5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

Last week a 3-year-old boy fatally shot his 8-month-old baby brother in the family home in Houston. 

Last year at least 371 children came across a loaded gun and fired it, causing 143 deaths and 243 injuries. 

Research shows that 39 percent of gun owners have no safety training and only 14 percent of the people who live with gun owners had any safety training.

Disgraceful!

9 minutes ago, kallend said:

Research shows that 39 percent of gun owners have no safety training and only 14 percent of the people who live with gun owners had any safety training.

Disgraceful!

So, what you're saying is - that 8 hour class on the legalities of carrying and 20 minutes of shooting 50 rounds at a target 25 feet away ain't cutting it?

"Disgraceful!" I agree. 

I also find it silly that annual currency training for concealed carry permits is not a requirement. 

And another. . . . 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56770200

Eight people were killed in a mass shooting at an Indianapolis FedEx facility on Thursday night, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Genae Cook said.

Authorities were aware of multiple other injured victims in hospitals, one of whom was in critical condition, she said during a media briefing early Friday.

4 hours ago, kallend said:

And another. . . . 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56770200

Eight people were killed in a mass shooting at an Indianapolis FedEx facility on Thursday night, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Genae Cook said.

Authorities were aware of multiple other injured victims in hospitals, one of whom was in critical condition, she said during a media briefing early Friday.

Well Wayne LaPierre would send some prayers but he's kinda busy now. NRA Board Member Demanding Probe of Wayne LaPierre Testifies That Bankruptcy Petition Blindsided Him

"The NRA’s Chapter 11 petition suggested that the decision was made in consultation with the board during a Jan. 7 meeting this year, but Journey claimed that this assertion was a fraud upon the court, as the judge claims that he and other board members were not informed about that decision."

(edited)
On 4/15/2021 at 8:52 AM, BIGUN said:

So, what you're saying is - that 8 hour class on the legalities of carrying and 20 minutes of shooting 50 rounds at a target 25 feet away ain't cutting it?

"Disgraceful!" I agree. 

I also find it silly that annual currency training for concealed carry permits is not a requirement. 

Some of the most restrictive states don't even require live fire. In MA I didn't have to fire a single round. I wasn't a new gun owner, but if I was it would have been a stretch to call the course training.

Instead they have focused on restricting weapons and features, for example they require specific lab certification of specific firearms before they can be sold by licensed dealers which limit consumer choice. Their AWB doesn't actual ban "assault" weapons, it just means you have to buy old pre Federal AWB firearms and magazines for insanely inflated prices because of grandfathering. I don't think any of these things have resulted in a net increase in safety, which should be the goal.

How about a tit for tat. I am would be a big proponent for more thorough background checks, along with a character and psychological evaluation, and annual qualifying on proficiency if the process was fair and followed due process with a means for appeal, if that same legislation also was paired with national concealed carry reciprocity.

You don't need to be a lawyer to figure out the driving laws in each state at an operational level, and you can take your privately owned vehicle across state lines without becoming an unintended felon. The same can not be said about a legally owned firearm.

Edited by DougH

(edited)
35 minutes ago, DougH said:

I am would be a big proponent for more thorough background checks, along with a character and psychological evaluation, and annual qualifying on proficiency if the process was fair and followed due process with a means for appeal, if that same legislation also was paired with national concealed carry reciprocity.

You don't need to be a lawyer to figure out the driving laws in each state at an operational level, and you can take your privately owned vehicle across state lines without becoming an unintended felon.

OK You're on the committee. 

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:52 AM, BIGUN said:

"Disgraceful!" I agree. 

How about we start with an intelligence test?

Exhibit #1.png

Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert are lone votes against reauthorizing bill to help Leukemia patients

Greene, who often makes outlandish claims to seek headlines, claimed that "Nothing in this bill prevents the funding of aborted fetal tissue by taxpayers." ...The program keeps an inventory of cord blood and a database of bone marrow donors for matches with patients diagnosed with leukemia and other fatal blood diseases and is not related to the fetal tissue argument raised by Greene or the argument raised by Boebert.

.... the National Marrow Donor Program said in a statement, "National Marrow Program (NMDP)/Be The Match does not use fetal tissue/embryonic stem cells for transplant or research. For more than 30 years, NMDP/Be The Match has helped facilitate more than 105,000 transplants for patients battling blood cancers and blood diseases. We only use cells voluntarily donated by either an adult donor, or cells collected from the umbilical cord, which occurs only after a full-term delivery where both mother and baby are healthy and safe."

(edited)

"

Indianapolis police say a gunman who opened fire at a FedEx warehouse killing eight people had legally bought the two assault rifles he used, despite having a shotgun confiscated months earlier.

Brandon Hole's mother had warned about his mental state last March and police had taken a gun he owned away from him.

But he was subsequently able to buy two assault rifles in July and September."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56791321 

This is why there should be no sales allowed by unlicensed dealers. This is why there needs to be a database that includes mental health. 

You could hardly dream up more of a gimmie to identify someone who shouldn't have been able to buy a gun. Yet this guy could, and did.

The entire concept of an industry that is federally regulated by having licenses to sell a product, but then also allows sales by unlicensed people as well is insane. It's an all or nothing thing. You either require regulation or you don't.

Edited by yoink

4 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I want the pink or purple one.   

As I think about it, and I'm not really joking, I might be just fine with AR-15's, 20 round clips and the rest if they were all Hot Pink or Neon Green or International Orange. That alone might stop most shootings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

As I think about it, and I'm not really joking, I might be just fine with AR-15's, 20 round clips and the rest if they were all Hot Pink or Neon Green or International Orange. That alone might stop most shootings.

I would vote for International Orange - ya gots to wear orange when you go hunting, right. If the argument is - hunting or even target shooting - what would be wrong with that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I would vote for International Orange - ya gots to wear orange when you go hunting, right. If the argument is - hunting or even target shooting - what would be wrong with that. 

What would be wrong is that it would make plain what the real pro gun arguments are for a lot of people. You know, the people who claim they like to wear their war pants skydiving because they are so, so comfy.

Actually, when I was trying to get my name into the CA background check list to buy ammunition, the gun store suggested I buy a brightly colored, carbon fiber, AR-15 lower. Since they were serialized it would have got me into the background check system and they were only $40.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Hi John,

And, since this one was a black man, that probably just reinforces the response of our 'not so nice' * LEOs when they stop the next black driver.

Jerry Baumchen

*  NOTE:  I do not mean the vast majority LEOs who are very decent, responsible people.