baronn

P Ponk upgrade in a 56 182 (no cowl flaps)

Anyone operating a 182 A plane with a P Ponk conversion?? More specifically, any overheating/shock cooling issues without the cowl flaps? I have a 59. It has cowl flaps. I have an opportunity to get a 56. They of course, don't have any cowl flaps. The 56 has the tall gear and it looks like I could hang a 90" prop on that sucker. Trying to get some info to make a better decision. Any help is appreciated.

I can't speak for the pponk upgrade, but I own a 61 d model 182 (470l) with cowl flaps and a 6 cylinder engine monitor as well as have flown a fair bit of jumpers in a 56 with the same engine. I have spent a considerable amount of time tightening up my baffles yet the 56 seems to run way cooler than mine even when flown 40mph slower. I cruise climb at 120 in my 61 and struggle to keep it below 390, in the 56 I climb at 80 and hardly ever break 380. Pulling back the power to 15" 2 minutes to jump run and decending at 15" shock cooling doesn't seem to be an issue even without cowl flaps.

Without an engine analyzer your only guessing what your engine is really doing. In heavy, hot conditions I can sometime see cylinder temps on the aft cylinders reaching 400. It's easy to cool them by increasing airspeed and as you get higher its a great tool for leaning. This is on a 56 182 w/470-L. I think the advantage for the cowl flaps comes into play when they are closed for cruise flight. The opening on the bottom cowling of the early 182's is pretty significant. Take a look and compare the 56 to the 59. I would check with the STC holder before I made a decision.
P.Ponk Aviation
Phone: (360) 629-4812
Fax: (360) 629-4811
E-mail: [email protected]
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I've had 3 1957's with Pponk, no issues at all, cylinders have gone 1000's of hours, we never used any additional engine monitoring systems beside stock. Make sure you get the larger "sea plane" oil cooler. I use Lawson Aviation in Michigan and I highly recommend them for overhauls

A couple of comments, somewhat unrelated. You can safely run without a modern engine monitor, but you can run a hell of a lot more efficiently with a 6 cylinder monitor. I'm running a Texas Skyways 520 with the high compression cylinders (standard). That engine loses 10% power if running overly rich (EGT 1200 +/-) and burns a lot more fuel!

Again unrelated, PPonk STC goes back to some model in the late 60s as I recall, but for sure nothing before the model change with the 182E. Those airplanes are all operating on a Field Approval. The FAA will not give field approval on any increase of more than 10%. I figured out that they work that system by putting a data plate on the engine indicating 250 hp.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