes and no (not sure I would have a way to know or even care if they were motherfuckers), and since my right foot is partially paralyzed running is not a good option that's why an FN 5.7 is needed, rarely carry - not that paranoid, yes, and no. 
You are making an excellent point. Training and competence is important if one hopes to successfully defend themselves. We live at the end of a fairly long dead end street. The crime rate in this area of the county is low. Not aware of any break ins or shootings anywhere near where we live. My concern is fairly low but my radar is on. Plenty of regular, recurring range time and fully capable of operating all aspects of the pistols in the dark.

Side story - we have a neighbor 2 doors down that comes to the lake on a few weekends. Their kids come and bring the 5-11 year old rug rats. I come off the lake and find 3 of them in the house playing hide and seek. That weekend they were in our house 3 times. Hmmm, had to rethink the location of the pistols and have a gentle discussion with the neighbors. Now we're also more careful about locking doors.

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

Catching up on a few pages of opinions on abortion, quite interesting and educational. It's another difficult topic.

It's a cold, windy, post rain Monday morning. Based on the shotguns firing the ducks must be flying. There is an island ~500 yards away from my house. The regs require a hunter to be 300 yards from a house. A pair of semi-auto12-guage shotguns firing 3" #4 shot is more effective than an alarm clock.

Time for hot chocolate and an apple fritter. Then it's time to clean my deer hunting rifle. Another good season is over, meat in the freezer. Two bucks and two does feeding four families and a few friends healthy low-fat protein. Then a light cleaning of a few pistols, never know when one will be wanted.

Also watched an informative UK video about the history of M1 Garand, it's unmistakable "ping" sound, and it's use in video games and movies. A well known scene begins at 13:48 where the M1 ends Jaws by causing a scuba tank to explode. It includes a small discussion on the next advances in firearms with the narrator calling the German made Sturmgewehr 44 "the worlds first mass produced assault rifle." To define the term he stated that it fired in fully automatic mode and used a detachable box magazine holding 30 rounds. If that Brit definition is accurate that's great news since it eliminates 99.8% of all commonly owned firearms from being "assault weapons." Guessing on the percentage but since auto fire weapons are highly controlled in the US by federal regulation and oversight they are probably a tiny fraction of publicly owned firearms.

The college football season ends tonight with supposedly two of the best teams. Of note is both teams are in the SEC. As always it would be nice to see a game where the officials don't goof it up and there are no fights, then let the best team win. GA winning would be great. Kirby needs to break the curse that Saban holds over his former assistants.

It's squirrel season. Well, that's enough controversial stuff. Fire away.

fried squirrel.JPG

Just about any semi auto rifle I’ve ever fired could be made to fire full auto just by trigger technique. I’m sure a bump stock really helps with this, as it did in Vegas a few years back. The old hellfire trigger springs used to help as well, but neither are necessary. With a little practice anyone can learn how to do it. I could even do it with a ruger 10-22, which I don’t think is considered an assault weapon. I don’t even like that term because it doesn’t really define anything.

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

lol - still laughing, in a good way. Let's see. Perhaps, yes and no (not sure I would have a way to know or even care if they were motherfuckers), and since my right foot is partially paralyzed running is not a good option that's why an FN 5.7 is needed, rarely carry - not that paranoid, yes, and no. 
You are making an excellent point. Training and competence is important if one hopes to successfully defend themselves. We live at the end of a fairly long dead end street. The crime rate in this area of the county is low. Not aware of any break ins or shootings anywhere near where we live. My concern is fairly low but my radar is on. Plenty of regular, recurring range time and fully capable of operating all aspects of the pistols in the dark.

Side story - we have a neighbor 2 doors down that comes to the lake on a few weekends. Their kids come and bring the 5-11 year old rug rats. I come off the lake and find 3 of them in the house playing hide and seek. That weekend they were in our house 3 times. Hmmm, had to rethink the location of the pistols and have a gentle discussion with the neighbors. Now we're also more careful about locking doors.

