BIGUN

The Future

It's a great time to be alive - Technology, Energy, Space, etc. How cool is this - stick a water quality sensor in a dishwasher and it pushes the data to the water municipality. 

"A systems engineer by trade and a problem-solver by nature, I repurposed our dishwasher’s sensor to create my first water-quality measurement device. When technicians don’t have real-time visibility into what’s going on across the water distribution system, utilities companies either splurge on a single sensor bound to one location or rely on manual measurement, which can be costly and time-consuming. By simply getting access to the right information, each community water system in the U.S. could save thousands of dollars — and lives — annually for every sample collection point they have on-site."

SOURCE: https://blog.google/outreach-initiatives/entrepreneurs/varuna-world-water-day?utm_source=HPP&utm_medium=Keyword&utm_campaign=Varuna   

1 hour ago, mistercwood said:

This is why I'm going to find death really annoying - I don't get to see all the cool shit yet to come.

What a crap attitude. No one has ever enjoyed what comes beyond their life. Rejoice and try every cool thing available now or die having wasted your life. I had a contract to fly the LYNX rocket to space that went to hell. Could have  thrown my money away on the the Branson thing but who wants to go weightless with six pukers, I thought. That's done now and there is always the next thing. I missed out on the Concorde but until you've flown First Class on the Emirates 380 you have not flown. There are many, many more things on offer now. More than you will ever be able to do. Enjoy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, airdvr said:

All the tech coming is very cool...until your drive by wire computer gives you the blue screen of death.

And the Captain still has his job. Whatever. He was there living his today. When you want to live today you accept that shit happens. Anyone can pick at a scab. Hanging your ass out to the point you might get a scab and being cool with that is the secret to a happy life, seems to me.  

42 minutes ago, airdvr said:

All the tech coming is very cool...until your drive by wire computer gives you the blue screen of death.

"Simon Johnson, the yacht’s captain, re-affirmed to The Daily Herald newspaper in St. Maarten that a computer malfunction seems to be the culprit. As he was holding the yacht steady near the Simpson Bay Bridge, “the yacht started moving mysteriously forward. There was nothing I seemed to be able to do; all the controls on the bridge were showing normal. I called the engine room, and everything was normal down there. I found I had extremely limited control, almost limited to only the bow thruster, but with now only 50 meters between us and the bridge, I had to make a decision fast.” To avoid colliding with the bridge and running aground on rocks (and thereby risk spilling fuel), “My preferred option was to point the bow towards the yacht club dock, and beach her gently there.”

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

It's a great time to be alive - Technology, Energy, Space, etc. How cool is this - stick a water quality sensor in a dishwasher and it pushes the data to the water municipality. 

"A systems engineer by trade and a problem-solver by nature, I repurposed our dishwasher’s sensor to create my first water-quality measurement device. When technicians don’t have real-time visibility into what’s going on across the water distribution system, utilities companies either splurge on a single sensor bound to one location or rely on manual measurement, which can be costly and time-consuming. By simply getting access to the right information, each community water system in the U.S. could save thousands of dollars — and lives — annually for every sample collection point they have on-site."

SOURCE: https://blog.google/outreach-initiatives/entrepreneurs/varuna-world-water-day?utm_source=HPP&utm_medium=Keyword&utm_campaign=Varuna   

Hi Keith,

Re:  It's a great time to be alive

It always is; well, unless one lives in the slums of Brazil or somewhere similar.

My maternal grandmother*, born in 1879 - died 1967, saw a lot of technology develop during her time here.  From no electricity, using an outhouse to seeing men in space.  My kid's will probably think the same about me.  Of course, we now wonder how anything got done without a smartphone.

Jerry Baumchen

*  She is still the most influential person in my life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Hi Keith ( again :$ ),

Re:  Technology, Energy, Space, etc.

I'm admittedly biased, but IMO one of the best things one can do is to get their kid(s) a decent STEM education.*  Then sit back and see what happens.

Jerry Baumchen 

* Mine got degrees in Graphic Arts ( now a director of a Japanese hi-tech company ) and law ( now works for the Oregon Dep't of Justice ) - in today's money, both make far, far more than I ever did.  

Watch them soar!

The future is going to be just as messy as the past was; we tend to remember the successes, and the massive failures. We accept the everyday failures that hurt and/or kill people every day, and decry ones that, while saving 100 people, kill 1. Used to be that "seat belts will keep you trapped in your car." Think of all the respiratory illness from coal-fired power and manufacturing.

Automation of driving will undoubtedly kill some people. But a far larger number who would have died won't -- and those who don't die are silent about it, because no one knows they'll die in a fiery wreck caused by some moron (maybe themselves) texting, sliding, eating, or whatever while driving.

I'm happy to have lived when I did, and would enjoy the future, but not all the endless technology infrastructure assumptions sometimes. I did learn how to program my VCR and thermostat, but I do wish the new wifi-possible thermostat for my house were simpler...

Wendy P

And I'm over here like, man I just want to go back in time before the white people landed on N America... Part of me is sorry for bringing my last two children into this "society" of ours. But like any father who deeply loves is babies, I'll do everything within my grasp to see them happy. Hate to be a Debby downer, but the future scares me.    

11 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I was actually following that, very interesting! Do you have any insider stories? All I know of course is what's publicly available about when they went bankrupt.

I recall when I handed the contract to my long time attorney he said, Joe, if anyone other than you handed me this I'd think it was a joke. All I can tell you is that either way you are probably fucked. It did seem plausible to me that might work, I guess. I sort of knew it was a hope in one hand kind of deal but probably my only chance to get past the Kármán line without waiting 4.5 Billion years. Joie de vivre, right?

6 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I recall when I handed the contract to my long time attorney he said, Joe, if anyone other than you handed me this I'd think it was a joke. All I can tell you is that either way you are probably fucked. It did seem plausible to me that might work, I guess. I sort of knew it was a hope in one hand kind of deal but probably my only chance to get past the Kármán line without waiting 4.5 Billion years. Joie de vivre, right?

But that's still pretty cool and a nice story. There's still hope, SpaceX is making stunningly rapid progress! ^_^

10 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

And the Captain still has his job. Whatever. He was there living his today. When you want to live today you accept that shit happens. Anyone can pick at a scab. Hanging your ass out to the point you might get a scab and being cool with that is the secret to a happy life, seems to me.  

Sarcasm Joe.  I actually look forward to the tech advancements.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:59 AM, RonD1120 said:

If you change your life philosophy you might get to see it while it is being created. I will.

Me too. Only through the power a Atheism and turning ones self over to the TRUTH of no sky Wizard can this be achieved. Try for yourself and you will agree

Others are being tricked by powers greater than they can comprehend