1 1
ST0RMTROOP3R

Vmag Chin Mount Camera System

helmet_01.jpg.1b72018b374ce9514486d7cb1f07beca.jpg

Anyone that has had any experience with this product have any positives or negatives about it? I have heard that the footage can be not as great compared to a top of the head mount? I have also heard the opposite. If anyone has some footage taken from this perspective I would love to see it! I like the idea of a chin mount compared to a top of the head style but I wanted to get some more input before I make a decision one way or another...Thank you for any info you can provide.

I love the convenience of it. My head mount got ripped off by some excited jumper yelling "dooooor" and slamming the door open--so at least this won't happen with this one. Videos are good when POV filming on a freefly jump, as well as when flying above a group as video flyer, but at least for my flying style, on a belly group jump, filmed from the inside perspective, you get a different view than top of the head.
Even with the camera pointed as far up as it goes on my G3, I get a viewpoint that is a bit too low, showing more bellies than faces--but that may be a good thing, because it's teaching me to fly more with my chin up on belly formation, improving my view on the formation in general. ;)
Funny, about them being banned. In terms of safety they seem much better than the standard top of the helmet mounts--especially the default GoPro ones with the big thumb-screw. They pull straight off. I also like that they can be mounted without drilling any holes or sticking any tape on the helmet and I can use my helmet for head-down tunnel training, because I can keep the black tape on top of it, so it doesn't get eaten up by the net.

Here are some inside perspectives from belly group and coaching jumps and one freefly jump, showing the camera perspective. You can see how it's ok sometimes but can get low, if you're flying with your head down or are a bit low on the formation. But then again: Inside video on belly jumps is always of dubious quality, no matter the camera or mount:

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 6.39.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 6.39.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 6.41.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 6.46.31 PM.png

On 3/15/2021 at 5:36 PM, ST0RMTROOP3R said:

helmet_01.jpg.1b72018b374ce9514486d7cb1f07beca.jpg

Anyone that has had any experience with this product have any positives or negatives about it? I have heard that the footage can be not as great compared to a top of the head mount? I have also heard the opposite. If anyone has some footage taken from this perspective I would love to see it! I like the idea of a chin mount compared to a top of the head style but I wanted to get some more input before I make a decision one way or another...Thank you for any info you can provide.

I've seen at my DZ 2 of the Vmag mounts lost due to being knocked loose.

I use the chinmount.com version. Great quality, lowest profile, low price, if you bump into something, it dislodges instead of departs. The Grellfab chinmount is similar in this respect, but the Grellfab is much bulkier than the chinmount.com mount.  I ordered it with a bunch of extra "up" angle because I fly with my head lower than the young kids.

Top of head stalk-type mounts are lousy not only because they can snag not only a main or main PC. More important is they are in a great position during most cutaways to snag part of the deploying reserve as it passes by the back of your head. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ST0RMTROOP3R said:

Maybe once I get some more jumps under my belt...

Actually, if your profile is correct you shouldn't be concerning yourself with cameras or mounts at all. I believe 200 is the recommended number of jumps you should have before you start thinking about that.

20 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Actually, if your profile is correct you shouldn't be concerning yourself with cameras or mounts at all. I believe 200 is the recommended number of jumps you should have before you start thinking about that.

Oh totally! I am just an avid researcher and like to know as much as possible before making a decision. I agree that waiting until I have the skills and knowledge before jumping a camera are more important! 

On 3/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, ST0RMTROOP3R said:

Anyone that has had any experience with this product have any positives or negatives about it? 

Two minor nits:

1) It requires a steeper angle for doing real video

2) It makes it harder to see your handles if you use a gopro size camera

My first video system was a chin mounted camera with a recorder in a pocket.  It worked OK - but the camera was the size of a dime so it didn't interfere with anything.  

(edited)
On 3/18/2021 at 10:12 PM, billvon said:

Two minor nits:

1) It requires a steeper angle for doing real video

2) It makes it harder to see your handles if you use a gopro size camera

My first video system was a chin mounted camera with a recorder in a pocket.  It worked OK - but the camera was the size of a dime so it didn't interfere with anything.  

I agree the view from the chin is not as good as the top of a helmet, but it still is nice.

I disagree about interference with moving the head down for the chinmount.com design at least.  That one is very tight/low profile to the helmet.  I've used it with a gopro Session for almost 3 years.

It is easy for jumpers to think they'll just cutaway or breakaway a snagged top mount camera. It is not so much the snag with a main that really bothers me. The unappreciated risk is entanglement of a top mounted camera with a deploying reserve bridle/lines/whatever. Reserves are often deployed while in a head high, even back to the wind orientation, resulting in the reserve deploying past a helmet. This is when being really snag resistant is critical. At least 2 incidents in the last few years of reserves being found on the ground fouled by cameras, I believe.

Edited by sundevil777
  • Like 1