5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

(edited)

Boulder population latest estimate: 106,000.   So in this chart, the annual murders/100,000 can be interpreted as the actual number.  This means Boulder just had as many murders in one day, as it normally has in a decade.

Source: https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Boulder-Colorado.html

boulder-murder-rate.png

Edited by ryoder

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

And that, is not a "gun problem" that is a "people (mental health) problem."

It is a people problem. It is caused by the selfish entitled American people who feel that the "right" to possess the tools of war as toys is more important than the damage it causes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

It is caused by the selfish entitled American people who feel that the "right" to possess the tools of war

We don't "feel" that way; it's guaranteed in writing.

And, can we not do the name calling thing. You can make your point without getting inflammatory. I know; I've seen you do it. 

• Like 3

(edited)
28 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

And, can we not do the name calling thing. You can make your point without getting inflammatory. I know; I've seen you do it. 

Easy BIGUN, we all know its a generalization arising from frustration borne of concern. If he wasn't frustrated and didn't care....well you know.

To the topic at hand: "Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa, the man accused of killing 10 people in a grocery store attack in Colorado, was found guilty of misdemeanor assault when he was a high school senior, and the police in his hometown, Arvada, a suburb of Denver, said they had a separate encounter with him based on a report of “criminal mischief.”

According to a police affidavit, just a week ago, he bought a Ruger AR-556 pistol, though it is not clear that was the weapon used in the killings.

Students at Arvada West High School recalled Mr. Alissa in interviews as being prone to angry outbursts, and one said that “out of nowhere” he had became enraged and beat up another student during a class — apparently the incident that led to the assault conviction.

On Monday, law enforcement officials say Mr. Alissa, 21, who lived in Arvada, went to a King Soopers store in nearby Boulder and killed 10 people."

So a man who was violent, short-tempered and paranoid during high school, his former classmates said Tuesday. doesn't preclude purchase of such firearms in Colorado! This story should be read as it outlines who should not own guns.

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Inflammatory? It is simply the plain truth. Americans are just plain blinded and you personally are among the most blind. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Inflammatory? It is simply the plain truth. Americans are just plain blinded and you personally are among the most blind. 

I disagree. He started a thread about a year and a half ago. Whereby at the end of the thread there was agreement from himself, wolfriverjoe, and a few others as to what reasonable legislation should be enacted.

• Like 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Easy BIGUN, we all know its a generalization arising from frustration borne of concern. If he wasn't frustrated and didn't care....well you know.

Phil, here's what I do know and before everyone does the BIGUN dogpile. In the past three years, my daughter's school has been placed on lockdown several times. And, it seems like this, like most things, has an attention span in here of dissipating until the next event. Then everyone starts getting all - "America's Freedom Sucks" again.

Here's where "I'm" at . . .

~Two years ago, I spent a considerable amount of time writing up a manifesto for the left - the only one to take action on here was TK and he put it square in his platform while running for office. Some from Canada didn't even realize the baseplate was their own Canadian gun laws. Some from Britain poo poo'd it as not enough. In those same past ~two years, how many on here have written to their representatives about gun legislation.

Here's where "we're" at . . .

There will never be a change to the US Constitution rescinding the second amendment and anyone on here who thinks it ever would is fooling themselves. So, what "we're" left with is "Well-regulated." How much more - there's somewhere around 2,000 federal and state gun control laws - How's that working for you? /drphil voice.  

There's currently legislation that has two major components, 1) It would make the waiting period a firm 10 days; no instachecks, here's your gun, thank you, and 2)  It closes the "Gun Show" loophole - all sales of weapons including private would have to go through a licensed gun dealer with the exception of spousal gifts. Now, here's the silly part - I'll sell you this gun and we'll back date the bill of sale to before the legislation took effect. And, the Democrats will realize their mistake and make a new law changing the first law and the Republicans will cry - SEE!! They're incrementing their way to take our guns!! And, the SCOTUS will step in and, and . . .

And, the Democrats will rise up at the next event and holler louder and say, WE NEED TO DO MORE!!! Those evil nasty AR's are at fault - they need to be BANNED!!! And, the Republicans will say - SEE!!! They want more legislation. They want our guns. They want to take away my choice of guns, my FREEDOM!!!

You don't hear about these things:

https://ballotpedia.org/Federal_policy_on_laws_governing_guns_and_firearms,_2017-2020

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5717/text

The bottom line, Phil is: Until both sides are willing to sit down and negotiate for all of America on this point - nothing is going to change. Nothing. Everybody is saying words and pointing fingers, but nobody is actually DOING anything.  

And, it will happen again.   

Edited by BIGUN
Correction
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

And that, is not a "gun problem" that is a "people (mental health) problem."

And yet that helps . . . not at all.

Sure, crazy people kill other people and shouldn't have guns.  But this guy wasn't crazy.  He was just an angry kid with a temper problem, like probably 10% of the kids in the US.  

This "mental health" thing tends to lead to a circular argument which is why the gun lobby likes it so much.

X: We need better control of who gets guns.
GL: This isn't a gun problem!  This is a MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEM!

X: We need better control of who gets guns if they have mental health issues.
GL: So if anyone goes to a shrink you take away their guns?  No one is going to go to a shrink then!  You will cause the problem you are trying to avoid, moron!

X: We need to make mental health care more accessible to _everyone_ so it's not stigmatized.
GL (with support from the right) - So now you're going into my wallet to steal money from me and give it to criminals, bullies, thugs, illegal immigrants and pedophiles?  What's wrong with just enforcing the law?

X: Yes, we need to enforce the law - and that law should include better control of who gets guns.
GL: This isn't a gun problem!  This is a MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEM!

And repeat indefinitely.

(Not saying that you are making these arguments - just listing what I've seen in the past from the gun lobby.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billvon said:

(Not saying that you are making these arguments - just listing what I've seen in the past from the gun lobby.)

Not at all. And you know I was fueling the fire with the "Mental Health Problem." 

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

A piece of me is just happy that people aren’t jumping all over the Arabic-sounding name and yelling ISIS

You haven't waited long enough. Law Enforcement, Good Christian father, seven children vs. someone named Ali.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa definitely sounds like a white supremacist.

Distract by throwing race and religion into the equation. SOP for the culture war.

Wendy, you're too late.

Edited by Phil1111

52 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

how many on here have written to their representatives about gun legislation.

I have. As much as I favour the Canadian gun laws, they continue to have problems and I have contacted representatives multiple times to voice my opinion on making our laws a little less restrictive and arbitrary.