1 1
SethInMI

the filibuster

the filibuster yea or nay  

21 members have voted

1. 1. is the filibuster good for the USA?

• yes. it protects minorities and preserves the status quo
    • no. it stymies the will of the people
    • boobies. USA! USA!

44 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

I’m curious because I can’t figure it out from your posts. Are you for or against ending the filibuster? You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.

As a libertarian, I don’t like the government to move quickly in any direction.  But if it has to move,I think it better to move with consensus from both sides of the political spectrum.

53 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

As a libertarian, I don’t like the government to move quickly in any direction.  But if it has to move,I think it better to move with consensus from both sides of the political spectrum.

Oh, piffle. You aren't a libertarian, as if any truly exist, you are a contrarian.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I’m still not sure if you’re in favor or not but I agree with both of those points, although not as a libertarian. I think consensus might not be achievable in the near future. You mentioned several reasons why eliminating the filibuster might result in government moving without said consensus. I think those are valid and realistic points. Mitch McConnell himself has already talked of a scorched earth policy if the filibuster is eliminated. It should be well understood by now what the right will do with any branch of government they gain control of. For that reason I would like the filibuster to be retained. But I also agree that government should not move too quickly. Reinstatement of the talking filibuster would help achieve that.

13 hours ago, wmw999 said:

All in two years? That's a pretty tall order.

Because, you know, unless they gerrymander the shit out of the country, they'll lose that majority. Unless you approve of gerrymandering and making voting harder for your opponent as well. It's telling that no matter how low someone can go, the Republicans can go lower.

Wendy P.

i heard that mostly the gop has won in their respective states and are setting up the new districts, so let the silly lines commence.  i know in wv they are gutting the shit out of everything we got in the last decades through hard work and with much blood spilled.  they made it illegal officially for the teachers to strike since they did so well last time and eliminated the water protection laws, or what was left of them after they gutted them last time.  300k had no water for months and hundreds dies, i had a friend who miscarried.  the gop are evil, all of them, no exceptions as a party.  fuck every last one of them, at least in wv.   god it sucks so bad living here, where all of my family is.  if i could go, i'd e gone in a heartbeat.