I'm far from anti-gun and I am a fan of home defense but having a pile of pistols laying around makes zero sense to me. In fact, unless someone gets their jollies match shooting or has had serious training and is super current I see no place for pistols in home defense. A made for purpose tactical shotgun loaded with buckshot is the only weapon that actually ticks every box including the very memorable sound it makes when the receiver slams closed. 

I am glad you didn't have a Kid on Kid shooting in your house while you were away. I would also hope you had a more than gentle discussion with yourself, starting with the realization that you simply dodged a statistical bullet and nothing you believe about guns was validated.

1 hour ago, murps2000 said:

Just about any semi auto rifle I’ve ever fired could be made to fire full auto just by trigger technique.

Umm.. not really. It can fire as fast you can pull the trigger. Something has to keep the sere depressed or the sere filed down to make it truly automatic. Both of these done in your garage is a felony (and additional felonies for each weapon). Not something you want to entertain. 

1 hour ago, murps2000 said:

which I don’t think is considered an assault weapon.

So, let's define assault weapon properly not by the liberal definition - cause just about anything that "looks" tactical and military is the scary "assault rifle." An assault rifle is any weapon that has a gas-operated blowback and is full auto. Everything else is just a rifle. 

With regard to storage - if you can afford weapons, you can afford a safe. If you feel the need to have one or two pistols at quick disposal located in a couple of strategic locations in the house - get a biometric release safe. They run about $189. If you're going to carry in your vehicle; the same biometric release safe can be mounted in the vehicle.     

If you're going to carry on your person, know what the laws for state are regarding carry (open/concealed/constitutional) and be trained on using it - and go to the range and practice - frequently. Note: If you're going to carry, you may wish to consider a slide safety - not that bullshit Glock or Springfield Arms - just have to squeeze safety. Give yourself that one split nanosecond to have to flip the safety lever down to ensure that you really really want to shoot this person AND look pass the shot.  

To Joe's point - THE BEST home defense you can have is a 12 gauge "automatic" or "pump" Not automatic fire - automatic reload the cartridge from the chamber, whereas, the pump needs to be wracked after each round - with alternating rounds of 00 Buck and deer slugs. And, if you do this - you need to put it in the safe when you leave the house. When you're in the house, put it up high in the bedroom over the closet door on a couple of rifle hooks, so wee people can't inadvertently get to it. 

NOTE: Not necessarily directed to you - but the group.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm far from anti-gun and I am a fan of home defense but having a pile of pistols laying around makes zero sense to me. In fact, unless someone gets their jollies match shooting or has had serious training and is super current I see no place for pistols in home defense. A made for purpose tactical shotgun loaded with buckshot is the only weapon that actually ticks every box including the very memorable sound it makes when the receiver slams closed. 

I am glad you didn't have a Kid on Kid shooting in your house while you were away. I would also hope you had a more than gentle discussion with yourself, starting with the realization that you simply dodged a statistical bullet and nothing you believe about guns was validated.

In general we agree. Nothing is much better than a pump shotgun. We can respectfully disagree on certain other things but I do see and acknowledge your points. Luckily I don't have a pile to manage.

Yeah the kid thing would have been terrible. I sure didn't expect to find uninvited kids wandering around inside of the house. We got slack and didn't think about that possibility.

(edited)
2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Umm.. not really. It can fire as fast you can pull the trigger. Something has to keep the sere depressed or the sere filed down to make it truly automatic.

I can understand why you might think that if you’ve never seen it done. You don’t so much hold the gun and pull the trigger. It’s more like you hold the trigger and pull the gun forward. You’ll empty a clip in seconds. If you were nearby with your eyes closed it would be difficult to distinguish it from full auto and the effect down range is similar. A skydiver I know showed me how to do it.

Edit to add: Yes, technically it is not true automatic gunfire.

