5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

On 11/19/2021 at 6:33 PM, brenthutch said:

Rittenhouse will never have to work a day in his life.  His settlements will make Nick Sandmann’s look like small potatoes.

Maybe some of that money is better served going to the families of the two black men who spent long times in prison for supposedly killing Malcom X, while evidence of their innocence was withheld.

The American justice system is an absolute travesty.

13 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Maybe some of that money is better served going to the families of the two black men who spent long times in prison for supposedly killing Malcom X, while evidence of their innocence was withheld.

The American justice system is an absolute travesty.

It's decentralized, and it's run by human beings.  Anything that's decentralized and run by human beings will have its travesty moments. The US does seem to double down on confirming the power structure, but on the other hand, we're probably more public when we do find major errors than a whole lot of countries. And, to me, that's a good thing.

Wendy P.

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

It's decentralized, and it's run by human beings.  Anything that's decentralized and run by human beings will have its travesty moments. The US does seem to double down on confirming the power structure, but on the other hand, we're probably more public when we do find major errors than a whole lot of countries. And, to me, that's a good thing.

Wendy P.

Considering you needed Netflix to get this going, I am going to have to solidly disagree.

1 minute ago, BIGUN said:

C'mon, Brother. It's not like people aren't wrongly imprisoned in Canada.

Agreed. But potentially innocent people are not being put to death. There aren't shoplifters with life sentences. There isn't the continuous need to identify the political leaning of a judge whenever decisions are made.

It isn't perfect by any means, but I do believe the potential for "mistakes" and the magnitude of those mistakes is significantly different.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

C'mon, Brother. It's not like people aren't wrongly imprisoned in Canada.

Steven Truscott was sentenced to death in 1959 as a fourteen year old. Commuted to life, paroled in 1969 and conviction overturned in 2007. His conviction was based on circumstantial and forensic evidence. However the forensic evidence was largely made up garbage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Truscott

Edited by gowlerk

Add this to the cost of the second amendment. Justice Department to Pay About $130 Million to Parkland Shooting Victims "The Justice Department will pay about $130 million to 40 survivors and families of victims of the 2018 massacre at a high school in Parkland, Fla., over the F.B.I.’s failure to properly investigate two tips in the months before the shooting that suggested the gunman might open fire at a school.'

Which is a drop in the bucket: "House Joint Economic Committee, published a new report Wednesday(2019) that estimates gun violence costs the U.S. $229 billion a year.

The report used data from the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence and the Centers for Disease Control to estimate the cost of gun violence in all 50 states."

22 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

And they were sure that they were completely justified. After all, that black man with dirty toenails had a choice. Submit like he was ordered by his superiors, or die. After all, Trevon's murder was justified. What a difference a video recording can make. Twice in a week.

Edited by gowlerk

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

And they were sure that they were completely justified. After all, that black man with dirty toenails had a choice. Submit like he was ordered by his superiors, or die. After all, Trevon's murder was justified. What a difference a video recording can make. Twice in a week.

Perhaps President Biden should propose a Build Black Better spending section to include body cams for Blacks.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:13 PM, gowlerk said:

The original District Attorney, for whom one of the murderers worked as an investigator, has been arrested (charged & bonded out) for violating her oath of office (felony) and obstruction of justice (misdemeanor) in her failing to handle the case properly.

https://mynbc15.com/news/nation-world/ex-prosecutor-charged-in-ahmaud-arbery-case-booked-at-jail

4 hours ago, billeisele said:

Nah. They were out tracking all those balloons that kill birds and turtles and stuff.

Yep.  And you need a .50cal at minimum to take THEM out.  Which is why there were no large caliber weapons available to stop these bad guys.

The solution is simple - more guns.

8 hours ago, billeisele said:

Nah. They were out tracking all those balloons that kill birds and turtles and stuff.

Good. Although I don’t think they should be shot for doing it, people that release balloons are assholes. I find those Mylar ones in unbelievably remote areas. Almost always in a creek. Glad someone is taking them out before they get far.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/12/1063489922/california-governor-gavin-newsom-assault-weapons-ban-texas-abortion-law

I’m sure this isn’t news to anyone in SC by now.

State Sen. Brian Dahle, a Republican from Bieber, would oppose the plan but predicted it could probably pass California's Democratic-dominated state Legislature. He said the proposal was most likely a stunt for Newsom to win favor with his progressive base of voters ahead of a possible run for president in the future.

"The right to bear arms is different than the right to have an abortion. The right to have an abortion is not a constitutional amendment. So I think he's way off base," Dahle said. "I think he's just using it as an opportunity to grandstand.”

Technically, the way they see it up there, Bieber isn’t even in California. It’s in Jefferson, the 51st state. Despite that, I think state Sen. Dahle may have a point. Although abortion was ruled a constitutional right in the 70s, it is not written into it.

I agree with him that it will most likely pass state legislature. But what I’ll be most interested to see is, if and likely when the impending lawsuits finally reach the SC, will they let the law stand until they finally get around to ruling on it? Going to be interesting to watch.

11 hours ago, murps2000 said:

Although abortion was ruled a constitutional right in the 70s, it is not written into it.

Well, "kinda."  The Supreme Court continually decides other freedoms that do not appear in the plain text of the Constitution, but that are still protected by the Constitution (Unenumerated rights).  If memory serves, RvW falls under the 14th Amendment, Due Process clause.   

15 hours ago, murps2000 said:

...Although abortion was ruled a constitutional right in the 70s, it is not written into it.  ...

My understanding is that the Constitution was intended to limit the power of the government, not to provide an explicit list of "rights" that the people are entitled to.  The 9th amendment to the Constitution states: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

I think Kavanaugh is wrong, indeed shockingly ignorant, to argue that the Constitution is "neutral" on the issue of abortion (it does not mention abortion anywhere), and therefore the right does not exist.  If the Constitution does not explicitly mention abortion, that means the government has no business banning it.  To argue otherwise is to argue that the 9th amendment is meaningless.  This was actually the position taken by Robert Bork, and it was one of several reasons why he was so strongly opposed when he was nominated to the Supreme Court.

Edited by GeorgiaDon
spelling
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I think Kavanaugh is wrong, indeed shockingly ignorant, to argue that the Constitution is "neutral" on the issue of abortion (it does not mention abortion anywhere), and therefore the right does not exist. 

Indeed.  One contemplates that the terms "assault weapon" "pickup truck" "SUV" or "televangelist" do not appear in the Constitution either.