Edited by murps2000

(edited)
7 hours ago, BIGUN said:

So, let's define assault weapon properly not by the liberal definition - cause just about anything that "looks" tactical and military is the scary "assault rifle." An assault rifle is any weapon that has a gas-operated blowback and is full auto. Everything else is just a rifle. 

With regard to storage - if you can afford weapons, you can afford a safe. If you feel the need to have one or two pistols at quick disposal located in a couple of strategic locations in the house - get a biometric release safe. They run about $189. If you're going to carry in your vehicle; the same biometric release safe can be mounted in the vehicle.     

If you're going to carry on your person, know what the laws for state are regarding carry (open/concealed/constitutional) and be trained on using it - and go to the range and practice - frequently. Note: If you're going to carry, you may wish to consider a slide safety - not that bullshit Glock or Springfield Arms - just have to squeeze safety. Give yourself that one split nanosecond to have to flip the safety lever down to ensure that you really really want to shoot this person AND look pass the shot.  

I wanted to add that I generally agree with all of the above, although I’m not sure if the term “assault rifle” is ever used by the militaries that employ such weapons. And I would add that a weapon doesn’t have to be an “assault rifle” to be useful in causing mass casualties. By the above definition, the worst mass shooting in US history was committed using nothing but rifles.

Edited by murps2000
Spelling

On 1/10/2022 at 9:01 AM, JoeWeber said:

Too funny. I was talking to a friend last night, another skydiver. He keeps three handguns throughout the main floor of his house. All concealed for home defense. AFAIK the community that he lives in has never had a homicide,armed robbery, nor any home invasion. Of course he's a FOX watching, trump supporter. So needless to say we don't have serious political discussions. His 40-50 other weapons are in a gun safe.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

It is somewhat ironic that he died at the hand of a good guy with a gun.

The image of two people engaging in a "gunfight" "to protect themselves" while sitting about two feet away from each other is . . . a perfect symbol of what the gun culture has become.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It is somewhat ironic that he died at the hand of a good guy with a gun.

33 minutes ago, billvon said:

The image of two people engaging in a "gunfight" "to protect themselves" while sitting about two feet away from each other is . . . a perfect symbol of what the gun culture has become.

Hey good guys need to protect their freedoms too.

All kidding aside what has America become? The GOP devotee had a previous road rage incident so clearly couldn't control himself. That didn't preclude him from getting his mandatory GOP approved carry permit.

Then he decides to assault a law abiding democrat. Obviously democrat because he was driving a white Prius. Good thing the law abiding, peace loving, Prius driver was a new age one. Also with a gun.

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Obviously democrat because he was driving a white Prius. Good thing the law abiding, peace loving, Prius driver was a new age one. Also with a gun.

Damn. And I take the risk of driving through the USA thousands of miles a year with no weapon to defend myself. I probably would, but I can't risk being arrested at the border, 

54 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Damn. And I take the risk of driving through the USA thousands of miles a year with no weapon to defend myself. I probably would, but I can't risk being arrested at the border, 

You drive a tractor trailer. You’re probably not at high risk for road rage incidents although I realize you might have to deal with some brake checking idiots from time to time. If you drove a Prius, arguably the most hated car in the US, then you might need some extra protection. I’m glad the good guy with a gun was there in his Prius this time.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Line five on your big cheques every two weeks. Just below your revenue Canada deductions. "US operation danger premium". Did you think they were just being nice?

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Line five on your big cheques every two weeks. Just below your revenue Canada deductions. "US operation danger premium". Did you think they were just being nice?

I get paid weekly. It’s the only way they can keep up.

On 1/13/2022 at 6:41 PM, murps2000 said:

You drive a tractor trailer. You’re probably not at high risk for road rage incidents although I realize you might have to deal with some brake checking idiots from time to time.

In cases like that, a tractor trailer is a much better weapon than any firearm.